Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1st time hello and general questions on rifle buil (Read 2320 times)
Boob D
Participating Member

1st time hello and general questions on rifle buil
Jan 10th, 2023 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Hello, new member from north central WV. Let me start with a quick bio. I'm a retired forester. After graduation I work PSU as staff forester on the research forest. I then spent 34 years as forest manager on the WVU research forest. Retired in 2015. I loved the work, I just couldn't take the job anymore.  I joined the local gun club in 1988 and in 1990 I gave up lumberjack sports and have been shooting ever sense. Started shooting in metallic silhouette, pistol and rifle. Then started shooting high power, both service and match rifle, as well as long range. I have shoot the HP National Matches many times. While shooting HP I also started shooting smallbore. Now, at 72 I just shoot F-class open, FTR and FTRT. I'm a instructor in pistol and rifle and a Level II coach in precision air rifle and smallbore. OK, that's enough. I'm getting ready to build a rifle on a Wickliffe action I purchased about 25 years ago and has been sitting in the safe sense. I'm thinking 40-65 using 45-70 brass.

PS: if a moderator reads this, is there a way I/or you can correct my fat finger key stroke to correct my screen name to Bob D.

Bob

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Re: 1st time hello and general questions on rifle buil
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the forum Bob.  If you click on USER CP above, it will take you to your control panel.  Click on PROFILE and then edit profile, and you can change things there.

Regards,
Joe

IP Logged

MikeT
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2023 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Bob, what do you plan to do with this new rifle build?

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT

IP Logged

fayettefatts
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2023 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Bob D:  Pretty sure I know you. From Mason-Dixon to SAG, Perry & back. I got involved with single shots recently also. Great fun. Welcome to the forum, I think you will like it here. Steve H.

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2023 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Thanks Joe I'll give that a try.   Bob

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2023 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Hi Mike. Mostly I plan on just having fun. I shoot matches about 3 out of 4 weekends. My wife got into breaking clay's several years ago and if she want to go shoot, as long as it doesn't interfere with rifle matches, we break clay's. I tried to attach a photo of my Wickliffe but it was to large so I'll work on it and try to post my progress.

Bob

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2023 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Hi Steve, I'm pretty sure you do. We've spent enough time on the line together at Perry and local clubs. I've been watching this site off and on for some time. If your email hasn't I'll send you photo of the project as it goes. What rifle and caliber are you shooting? I'm sure I'll be contacting you with questions.

Bob

IP Logged

fayettefatts
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 7:20am
Print Post  
My email is the same Bob. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Wickliffe. I've been shooting a Winchester Miroku High Wall in 38-55 and a Ruger No1 custom in 25-20 WCF. All cast bullets. I took up casting after retirement, and it is starting to come together. Just putting holes in paper and having fun.

IP Logged

jwdII
Participating Member

ASSRA 3776

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Bob: Wellcome, thanks for owning up making the error in your profile as I did the same. Hopefully we both got it corrected. Jack

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Welcome. Ya know, I'd just leave that handle like it is. If you start with an acknowledgement of something, other slipups won't be shocking to folks. I think it works with my telling everyone that I 'occasionally' miss. 
For what it's worth I had a female cousin, born in the '30s, who was known as Boobie. Must have caused some discussion in back seats while she was young. Maybe later, too. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:06am
Print Post  
I sorta like it, but would be better with another boob. Boob D boob. 

Welcome to the forum.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Welcome Bob, an additional question to your plans to build a 40-65. First, what powder(black/smokeless) do you intend to use and is casting your own bullets in the plan?

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Yeah, I'm thinking of keeping the user name. Not my first mistake, wont be my last. Besides if you start out setting the bar low it makes life easier.

I will most likely be using smokeless powder and cast my own bullets. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to build it myself or farm it out. I', quite familiar with the operation of lathes and mills as I build my own match rifles. Some of that decision is based on the fact that I have so many project started and this one has been around so long. Kind of just want to get it done and have fun with one.

I have the notice turned on to get replies to my post, but done seem to be getting them.   

Bob

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Good luck on whichever path you choose, personally after years of shooting the 40-65 I would choose black over smokeless. PM me for my phone # if you wish to go further in the details as a book can be easily be written on the subject.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
40-65 will be good cartridge.  For versatility if you decide to do something other than 100 yard plinking, use a 14 twist barrel.   

The wickliffe is a somewhat large and clunky action, but a good one.  If you bought one of the kits and the receiver is unhardened, I'd definitely harden it as well as the hammer, trigger and similar parts.   

I'd weld on a top tang so you can put on a tang sight, before you start finishing the action and stocking it.  I'd also remove the totally unnecessary and ugly safety, and weld up the holes for it.  The hammer is adequate as a safety.   

If your action hasn't been surface ground, make up a mandrel that goes in the threaded barrel hole, and use that to index and grind both sides of the action parallel and flat and square to the barrel.  The castings are all over the place, and that will help the final looks a bit.

IP Logged

Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Welcome to the Ron Long chapter of rifles.
I had a Swede rolling block fitted with a 30" BRC 1 1/2" bull barrel and some nice wood from Tree Bone Carving. Had Manson do a simple chamber reamer for me. 45/70 with a parallel neck of .50". Barrel slugs at .409, throat is .411 and I cast a .410" 410 gr bullet. Gunsmith used a blank and reamed me a "sizer" to squeeze the 45/70 to a 40 caliber.
MVA B series with #2 mounts. Shoots very very good. 
Anybody knows where a set trigger can be had. 

Boob D, I used to live and work in Belington, WV. Left in 1996. Into 3D archery at that time.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 8:56am
Print Post  
good suggestion Dave. I cleaned up the action years ago, but I know a lot more now and might go back and do it again. At that time the individual that sold them had a plan to send them to someone to have the heat treated. I sent mine back. When it came back a buddy tested it with his Rockwell tester. we also tested one of my 700 actions. They both tested the some. I like the tang idea. I was going to mount the sight to the stock.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
The 40-65 is a nice cartridge. I had one built a number of years ago on a browning action. I do not know what reamer the smith used when he did the chamber but it was on the tight side. My CH dies would not size cased down quite far enough for them to chamber. Somewhere along the line I picked up a sizer die that has been shortened by I am not sure how much and I had to use that to do a final size on the cases to get them to fit. I can not say just exactly where the issue was but they just wouldn't quite go in by maybe a quarter inch or so. With the shortened die they drop right in and I have not had any problems since. 
Hope this is a bit of help. 
Sam

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Guy I appropriate the comments of my Wickliffe, but I have decided to sell it.  All I'm going to do is play around with some cast bullets.  I have two Ruger #1s that have seen the sunlight in decades, a Stevens 44 1/2 in 32-20 and a Steven Crackshot, both of which I'm trying to finish. I'm not going away, I just don't need to make another safe queen. 

Bob

IP Logged

Frank
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2023 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Used a friends equipment to test 38-55 45-70 and 40-65 on full size animals starting at 200 meters out to 600 meters.   They were standing on railroad track.   

38-55 did not always knock them off the track. 
45-70 was more gun/recoil than I needed so I settled on a Browning Model 1885 BPCR in 40-65.

What made the biggest difference was the but plate.  I selected a model that had a flat but plate that would not dig into my shoulder. 

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2023 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the site Bob. I am also an Alberta Retired Registered Professional Forester who retired in 2014 after 37 years. If you are interested in black powder the .40-65 is an excellent cartridge and I found it to be more suitable than the .45-70 after I developed bone spurs from arthritis. For black powder you are best to have a 30 inch barrel to combust all of the powder and some have 32 or 34 inch barrels (result in slight increase in velocity) to shoot BP. Downside of the longer barrels is the ability to have hard fouling buildup on the end of the barrel. Most .40-65 barrels have a 16:1 twist using 410 grain bullets but some people prefer a 14:1 twist barrel to use heavier bullets. You can buy .40-65 cases from Starline and there is no need to shrink .45-70 cases. Remember when building a rifle there are specific rules for BPCR Silhouette that restrict which iron sights and scopes you are able to use; what type of stocks are appropriate - so check these out before you proceed with your build.

Common actions are the 1874 Sharps, CPA 44 1/2 Stevens, 1885 Winchester HighWall since they have set triggers enabling you to release shots more quickly to catch wind changes or as the sights move across a Chicken which have to be shot offhand. Standard triggers require much more effort on the follow through on a shot. Also heavy triggers can pull you off your POI from trigger pull after ignition.

However if you intend to just shoot smokeless will the rifle be for hunting, sport shooting, or some other shooting discipline? If we understand the purpose of the rifle we can provide a bit more guidance.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2023 at 2:22pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 18th, 2023 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob, I am also retired but spent my time with the military. Done a little competition but it bores me to tears. Shot HP with the military and a little BPCR, just not for me. I was once heavily involved with military sniping and ran one of the best schools. We thought we did a good job training students but there are limitations in schools and having a standard you can defend. I think the measure of a sniper can only be taken from a couple of one-shot scenarios. Unknown distance over unknown terrain in variable weather. Just one shot, sink or swim. My idea of a sniper competition is exactly that, few shots over the course of days, unknown distance and terrain. Lots of snipers are afraid of that challenge....

Anyway, I shoot a Rem rolling block built to replicate G. Custer's gun lost at the Lil Bighorn. 28 in barrel, 50-70 with beach from and Remington Combination rear. It has become my favorite rifle for hunting to plinking. BP only!

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint