Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sharps Pistol Rifle Build (Read 33961 times)
bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Sharps Pistol Rifle Build
Reply #300 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
No bluing or case on this one.  After Diane engraved it, we talked and decided to French Gray everything, which shows off the engraving better than the other options.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

French Grey
Reply #301 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
BOB:
Sounds like an excellent choice!   Looking forward to seeing your ultimate result.  Maybe sometime during one of the peregrinations to that part of the country, it will be be possible to stop and see some of your handiwork.  Kinda reminds me of a time at the range where a fellow had a realiy nice long rifle.   Asked who was the maker, and he said "John Bivins".    Nuf said.

CHRIS

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #302 - Jun 17th, 2024 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Chris,
Hope your not traveling by foot!   

You’re welcome anytime, NW Iowa….middle of no-where.

John did pretty good work. Smiley
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #303 - Jun 18th, 2024 at 6:41am
Print Post  
That rifle could set next to a cased Holland&Holland and lose nothing! Wow!

IP Logged

cellargun
Participating Member

Reply #304 - Jun 24th, 2024 at 7:05am
Print Post  
Having been a machinist for 50 years, I read this entire series yesterday and have to say the end result is very impressive. If you don’t mind, I have a few questions. I know you didn’t case color harden the parts, but did you harden them at all? What finish did you use for the wood? And finally, can you explain the what, whys, and wherefores of French gray? 
Thanks, Richard

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #305 - Jun 25th, 2024 at 6:26am
Print Post  
cellargun wrote on Jun 24th, 2024 at 7:05am:
.... can you explain the what, whys, and wherefores of French gray? 
Thanks, Richard

Like this do you mean?

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #306 - Jun 25th, 2024 at 11:04am
Print Post  
cellargun wrote on Jun 24th, 2024 at 7:05am:
Having been a machinist for 50 years, I read this entire series yesterday and have to say the end result is very impressive. If you don’t mind, I have a few questions. I know you didn’t case color harden the parts, but did you harden them at all? What finish did you use for the wood? And finally, can you explain the what, whys, and wherefores of French gray? 
Thanks, Richard

Thanks for the questions Richard.

You are somewhat correct in the hardening of the parts.  The frame and breech block are not hardened but then many old guns were not and are still in use today. All the internal parts are case hardened as required for durability.  Like all things we do, there is alway things we would do differently, and this project is no different, but I have no doubts that it’s a safe gun to use, well into the future.  The plan is that it will be in the family and usable long after I’m gone.  The monogram is REW, my grandfathers, mine, my sons and grandsons initials.  While this gun will be used and shot, it will never be a gun that shoots thousands of rounds a year.  

The final wood finish is Chambers oil, sold by Jim Chambers Flintlocks.  The wood is first colored with oil infused with alkanet root.  

As far as the French gray goes I really don’t know how it is done.  But, I wanted a finish to the metal that showed the engraving better than case hardening or bluing.  Diane, the engraver, suggest the French Gray and showed me examples.  She also said its just as durable as bluing, like the fabled Smith and Wesson blue.  I trust her so went that way.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

LRF
Oldtimer

Reply #307 - Jun 25th, 2024 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Richard, on my Fraser, after Roger Sampson finished the engraving, I blasted the metal with 300 grit sand. At a low pressure 30 psi as I remember (I built this rifle more then 20 years ago so memory is shaky), which leaves a very very fine texture and scatters the light to give the metal a grey color.  Then I waxed the steel with Johnson's paste wax. The wax is more moisture resistant than oils. It also sticks to the very fine texture of the sand blasting. It also fills the engraving and gives the nice shadow effects as it ages. Plus you can re-wax as often as you think necessary to protect the metal from corrosion

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 
Send TopicPrint