Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) .357 Magnum rifle (Read 4657 times)
gnoahhh
Oldtimer

.357 Magnum rifle
Jul 26th, 2022 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Regarding my eminent employment of a Martini Cadet .357 Magnum, 26" barrel, for relatively close range deer hunting: anybody have any real-world advice or pitfalls to avoid? 55 years of deer hunting, mostly with cast bullets in .30 rifles, but this'll be my first foray with a pistol cartridge in a rifle.

The subject:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(And yes, the big hook on the end of the lever will go, but in truth it does offer a secure grip of the lever.)

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Re: .357 Magnum rifle
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2022 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
I like it. Maybe not the hook so much, but the rest is nice. Enviable!

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2022 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I had a 357 built on a 310 action with a Douglas barrel in 83, I enjoyed it for a few years and traded it. Wish I hadn’t.
Mike

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2022 at 7:08am
Print Post  
Just fold the hook back under the bottom of the PG, and maybe remove the knob.

IP Logged

degoins

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2022 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Hit em in the heart lung area and they will die. That's been my limited experience anyway.

IP Logged

flint45
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2022 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
My cousin uses a rifle similar to yours ,martini action with a much shorter barrel I think it’s 18 inches but I know he uses a 180 grain flat point bullet in a mold he bought custom from accurate bullet molds it shoots really good and he’s takin many deer with it I don’t know the powder charge but I know uses 2400.

IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2022 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Many years ago I had a Stevens 44-1/2 chambered in .357 Mag.  It started out as a smaller caliber, nice rifle on the outside, but it had a sewer pipe barrel.  Thus, its barrel got bored out to .357, and the breech block was fit with a bushing and smaller diameter firing pin.  On top was a Burris compact 4x scope.  It shot one-hole groups.

That rifle was deadly on anything it was pointed at, including white tail deer.  Have no doubt - a well-placed shot with a good bullet will bring home the venison.

I am envious of your Martini.

Curly

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2022 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Mine has 18 inch barrel on BSA action, and is super hand and accurate. Gave my other bored by JES to my Pop. Lots of fun and relatively cheap. No deer taken but sure it's capable.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Used to load nearly 15 gr of 2400 for my 8" S&W model 27. Those cases were packed full. Reloading manual cited MV at around 1500 fps. You will do better with that longer barrel. 
Stay away from hollow points if you use jacketed. They are fine for a heart/lung shot but lack penetration if you hit a shoulder. 
Keep your shots well under 100 yds as MV and ME will drop fast with increased distance.
Nice rifle. A friend has one that was converted to the old 35/30-30 Wildcat. It's a dandy. I'm still trying to finagle it away from him!

John
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2022 at 3:48pm by Timetripper »  

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2022 at 9:03am
Print Post  
It’s not a classic single shot, but I have one of the current Henry break action rifles in .357 Magnum. It is very, very effective on deer using 180 grain factory loads, but I’ve been meaning to pick up a mold for a similar weight cast bullet, perhaps even heavier. Cbashooter on here reamed one of the same Henry rifles out to .357 Maximum which would be tempting if obtaining brass wasn’t such an issue
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2022 at 10:49am by Otony »  

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2022 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
I shoot several pistol caliber rifles, mainly custom Ruger #1s. One thing for sure is expect 300-500 fps increase in muzzle velocity over pistol data. Slower burning powders give good results of velocity and accuracy. AA1680 and Lil'Gun do very well as does Re7. For deer I go with 158gr JSP bullets. Speer makes their Hot Core and Hornady makes  a XTP FP. 

Ed

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2022 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
HI,
Just being contrary I'd go with a .357 max if the action will take it. 
I have no experience with a .357 but mag | max well placed shots should do the job 
nicely. Enjoy. 
I have a .357 max on a Fix action but shifted to a muzzleloader area before I got a chance to use it. My historic deer hunting area burned a few years ago so I probably will never get back to it. Can't win them all.

IP Logged

Otony

Reply #12 - Aug 5th, 2022 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
desert-dude wrote on Aug 5th, 2022 at 12:23pm:
HI,
Just being contrary I'd go with a .357 max if the action will take it. 
I have no experience with a .357 but mag | max well placed shots should do the job 
nicely. Enjoy. 
I have a .357 max on a Fix action but shifted to a muzzleloader area before I got a chance to use it. My historic deer hunting area burned a few years ago so I probably will never get back to it. Can't win them all.

If you are at all interested in selling that Fix action .357, please remember me! Thank you!

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2022 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
My historic deer hunting area burned a few years ago so I probably will never get back to it. Can't win them all.

Don't know how it would be in your area, but up here in the big woods of north central Pennsylvania that would make for some fantastic deer hunting over the next ten years. Forest fires, like logging, make for lots of new feed and cover and the deer are attracted to it like iron filings to a magnet. 
Back when I worked in a sawmill, the woods crew had a saying the a chain saw was the best deer call on the market. Even the sound of a log skidder wouldn't scare deer away.
Many of the old timer deer hunters (like me) that I've talked to complain of the poor quality of deer hunting in their tradition hunting areas. And it is often because they have hunted in the same area for the past 40 or 50 years. All the while the trees are slowly growing into different stages of development with the associated changes in food and cover. It's a case of the deer bring more adaptable than their pursuers.  

John
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2022 at 4:02pm by Timetripper »  

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2022 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I'd agree that a burn area probably attracts feeding deer. After a few years since the fire, a walk through it this time of the year, one might might stumble on beds as the new growth is probably thigh deep in spots by now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint