Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Maynard Action (Read 1654 times)
Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Maynard Action
Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Playing with the design of a Maynard based on pictures. Don’t have an original.and have some questions.

1. Thickness of the action?  My guess is one inch.
2. C-C distance between the barrel pivot and the lever pivot for a sense of scale? My guess is 2.63”.
3. Barrel lugs?  Monoblock is an option but an old Contender barrel seems to be silver brazed.

Would appreciate any input. Don’t know where this is going but an interesting design.
Chuck

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Maynard Action
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
The thickness is generally just over an inch. It varies as the 1882 actions were made up from repurchased Civil War carbines and they were re-polished and rehardened.
The octagon part of the barrels is .975 across the flats. Round barrels were 1.060" diameter at the breech.
I made up my barrels with a fully machined monobloc with the barrel screwed into it from the front. The Harper's Ferry repro Maynards had brazed on lugs. Steve Jensco brazed his lugs on. Larry Romano has used several methods but the lugs were always separate  pieces.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Hmmmmm, Chuck you seem to be where I was 5 months ago on the Sharps!   
It’s a deep hole……be careful, you are right at the edge! Cheesy
It will be interesting to see where this goes, Maynard’s are an interesting gun.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2023 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Chuck I could send you an action as a go by, as we say around here. I will not be needing it to copy for awhile.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2023 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
DB, Thank you. Exactly what I needed. Interesting comments on the barrel lugs. Later decision.

Bob, Yeah, been there and done that. We will see where it goes.

Rodney, Thank you. PM sent. Sorry to hear about the fire. One of my horrors. If there is anything I have that you need during this period, let me know and I will send it.
Chuck

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2023 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks to Rodney and Deadeye Bly, here is a PDF layout of my version of a Maynard action.
Made some changes in the extractor, hammer retractor and added set triggers.
Comments and critiques are appreciated.
Chuck

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 152 KB | 136 Downloads )

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Interesting. Your hammer looks more like the 1873 hammer. You should set the spur lower more like the 1882 hammer. The 1873 hammer blocked your vision at the instant the rifle fired making it difficult to call your shots. Your extractor mechanism looks interesting. That was one of the weak areas on the Maynard. Dick Binger made a set trigger for a Maynard once, said he would not do it again. You may find info on it. I think he wrote it up in the ASSRA magazine. Here's a picture of the 1882 hammer on top of an 1873 hammer:
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2023 at 6:03pm by Deadeye Bly »  

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Chuck,
When I built my Maynard, I used an original action and drew the parts, as you have done. I then had the drawings converted to Solidworks files, which allowed printing of the parts. This was very helpful to proof the parts prior to making chips. Attached is a photo of most of the Maynard parts which are accurate enough to interchange with an original action.
I have the Solidworks files of all the parts and a box of most of these parts printed. If you can use the files or need a plastic copy of the part, let me know and I can send it to you.
My Maynard DST is a version of a set of DST's attributed to Dick Binger. I did this project by trial and error and wish that I had done a solid model first. 
The Maynard is the gift that keeps on giving. After you complete the action, there is the Hadley gear driven tang sight or the Hadley cap to allow CF or RF cartridges, etc, etc.
Have fun
Otto

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2023 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
DB, thank you. Never noticed the difference in hammers but pretty obvious when pointed out.
The extractor is similar to a Stevens Tip-up. May have to be high strength steel due to bending loads.
Looks like a variation of Ballard set triggers will work. Receiver had to be about 1/4" longer.
Never learned how to use Solid Modeling but would be nice in some cases.
Chuck

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2023 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Neighbor's picture. Progress on a Maynard action.
Going to have to weld on the tang.
Chuck

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 6th, 2023 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Welded tangs are OK on repros. Romano welded his on. Sheetz welded his on except his 1st one. Much simpler to machine separately and weld on. What is that hole for halfway up the side of the front extension of the frame?

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 6th, 2023 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the verification of welding on the tang. 
That hole is for the extractor pivot as shown in the earlier layout PDF.
Hopefully trading some ease of barrel removal for a better extractor.
Chuck

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint