Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Meacham quality (Read 1907 times)
338reddog

Meacham quality
Dec 21st, 2022 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
I have a Meacham highwall in 40/70 SS. I was at a local gunsmiths shop and he made some comments about the lack of quality. I was wondering if there is any truth to those statements. 
Gun was inherited from a uncle along with a C Sharps. Early gun with Shilo action. 
Jeff

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Meacham quality
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
I have two of them.  The Meacham highwalls are several steps above my C. Sharps highwalls ( which I like just fine ).   In terms of quality I'd put them right at the top, at least as good as my Shiloh Sharps rifles, wood quality even better.  Maybe the only modern rifle I own that is better is a custom built 1885 by Steven Durren.  I have seen a few rifles built on Meacham actions that were not stocked by Meacham and you could tell.

Chris.

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
I had a Meacham in 40-65 and I have a shooting buddy that has 2 in 45-70. They are/were all of excellent quality and workmanship. I guess Steve could have had a bad day and had one slip thru with some issues, but I have never heard of one with quality issues.

IP Logged

338reddog

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2022 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
I believe this was towards the end of him producing rifles. There are a few issues to my eyes. But I am picky maybe even picking nits. I will try and post a few pictures. 
The way I took the gunsmiths comments were towards action quality.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 6:22am
Print Post  
I have heard negative comments from people that were self appointed “experts”  on American Single Shot rifles quality. Mostly comparing to European rifles and shotguns.  Inside some of the high price English actions are finished as well as outside. I looked at a high end Beretta with detachable locks that had some of the internal parts gold plated everything highly polished.

American single shots were production rifles built in factories that turned out volume. Some highly finished outside all obviously production rifles inside. Reliably and function obtained by design. Other extreme examined a friends Luger Pistol, commented on how well it was machined and finished. He said “ it has to be well fitted design so poor would not work other wise” 

Anybody I know who’s opinion I respect  that knows Meachums says they are among the best. Have seen only one in person, I was thoroughly impressed. Never examined a 100 % Meachum build alongside the other new build reproduction rifles or originals but would be very surprised if they were not just as good.

Boats
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2022 at 6:30am by boats »  

IP Logged

338reddog

Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Thank you for the information 
Now I need to order sights and a bullet mold/mould 
Jeff

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:08am
Print Post  
ssdave wrote on Dec 21st, 2022 at 11:04pm:
The only quality control issue I have ever heard of on them is he overhardened the screws when he started, and they were brittle and would break. 

That is interesting.  There was a fellow who used to post on one of the bpcr forums who had his hammer break and he was given a new one. That is the only failure I've heard of.

Mine have given me no troubles at all.   

Chris.

IP Logged

hepburnman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 9:12am
Print Post  
I purchased a Meacham highwall barreled action from Steve that had a number of quality issues that had to go back to him a couple of times to correct. The issue that I remember were the scope blocks were put on so twisted out of alignment that I could not slip a scope onto them. Another quality issue, not sure if this was an early issue, and later corrected, was that the upper, or both tangs, were milled off-center to the rest of the action and this positioned the tang sight off to one side.

Steve mentioned at the time that he had some employee work-quality issues. This was maybe 22 years ago.

IP Logged

Boson

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
I have a Meacham HW in 45-70 ( with a match chamber ) I purchased in January 2003 direct from Steve. It originally came with a speed lock hammer which lasted to March 2003 when it snapped at the end of a silhouette match.  Steve replaced the hammer and made it an original 1/2 cock std. hammer at no charge.  I have to set the MVA long range soule to 3min left to center but no big deal.  I have fired 24,757 black powder rds. to date in this rifle and as you can see, it is my go to silhouette rifle.  I took it to a local gun shop for show and tell and the owner thought it was a Turnbull rifle when I opened the case on the counter.
I had the action and Badger bbl. frozen to -300 to + 300 after 19,207 rds in 2014 but can't really tell if it made any difference anywhere.   
I feel the quality is excellent and the rifle has continued to be my favorite competition rifle.  Bob

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Bob was the replacement hammer not a skeletonized one?  Mine are, but only one of them has no half cock notch.

Chris.

IP Logged

Boson

Reply #10 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
The skeletonized hammer was the speed hammer ( as I recall from 2003 ) the replacement hammer ( still in use ) is not skeletonized .Bob

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2022 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Boson wrote on Dec 22nd, 2022 at 12:51pm:
The skeletonized hammer was the speed hammer ( as I recall from 2003 ) the replacement hammer ( still in use ) is not skeletonized .Bob

Thanks for that info Bob.  As I remember from the guy posting years ago, his was also replaced with a non-skeletonized hammer.

Chris.

IP Logged

ObiJohn
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2023 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I've had two Meacham 1885s, a .45-70 standard rifle with a shotgun buttplate, and a Low Wall schuetzen in .22 LR. Both had double set triggers. Both were beautiful examples of well-made rifles. I never shot the .45-70, but the person who bought it from me did and was very pleased. I kept the schuetzen... it was the first Low Wall receiver/rifle he had made and I bought it from him at the SHOT Show where it was on display. It has exhibition-grade crotch walnut for the buttstock and forend and is super-accurate with match-grade ammo. The only flaw I can find is that Steve didn't cut the slot and fit the ejector spring as is found on original Winchester 1885 rimfires and so the fired case is extracted but not ejected. Oh, I had the firing pin break and he replaced it at no charge... I think one of my staff (I owned a gunshop and range) dry fired it.

Any rifle from any maker can have issues. The question is, will the maker stand behind the rifle? I've never heard of anyone having issues with Steve Meacham on that account.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2023 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
ObiJohn wrote on Jan 26th, 2023 at 9:31pm:
I've had two Meacham 1885s, a .45-70 standard rifle with a shotgun buttplate, and a Low Wall schuetzen in .22 LR. Both had double set triggers. Both were beautiful examples of well-made rifles. I never shot the .45-70, but the person who bought it from me did and was very pleased. I kept the schuetzen... it was the first Low Wall receiver/rifle he had made and I bought it from him at the SHOT Show where it was on display. It has exhibition-grade crotch walnut for the buttstock and forend and is super-accurate with match-grade ammo. The only flaw I can find is that Steve didn't cut the slot and fit the ejector spring as is found on original Winchester 1885 rimfires and so the fired case is extracted but not ejected. Oh, I had the firing pin break and he replaced it at no charge... I think one of my staff (I owned a gunshop and range) dry fired it.

Any rifle from any maker can have issues. The question is, will the maker stand behind the rifle? I've never heard of anyone having issues with Steve Meacham on that account.

He seemed to use some pretty fine wood. The first one I bought has exhibition grade wood. It's a .45-70 with a 1/2 octagon gain twist barrel and DSTs.   The only thing I don't like about it is the angle of the comb on the buttstock. 

I have one that was re-barreled by John King with very slightly less fancy, but still outstanding, wood.  It's a round barreled rifle with DSTs and a stock shape that I like more.  It's a little more accurate than the gain twist one.

Mine have worked perfectly so far.      

Chris.

IP Logged

Heyboy

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2023 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I know this is an older thread but I got a Meacham in 40/70SS of an older club member. It was my first gun I started loading all black powder in other than MLs. It shoots and looks REALLY good doing it! Quality, fit and finish are top shelf. I actually sold my Harley to get it and was a decision I've never regretted! I have the original order form and I think if memory serves it was around $4500 with all the boxes my friend checked when he ordered it. He sold it to me for 2500 with a saeco mould, lyman dies, MVA sights and 250 pieces of hornady 405 win brass already having the rims done. God Bless all the old guys helping get us younger shooters get into shooting and enjoying these fine rifles!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint