Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Record Grizzly Taken with .22 Single Shot (Read 4887 times)
westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: Record Grizzly Taken with .22 Single Shot
Reply #15 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
The bear died of old age, woman found it and put a bunch of shots into it.  Those Canadians will do anything for attention.   Grin

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Nah, Joe, it was bad indigestion from someone he ate - probably the first one who shot him with a .22.

IP Logged

oodmoff
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
The bear asked whats on TV?  ....to which I replied "Dust"....and thats when the fight started.

IP Logged

cyten
Participating Member

Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2022 at 3:46am
Print Post  
The Bella Twin story is legendary!
I once heard of an old Yupik man when I was in Alaska who hunted polar bear with a .25-20 Winchester 1892.
Though, there was some prep work. They'd sharpen the ends of a large bone, boil it until it was malleable, bend the edges together, freeze it and slather it in blood and loose pieces of meat. The bear would find and swallow it, the bone would that in it's stomach, un bending and slicing its stomach. 
.25-20 was just to put it out of misery.

So the story goes, at least.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2022 at 8:25am
Print Post  
This morning I shot an alligator in my pajamas.
How he got in them I'll never know.

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #20 - Dec 11th, 2022 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
When Groucho supposedly originated that joke, it was an elephant rather than an alligator.  Still a great joke.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 11th, 2022 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but Rebel really does have alligators in his back yard;-)

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2022 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
I wonder if she had fumble fingers, loading each of those 7 shots one at a time  Cheesy

We have lots of grizz up by my cabin.  The last one I spotted by accident while lying on my stomach peering into the septic tank trying to figure out how to get the broken pump out.  I heard a sound and noticed a grizz only 20 feet behind me.  Fortunately he was preoccupied with some berry bushes. Probably best I didn't have the old .22 Cooey with me  Grin 

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #23 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 3:21am
Print Post  
gunlaker wrote on Dec 29th, 2022 at 7:07pm:
I wonder if she had fumble fingers, loading each of those 7 shots one at a time  Cheesy

We have lots of grizz up by my cabin.  The last one I spotted by accident while lying on my stomach peering into the septic tank trying to figure out how to get the broken pump out.  I heard a sound and noticed a grizz only 20 feet behind me.  Fortunately he was preoccupied with some berry bushes. Probably best I didn't have the old .22 Cooey with me  Grin 

Chris.

So, what happened?  Huh

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Dec 30th, 2022 at 3:21am:
gunlaker wrote on Dec 29th, 2022 at 7:07pm:

Chris.

So, what happened?  Huh

I was eaten alive Smiley.   

Actually there was a good breeze going from the grizz to me so I guess somehow it didn't notice me.  I just stood up very slowly and carefully snuck up the hill to the cabin. Once I got to the cabin porch I yelled at it.  It then casually wandered off to the north.  Lucky too because I didn't have 7 .22 LR shells Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #25 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
"I was eaten alive"

I was hoping you might say that.  Grin

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #26 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Chris,
Back in the 1980's three of us drove up to B.C. to be taken into a remote lake for a fishing trip. The 11 mile drive into the lake took 3 hours by 4x4, and when we arrived we heard a commotion. We looked to see where all the hollering came from and saw an old fella chasing a 200 lb. black bear with a broom, and swatting it on the rear as he yelled at it!
Once he returned we found out he was the caretaker, and we asked if bears were a problem? He told us most stayed away, but this young one hadn't learned to stay away yet, and that he ran it out of camp about every other day.
We were there four days, and watched this bear-broom thing twice more before our trip ended.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 5:55pm
Print Post  

Chris, how'd ya get that septic tank pump out? Why did you need one anyhow-like, maybe your neighbor wanted a jug or two? 
I always called the 'guy' and he brung his own pump when needed.
I never peered into the place, either. Happy New Year. 
My bear story is just that I let 'em eat the garbage in camp because I ain't gonna fight a bear over a sack of garbage, even though I was better armed than a .22.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Yeah black bears are usually not a big problem.  Pretty much all of them I've seen go away when you shout at them or throw rocks.  I was at the range one day, early, so I could clear a little bit of brush for prone shooting.  I looked up and silhouetted against the target frames was a young mama black bear.  I have no idea whether there were 3 or 4 cubs because they were playing and zooming in and out of the bush so fast I couldn't keep track.  I yelled at the mama bear and she abandoned her cubs and ran into the bush.  I backed off a hundred yards or so and just watched them all playing Smiley.

The septic pump was easy.  The place doesn't get used too much so the tank wasn't stinky.  The guy who installed the system had it set up so all I needed to do was remove a fitting, cut a few straps, and haul it out on a rope he attached.  Lucky for me the impeller was just jammed so it was a quick fix.  Good thing because the nearest town with a bona fide plumber is 2 hours away.

Chris.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Dec 30th, 2022 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
glad ya didn't have to dive any deeper into your problem.  Roll Eyes
I only had a few bear experiences, none were bad- I just sat calmly and let 'em have their room. most left in a few minutes. Often, I had a big Ruger six-gun at hand, though. All black bears.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint