Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Case trimmer (Read 521 times)
Longknife

Case trimmer
Jan 24th, 2023 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Can anyone ID this case trimmer. It is at a local gun shop and he said , make an offer, so what's it worth? THANKS,,, LK

IP Logged

Longknife

Re: Case trimmer
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Also has two bullet molds. Oner appears to be aluminum and marked C.S.A. the other one is steel. They are both 50 cal. I have only seen pictures of these I will go tomorrow and make an offer when I find out what he has.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 5:41am
Print Post  
The trimmer looks like a Forster. CSA = C. Sharps Arms mold.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 6:31am
Print Post  
Agree, it's a Forster trimmer, but not gold anodized like mine.

<div class=

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Herter’s made a knockoff of the Forster trimmer; it could be one of theirs.

I have one with the Forster turning and holding parts grafted onto a shop-made aluminum base.  Easier to hold in a vise; whereas I needed to put a wood base on the “real” Forster setup to be able to clamp it down in order to trim with an electric drill, or even to crank hard on overlong case mouths.

A well-set-up Forster should have all three collets to hold (pretty much) all sizes of shell rims.  A few case mouth mandrels in different caliber sizes also increases the usability.  The parts are available from Forster, at a price.

I sold one maybe 10 years ago with a couple collets and mandrels for $45 shipped, IIRC.  It was the “standard” length base; I think there’s a short and a long one also available.  Forster’s catalog is On Line; you could go to that and see what all that stuff goes for today, if it’s available.

They do a good job of trimming, but I find my Lyman trimmer is more easily changed around for the miscellany of calibers I shoot.  The Forsters I found I leave set up for .45-70 and .44-77.  I had to bore out a collet holder to fit the rim of the latter.

Moulds used to be ~$30/cavity or less, unless they were unusual or rare.  They seem to edged up to ~$45/cavity or more, now that we’re “building back better.”  IME, .50 calibers don’t show up very often.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 10:08am
Print Post  
It's a HERTER.  The Forster's are marked on the side of the base, which is a bit different extrusion.   I have both -- the Herter has a little heavier base, but inferior case holders and cutters.

CHRIS

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Someone brought the following in to the local gun shop to sell and  they sent my son pics, knowing we are into the old stuff!

2 RCBS 50-90 sharps 46614 three die sets
1 RCBS 50-90 trim die 55000
1 C Sharps SC Alum mold block 50 440
1 unidentified steel SC mold block (50?) 
1 Herters case trimmer
1 RCBS Posi prime
1 box, 20 rounds 50 90 loaded cartridges
   (apparently commercially made by ?) 

My first question was "WHERES THE RIFLE????" We are going down today for more info and see if there is an asking price. I have a 50-70, a couple of 45-70's and a 45-110....maybe this is an OMEN!!!!! Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint