Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New to me Shiloh (Read 1336 times)
Chris W

New to me Shiloh
May 9th, 2023 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I went to drop off an original 1885 Low Wall with Steve Baldwin yesterday. Its a mystery rifle as we can't figure out what the caliber is. Its Marked 22 Long but chamber is bigger, closest we could figure using Cartriges of the World book is 22 Rem Auto, but thats not it either just close to it. Anyway going to have him line it and chamber it for .22 LR. Then we got to talking and I mentioned I'd like to find another Shiloh but in 45-70 and he mentioned that he just happened to have one for sale so he pulled it out and showed it to me, quoted me a price along with a set of his sights mounted on it and couldn't pass it up. So it has a new home now. The only thing I didn't like is I'm more of a traditionalist and like a steel butt plate, this has a rubber one but I'm sure I'll appreciate it when I'm setting on the firing line with it. Not sure of the model, Saddle or Sporter?? Its got a 30" barrel, double set triggers, Schnabel end on the forearm. He also gave me one of his front sight cards to go with it.

IP Logged

Chris W

Re: New to me Shiloh
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2023 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Another Pic

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2023 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Another

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2023 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Chris W, very nice Shiloh with some outstanding sights. Nice wood too! Steve is a great guy to work with and does excellent work.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

Chris W

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2023 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Yes he is, He's built several rifles for my brother. He showed me around his shop and we talked for awhile on some of the projects he had going, I could hang out there allot, good thing I'm not closer!!!

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2023 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
Steve has a busy shop at least it was when I was there several years ago. When Dave Crossno was gunsmithing they traded work back and forth as Dave was only about 20 miles away. Dave didn’t work on Highwalls so he passed the work over to Steve then Steve brought it back Dave for the stock work. Steve also corrected the headspace on an old Springfield 1903 for me. Glad to have Steve still doing work but sure miss Dave and Pam Crossno.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - May 10th, 2023 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Good looking Shiloh, and with Baldwin sights it's about as good as it gets for a competitive rifle. Should do the job for BPCR or BPTR matches.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

1Hawkeye

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2023 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle with those features it's either a number 1 or a long range express. A call to shiloh will give you a definite answer.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2023 at 9:19am
Print Post  
I have basically the same rifle, but mine is a Rough Rider.  The exact same stock but no cheek piece.

Before doing load development I'd recommend making sure that there is a slight visible gap between the action and the foreend wood.

They are excellent rifles.  I have more than my share of Shilohs and they all shoot extremely well.

Chris.

IP Logged

burntwater
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2023 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
“ The only thing I didn't like is I'm more of a traditionalist and like a steel butt plate, this has a rubber one but I'm sure I'll appreciate it “

I believe the Sharps company offered ‘ hard rubber ‘ butt plates on the 74’s. So you’re not really straying away from traditionalism. 

Rick

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2023 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
I have never understood why Shiloh and C. Sharps make the pistol grips on those rifles in that form. It is not straight and it is not like the original pistol grips. If you order a Creedmoor from Shiloh you get the proper grip shape whether it is with a single or a double trigger. I once ordered a rifle with a single trigger from C. Sharps and it had this stock. When I called to ask, John told me to sell it and order another. Ended up I got a new trigger plate and had a German stockmaker make a stock using pictures from Seller's book as a reference.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint