Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: HELP. Low Wall nightmare... (Read 2619 times)
1Hawkeye

Re: HELP. Low Wall nightmare...
May 7th, 2022 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I'd give Lee Shaver a call and go over what you have with him. It sounds like you stepped in it good with a badly done centerfire conversion and rechambering. If your in the rifle cheap you won't get stung to bad last I knew Lee got about 100.00 for a rf to cf conversion and about 450.00 for a reline. Lee's a good guy and he's pulled a lot of peoples fat out of the fire over the years.
Lee Shaver Gunsmithing 417-682-3330   Good luck

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #1 - May 7th, 2022 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
About the 22rf block that you can get, go for it. It's square
shape suggests it came from a low wall musket. Nothing wrong with that. You will need a 22 extractor, but you will have a rifle well worth the effort!
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2022 at 4:56pm by gwahir »  

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2022 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Yes, it's not the end of the world. A simple lining job (sorry, I can't call it a re-line if it's not been lined before!) can be performed by a lot of folks - it's not rocket science. Low Wall breech blocks pop up on eBay quite often, but it's not a difficult task for a competent machinist to bush your breech block face and install a new firing pin.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2022 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
I would sit down with a paper and pencil and try to lay out your different options price-wise. A new barrel is going to cost you probably in the neighborhood of $6-800 unless you have a really reasonably priced gunsmith. A reline has been mentioned at $450. Make sure you know the difference in your breech-blocks before you buy one. A Centerfire breech block will be square in the front where the rimfire breech-block will have a bevel to cam the case into the chamber. Sears are not a big problem as MVA makes one reasonably priced and I'm sure others do too. I'm sure the DZ arms breech blocks are nice but at that price it's going to really cause the price of your rifle to mount. Check with C Sharps Arms as they make low walls as well and will probably sell you a breech block but I don't know at what price. Make sure once you decide what caliber you want, stick to it as you can't change midstream because of the differences in the breech blocks. What is the exterior like? Are you going to try to restore it or leave it as is? If you're going to leave it as is, I'd look for a used low wall breach block as your parts will then match.  Be patient and one will show up that you should be able to pick up at a reasonable price. Walls are addictive and the easiest single-shot rifle out there for a person to learn to work on.

IP Logged

Packet

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2022 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
As for the breech block. Find a number 8 bolt that will fit within the breech face and cover the existing fp holes. Drill and tap for it. Thread the bolt in as far as you want it. Drill firing pin hole where it should be. Level the bolt with breech face. And now you have a re-manufactured breech bolt
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2022 at 6:55pm by Packet »  

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2022 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
My question because I just don't know is, can the hole in the Breach Block be welded?  David

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2022 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Packet wrote on May 7th, 2022 at 6:46pm:
As for the breech block. Find a number 8 bolt that will fit within the breech face and cover the existing fp holes. Drill and tap for it. Thread the bolt in as far as you want it. Drill firing pin hole where it should be. Level the bolt with breech face. And now you have a re-manufactured breech bolt

Have you calculated the breech thrust against your bolt, and determined that it is adequate for that, or will the threads give way?  Here's a piece of info that you can watch, that says to me I'd be damn careful about fixing a breechblock this way:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I'd definitely calculate the breech thrust, and get some solid information on the strength of the bolt and the block, before I'd venture there.

IP Logged

cellargun
Participating Member

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2022 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
MVA sells parts and pieces for M1885s. Give them a call for a breechblock and extractor.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2022 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I get jobs in like this quite often. Breach block is not hard to fix and there are several ways to do it. I usually bore in about 1/8" and big enough diameter to cover the problem area then insert a dick made from a tough steel, some times from old springs. The firing pin can be drilled and a piece of piano wire the right size inserted. I do several liner jobs each month and they are not all that hard to do. The liner for 32 has a .5" OD. Pacific tool and gauge makes a nice piloted drill that will take a threaded extension. Boring the barrel out to 35, 38 or 44 is also an option as long as you stay with a cartridge that will not over pressure the action. I do like the 32 S&W and have a couple rifles chambered for it. Because it is a low pressure round and with lead bullet you can get by with a 308 barrel, just need a chamber reamer with the right pilot. A while back I did a barrel for a customer that will chamber 30 carbine and 32-20 on a 308 barrel.
A lathe and mill are quite helpful for doing the job.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2022 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
I've got a slightly different approach that may get you where your trying to go in a more budget friendly way.
If it were mine:
I would start by sending the barreled action to someone like Hardcastle or Shaver to verify it's a candidate for rework.  Assuming it's ok, one of them can take care of the centerfire block issue and also recut or replace the sear.
Next, I would have the gunsmith ship it to JES and have it rebored and chambered to 38 special ($250).  This also solves the extractor issues.
Readily available, inexpensive components and fun to shoot.
Just my 2 cents worth Cool

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2022 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I once plugged a High Wall breechblock with a 1/4" pipe thread plug, then drilled for new firing pin tip.   It stood up to .22 Lovell until I lost interest in Winchesters generally.  Maybe 60-70 rounds. 

.38 Special would be an excellent option, IMHO.

<div class=

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 8th, 2022 at 11:11am
Print Post  
What would be an average price that a gunsmith would charge for repairing a breech block?

IP Logged

830singleshot
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 8th, 2022 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Once again, if it were mine,
I would only consider one of the proven single shot gunsmiths that you could expect a reasonable turn around time.
To my way of thinking, that list would include Hardcastle, Shaver and Taylor.
There are others but those are the ones friends of mine have had experience with.
Quality, experienced and fair.  I don't want a guy who's primary gunsmithing business is swapping parts on a AR learning on my rifle.

J. Scott McCash&&New Braunfels, TX&&830-237-2376&&jsmccash@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2022 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 8th, 2022 at 12:00am:
I once plugged a High Wall breechblock with a 1/4" pipe thread plug, then drilled for new firing pin tip.   It stood up to .22 Lovell until I lost interest in Winchesters generally.  Maybe 60-70 rounds. 

.38 Special would be an excellent option, IMHO.   

Unless you are set on .32 S&W, I would have the barrel re-bored to .38 special. I have had JES re-bore four barrels, and I have been quite pleased with the work, cost is about $250 and turn around time is around 2 weeks. Of course someone else would have repair your breech block.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 8th, 2022 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Does JES have an email address?  I can find his phone number on his web site, but I'm too deaf to use a phone without thoroughly annoying my interlocutor.  Snailmail is much too slow.

<div class=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint