Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Semi Historical Hunting Photo (Read 3002 times)
hairtrigger
Participating Member

Semi Historical Hunting Photo
Apr 4th, 2022 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
The German Gun Collectors Association grants their St. Hubertus Hunting Award to any of their members who qualify by harvesting a game animal using a German sporting firearm. 

I earned my award in 2016 with this Illinois coyote taken with my Merkel caliber 6.5 x 57R over/under double rifle mfg. in 1940, the year I was born. It’s fitted with a Leupold 1 1/2x -5x variable, as the original scope was missing. I shoot it with an 85 grn. Sierra HP at a modest velocity of approximately 2600 fps. as coyotes are my largest prey. And this load has proved very adequate at 100/125 yards for my usage. 

Note in the photo that this rifle has a cartridge trap on the bottom of the buttstock. It has a capacity of 4 cartridges. But what happened on that day when I set up in a tower blind with my game caller and proceeded to load the rifle, I opened the trap and found I only had one live round on board! So I just commenced with the caller, reasoning that I should only need one cartridge for one coyote. That turned out to be the case as this one was put down with one shot at approximately 75 yards when he responded to the caller.

But does that mean that I can call it a single shot on that day? 

The darker coyote hide displayed at the bottom of the photo was one taken with the same rifle from the same tower 6 or 7 years earlier. And finally the Army field jacket came home with me when I was discharged from the Army in 1963.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Re: Semi Historical Hunting Photo
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
I enjoyed your story! One Bullet, one coyote, doesn’t get any better! By the way I also still have my army jacket from when I got out of active duty in 1969.

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
thanks Dennis, we missed you Sunday. Nice Rifle and Coyote!

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Great story and a neat pic. Bring that beauty of a Merkel up and visit me……I had (11) of the REALLY BIG dogs run past the cabin last week in the wee hours of the morning.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2022 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Possibly Wolves or are there none in your area?

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 7:38am
Print Post  
Wolves. My road is a territorial boundary for 3 different packs so it gets a lot of wolf traffic/scent marking. The deer take a heavy toll in my area.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Thank you for your reply. Their re-introduction and protection has become very divestating in many ways to livestock, game and at some point even human beings.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Wolves, or their ancestors have been here long before man, and will be here long after we are gone. If we as a species do not change our ways, they may well be left to scavenge the remains.  I believe it is in our best interest to learn to live with them as opposed to without them. Another of the canaries in the mine.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
A statewide population of 6-8 times the original carrying capacity IS NOT something that I think I will ever learn to live with. They are becoming more and more bold as time passes. I have had 2 instances this winter where a lone wolf chased deer out of my yard and into the waiting pack. It has become commonplace for them to follow or parallel me thru the woods just out of sight. The tracks in the snow dont lie.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
They are by no any means a pet dog and at one time their population was being controlled and they actually had a cash bounty being offered to be able to maintain their population. 
We must also not fool ourselves into believing that they were not also being eliminated / controlled for good very good reasons. The loss of livestock and game that the Human beings were once relying on to be able to food on their own Families tables was a much more dire threat to their own existence's.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2022 at 6:51pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
This is why we have game managers, to keep things on an even keel. Too often, politicians and and armchair biologists (voters) make the decisions. We are the apex predator, and must keep them in balance, not eradicate them. I didn't imply that their numbers should not be managed if necessary, only that they have as much right to exist as we do. I feel the same about any threatened species, including humans.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
Dont tell the Brownies on Montague Island that we are the apex predator…..them running and hiding will take the excitement out of my Blacktail hunting. 

Dennis, sorry that I polluted your thread. I would love to see more pics and hunt details. Thanx for your service to our country!

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2022 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I too apologize for jumping in the midst of your post Dennis. Need to learn to start at the beginning a thread.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

BlackPowderLove

Reply #13 - Apr 7th, 2022 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Very nice!  I did not know they did such an award. Although I am not a member, I love hunting with my sporterized Mauser 1871 as well as other german rifles and guns

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Apr 7th, 2022 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Problem is some are being overly protected. 
Here is a short Video of a Mountain Lion roaming a Neighborhood in the same town where I live. And another one was also caught in a Neighborhood only about 15 Minutes South of me. Not only are Pets at risk but more importantly Children who would end up dying a horrifying Death.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint