Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 32-40 hunting advice (Read 7956 times)
rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 32-40 hunting advice
Reply #30 - Jun 10th, 2022 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
"there is a reason I never went there to hunt."                                          Please spread the word!!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #31 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Dellet wrote on Jun 10th, 2022 at 7:28pm:
oneatatime wrote on Jun 10th, 2022 at 4:11pm:
A 165 grain bullet at 1800 fps would probably make the 1000 pounds energy at 100 yards. 1750 fps might. Of course, a 75 grainer at 2700 or a 120 at 2100 out of a 25-35 would but I would tend to go with the 32-40.

Colorado has some interesting rules. It’s been awhile so I looked up this years regs. 

Quote:
. CENTERFIRE RIFLES
a. Must be a minimum of .24 caliber (6 mm).
b. Must have a minimum 16-inch barrel and be at least 26 inches long.
c. If semiautomatic, a maximum of six rounds are allowed in the magazine and
chamber combined.
d. Must use expanding bullets that weigh a minimum of 70 grains for deer,
pronghorn and bear, 85 grains for elk and moose, and have an impact
energy (at 100 yards) of 1,000 ft.-pounds as rated by manufacturer.
e. It is illegal to hunt game birds, small-game mammals or furbearers with a centerfire rifle larger than .23 caliber during regular rifle deer and elk
seasons west of I-25, without an unfilled deer or elk license for the season.
A small-game, furbearer or unfilled big-game license is required.
NOTE: SMART RIFLES are prohibited, including any firearm equipped with a
target tracking system, electronically controlled, assisted or computer- linked trigger or a ballistics computer. Any firearm equipped with a scope containing a computer processor is considered to be a smart rifle.

Almost looks like handloads are off the table also. Not sure what it would take to Certify a rounds energy as a “manufacturer”. I wonder if that’s ever been enforced?

There’s a reason I never went there to hunt. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I grew up in CO, and won’t be going back anytime soon.  The common practice to get around the “certified” nonsense is to put your hand loads in a factory box.  Both of my brothers who still live in CO hunt with hand loads and have never had a problem with the fish cops.

As for how to certify…. It isn’t hard to measure velocity with a chronograph and calculate energy at 100 yards.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
It seems to me, that honesty would be the best policy. Always is. Most people have no idea what game department wardens are up against in protecting our wildlife. It is a rather thankless job, and if one thinks about it, more often than not, questioning or challenging someone with a loaded firearm. By far, that someone is a law abiding citizen, with all good intentions. It is though, not always the case. Depending on attitude, and other factors, my sense is that most wardens/law enforcement would take into consideration intent, and the well being of their charges. Our wildlife! If the cartridge performance is questionable, why not err on the side of caution, and use one less questionable. A better choice with good Intent!!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I might also add, that referring to wardens as "fish cops" would, and should, in my opinion, result in consideration of attitude and intent in the "warden's" decision. I might also point out, that game wardens are sworn law enforcement officers, with the same rights and responsibilities as any, and all law enforcement officers. Not just, as you suggested, fish cops.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #34 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Roll Eyes You can have your opinion on Fish Cops, and I’ll have mine.  They don’t differ that much except in what I want to call them.   Wink

I might also add, I’ll call them what I want from the privacy of my home.  It’s called freedom of expression.  You know, that right guaranteed by the Constitution that the police swear an oath to uphold.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
You expressed them on an open forum, not the privacy of your own home. Yes you do have a right to free expression, as do I in suggesting it is in poor taste.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Dusty Texian

Reply #36 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
How did this go from a bullet choice for the 32-40 for Mule deer hunting  , to where it is going now ? This is the one site that I enjoy because of the level of respect across the board . I sure hope it stays that way . I am sure the OP has the greatest respect for our Game Wardens as we all should and only wants to do what is right .  My two cents , about what its worth now days . ,,DT

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
i MIGHT SUGGEST THAT YOU READ THE POST FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END, AND IF YOU FEEL THIS IS OR HAS GONE IN A DIRECTION YOU FOR SOME REASON DON'T LIKE, EITHER DON'T READ FURTHER OR BRING IT TO THE ATTENTION OF A MODERATOR, OR BOTH. BUT PLEASE, IN FAIRNESS, INCLUDE YOUR OFF TOPIC POST AS WELL.  RKBA2ND

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Redrighthand

Reply #38 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 8:10am
Print Post  
This is COMA (Crabby Old Man Association) not the ASSRA. Grin

Mike Brooks
IP Logged

Dusty Texian

Reply #39 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Jun 11th, 2022 at 11:28pm:
i MIGHT SUGGEST THAT YOU READ THE POST FROM THE BEGINNING TO THE END, AND IF YOU FEEL THIS IS OR HAS GONE IN A DIRECTION YOU FOR SOME REASON DON'T LIKE, EITHER DON'T READ FURTHER OR BRING IT TO THE ATTENTION OF A MODERATOR, OR BOTH. BUT PLEASE, IN FAIRNESS, INCLUDE YOUR OFF TOPIC POST AS WELL.  RKBA2ND
     No need to report you  the comments speak for themselves . 

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #40 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately this site is no longer the same site that it started out being back in 2004 when I few of us each gave some of our own personal money to be able to get it started. 

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

ISS
Oldtimer

Reply #41 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Dusty Texian,

you fail to realize that rkba2nd is now the self appointed arbiter for life, of the forum.  He determined early on, that the 32-40 is, in his words, "inhumane", for deer hunting.  IMHO, he is a smug,  self important prig who has mistaken the responses to his post as interest in what he has to say.  Lack of a sense of humor exacerbates the situation...

Rich
NOTE: taking oneself seriously here or elsewhere is the issue.

He rates: Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #42 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 11:36pm
Print Post  
Reminds me of a portion of a letter from my father, on my first birthday, from somewhere in the Pacific,  "Be tolerant and understanding, patient, courteous , loyal, make yourself a gentleman, as crudeness is a sign of ignorance", end of quote. I have for 78 years tried to live up to his expectations, a lot to ask. And I certainly don't need to ask for your approval, or anyone else for that matter. only myself. I find your remarks repugnant, as you have never met me, nor made an effort to know me. Not that you need, my approval, but I might suggest you work on some of my fathers suggestions, and the clock is ticking.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Please too, show where you quote me stating the 32-40 is inhumane for hunting deer. I never made that statement, only that there are better choices. I said the same regarding the 8.15x46R cartridge. There certainly is no humility in your opinion of me, but surely dishonesty.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 12:13am
Print Post  
ISS   I also would like to know where your other post with disparaging words regarding me disappeared to? Please respond!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint