Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1st time hello and general questions on rifle buil (Read 2318 times)
Red Cent
Senior Forum Member

Re: 1st time hello and general questions on rifle buil
Reply #15 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 12:23am
Print Post  
Welcome to the Ron Long chapter of rifles.
I had a Swede rolling block fitted with a 30" BRC 1 1/2" bull barrel and some nice wood from Tree Bone Carving. Had Manson do a simple chamber reamer for me. 45/70 with a parallel neck of .50". Barrel slugs at .409, throat is .411 and I cast a .410" 410 gr bullet. Gunsmith used a blank and reamed me a "sizer" to squeeze the 45/70 to a 40 caliber.
MVA B series with #2 mounts. Shoots very very good. 
Anybody knows where a set trigger can be had. 

Boob D, I used to live and work in Belington, WV. Left in 1996. Into 3D archery at that time.

Life is too short to argue with stupid people
and/or drink cheap booze

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 8:56am
Print Post  
good suggestion Dave. I cleaned up the action years ago, but I know a lot more now and might go back and do it again. At that time the individual that sold them had a plan to send them to someone to have the heat treated. I sent mine back. When it came back a buddy tested it with his Rockwell tester. we also tested one of my 700 actions. They both tested the some. I like the tang idea. I was going to mount the sight to the stock.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
The 40-65 is a nice cartridge. I had one built a number of years ago on a browning action. I do not know what reamer the smith used when he did the chamber but it was on the tight side. My CH dies would not size cased down quite far enough for them to chamber. Somewhere along the line I picked up a sizer die that has been shortened by I am not sure how much and I had to use that to do a final size on the cases to get them to fit. I can not say just exactly where the issue was but they just wouldn't quite go in by maybe a quarter inch or so. With the shortened die they drop right in and I have not had any problems since. 
Hope this is a bit of help. 
Sam

IP Logged

Boob D
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2023 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Guy I appropriate the comments of my Wickliffe, but I have decided to sell it.  All I'm going to do is play around with some cast bullets.  I have two Ruger #1s that have seen the sunlight in decades, a Stevens 44 1/2 in 32-20 and a Steven Crackshot, both of which I'm trying to finish. I'm not going away, I just don't need to make another safe queen. 

Bob

IP Logged

Frank
Participating Member

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2023 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Used a friends equipment to test 38-55 45-70 and 40-65 on full size animals starting at 200 meters out to 600 meters.   They were standing on railroad track.   

38-55 did not always knock them off the track. 
45-70 was more gun/recoil than I needed so I settled on a Browning Model 1885 BPCR in 40-65.

What made the biggest difference was the but plate.  I selected a model that had a flat but plate that would not dig into my shoulder. 

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2023 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the site Bob. I am also an Alberta Retired Registered Professional Forester who retired in 2014 after 37 years. If you are interested in black powder the .40-65 is an excellent cartridge and I found it to be more suitable than the .45-70 after I developed bone spurs from arthritis. For black powder you are best to have a 30 inch barrel to combust all of the powder and some have 32 or 34 inch barrels (result in slight increase in velocity) to shoot BP. Downside of the longer barrels is the ability to have hard fouling buildup on the end of the barrel. Most .40-65 barrels have a 16:1 twist using 410 grain bullets but some people prefer a 14:1 twist barrel to use heavier bullets. You can buy .40-65 cases from Starline and there is no need to shrink .45-70 cases. Remember when building a rifle there are specific rules for BPCR Silhouette that restrict which iron sights and scopes you are able to use; what type of stocks are appropriate - so check these out before you proceed with your build.

Common actions are the 1874 Sharps, CPA 44 1/2 Stevens, 1885 Winchester HighWall since they have set triggers enabling you to release shots more quickly to catch wind changes or as the sights move across a Chicken which have to be shot offhand. Standard triggers require much more effort on the follow through on a shot. Also heavy triggers can pull you off your POI from trigger pull after ignition.

However if you intend to just shoot smokeless will the rifle be for hunting, sport shooting, or some other shooting discipline? If we understand the purpose of the rifle we can provide a bit more guidance.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2023 at 2:22pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Jun 18th, 2023 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob, I am also retired but spent my time with the military. Done a little competition but it bores me to tears. Shot HP with the military and a little BPCR, just not for me. I was once heavily involved with military sniping and ran one of the best schools. We thought we did a good job training students but there are limitations in schools and having a standard you can defend. I think the measure of a sniper can only be taken from a couple of one-shot scenarios. Unknown distance over unknown terrain in variable weather. Just one shot, sink or swim. My idea of a sniper competition is exactly that, few shots over the course of days, unknown distance and terrain. Lots of snipers are afraid of that challenge....

Anyway, I shoot a Rem rolling block built to replicate G. Custer's gun lost at the Lil Bighorn. 28 in barrel, 50-70 with beach from and Remington Combination rear. It has become my favorite rifle for hunting to plinking. BP only!

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint