Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crimping Heeled Bullets (Read 644 times)
John Schluter

Crimping Heeled Bullets
Jan 23rd, 2023 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
This question may well be in the wrong forum, but does anyone know how to crimp a heeled bullet. Thinking specifically of the 41 Long Colt which obviously ain't a rifle cartridge. But I thought it was worth a try.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Re: Crimping Heeled Bullets
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Here you go,  contact him for help and equipement

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
I've loaded a lot of .44 Long, .38 Long, and .32 Long, which all use heeled bullets. Nothing really hard about loading or seating bullets, and getting slight compression on the case mouths.
I simply set up the bullet depth to seat against the case mouth, and adjust the seating die to remove the slight bell put on the case. They don't need a lot of crimp (if any) to shoot them in a single shot rifle. Even if you could pull the bullets with your finger it's not an issue as long as they chamber fine.

IP Logged

John Schluter

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the useful info.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
It's feasible make a collet type die to do this, if you really NEED a crimp.  For wimpy loads a tight neck usually suffices.
CHRIS

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
I too load a lot of heel bullets in both rimfire and centerfire cases. Bernie's crimp dies are nice, but there are alteratives. The easiest is to use loctite. Also, if you size the case mouth to be .001" - .002" under heel diameter and chamfer the case mouth and the bullet's heel, they can be pressed in with a nice snug fit. I make a lot of heel bullets by turning the heel of regular bullets on the lathe. I just did these .38 Colts last week.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2023 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
the Lee collet style factory crimp dies can be used and modified for other cases. I shortened a 32-20 to use for 310 cadet.this was becsuse i was loading for a buddy and his son who were carrying  the ammo in their pockets plinking on their property and they needed to be secure..

If your case is longer and the collet diameter is ok for your situation you can stack washers above the shellholder over the case to adjust when it crimps.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Steve, Aren't the .38 bullets too small for most .38 Long barrels groove diameter? My Ballards in .38 Long need a .357" heel, and a .375" diameter.

IP Logged

ndnchf
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:16pm:
Steve, Aren't the .38 bullets too small for most .38 Long barrels groove diameter? My Ballards in .38 Long need a .357" heel, and a .375" diameter.

Actually, the bullet shown above is from an Eras Gone .36 Colt cap and ball conical mold. Diameter is .377". It already has a heel of sorts, but its not small enough, so I cut them to fit the case mouth. I do the same with bullets from a Lee .36 Colt conical mold. 

On the same vein, I've cut heels on Ideal 311008 (.32-20) bullets for use in .32 XL rimfire. They shoot exceptionally well. I also cut heels on 427098 (.44-40) bullets for one of my .44 rimfires.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2023 at 9:48pm by ndnchf »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint