Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Where to buy... (Read 2799 times)
Retreever

Where to buy...
Jan 2nd, 2022 at 9:22am
Print Post  
stock and forearm for rolling block rifle? And how do I know what to buy?

I am hoping to have a 38-55 built for me this year using a 1910 Remington Rolling Block action that had been barreled for 30-30 and a Green Mountain 0.375 octagon barrel both of which I bought last year.

Any feedback, suggestions , comments, directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Retreever

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Re: Where to buy...
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Treebone wood, should get you started.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I would suggest contacting Gunstocks Inc. His stocks are very reasonable, and he makes them for both military actions, so they fit what you're stating with, or for sporting actions also. His prices are better than anyone else's in the business, and he turns the stocks out quickly, so very reasonable wait times.
Last stock set I got for him was plain walnut as I wanted to keep the gun looking original, and the price was barely over $100 for stock and forearm.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2022 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Wood blanks from CPA Rifles for Rolling Blocks (after I sanded).

Pistol grip stock designed for straight tangs of Model 1 Remington Rolling Blocks (without bending) to slide in.

Remington Walker forearm.
Provide dimensions of your octagon barrel and the channel will be cut to fit.

Both were ordered with upgraded wood
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2022 at 11:31am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2022 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Thanks to everyone , I wound up buying a set from Gunstocks Inc in USA.

Roger

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2022 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Jan 2nd, 2022 at 11:20am:
Wood blanks from CPA Rifles for Rolling Blocks (after I sanded).

Pistol grip stock designed for straight tangs of Model 1 Remington Rolling Blocks (without bending) to slide in.

Remington Walker forearm.
Provide dimensions of your octagon barrel and the channel will be cut to fit.

Both were ordered with upgraded wood

+1  CPA does an excellent job on wood. Is always nicer then I am expecting in my experience.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
So the newly re-barreled action will be on its way back to me shortly , then I can start fitting the buttstock and forearm I bought from Gun Stocks in the USA.

Any suggestions for articles, Youtube videos etc about this aspect of rifle building, including sanding and staining?

Thanks Retreever

Thanks, Roger

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Retreever wrote on Aug 26th, 2022 at 6:14pm:
So the newly re-barreled action will be on its way back to me shortly , then I can start fitting the buttstock and forearm I bought from Gun Stocks in the USA.

Any suggestions for articles, Youtube videos etc about this aspect of rifle building, including sanding and staining?

Thanks Retreever

Thanks, Roger

Here's a series of posts I did a few years back on a bolt action stock.  Had one here on a high wall stock, but since we changed to the new forum.assra URL can't find any old posts anymore.

Main thing is get the tangs started in on the stock at the angle you want it to end up, and use inletting black or lipstick or something on the tangs to show you where to take away excess wood.  Don't get tempted to try to tap the stock on when it's too tight, the tangs will split the stock, and then you'll either have to learn how to repair the split, or start over.   

After you get the tangs most of the way in the action, thin the top and bottom of the wrist to just a bit proud of the tangs, to make it easier to see what you're doing.  See this thread I just posted to show some of how to do that:

Once you get the tangs all the way in till the front of the stock touches the receiver, put inletting black on the receiver, and tap the stock lightly to impress the action face onto the stock, to show you where to take off high spots.   

I'd expect to have that stock blank off and on to the action 50 or more times before you get a decent fit, with each time shaving off a little bit of wood a few thousands of an inch at a time. from the high spots indicated by the inletting black.

On a rolling block, you can slightly speed up the process if the tang recesses are substantially undersize, by taking off the lower tang, laying it over the inletting, and penciling in the outline.  Do the same for the top tang, and then take 95% of the wood away from the inside toward that line before you start using inletting black.  Use sharp chisels, and when you get close, if you don't trust yourself with chisels, use a series of riffler files or hook scrapers to take off the last bit.   

Good Luck!
dave 

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks SSD , both articles are much appreciated.

REtreever

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #9 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Got the forearm and buttstock rough fitted - now for the fine fitting and sanding.

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Looking good Retreever, now on to the final sanding and finish!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Sep 24th, 2022 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
One thing I do when dealing with fitting wood to finished metal is to protect the metal. I cover all the metal surfaces with blue painter's tape, and use two layers. If I happen to nick the top layer I stop and replace it before going on. Once all the surfaces are close enough to be even with the tape, I remove the stocks and do my final sanding, being very careful not to roll over the edges! I use small blocks with sandpaper to help me not round the edges, and keep test fitting the wood to the action to gauge how it's going.
Once it's a nice fit, I do the final sanding with around 350-360 grit, and then apply finish.
I prefer to always do stock work prior to metal finishing, but sometimes it's not possible if the gun is nice enough to leave the metal alone.

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2022 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Sep 24th, 2022 at 7:06pm:
One thing I do when dealing with fitting wood to finished metal is to protect the metal. I cover all the metal surfaces with blue painter's tape, and use two layers. If I happen to nick the top layer I stop and replace it before going on. Once all the surfaces are close enough to be even with the tape, I remove the stocks and do my final sanding, being very careful not to roll over the edges! I use small blocks with sandpaper to help me not round the edges, and keep test fitting the wood to the action to gauge how it's going.
Once it's a nice fit, I do the final sanding with around 350-360 grit, and then apply finish.
I prefer to always do stock work prior to metal finishing, but sometimes it's not possible if the gun is nice enough to leave the metal alone.

Thanks for tip on protecting the metal. I am of the same mind regarding finishing the metal - once the wood is all done then I will get the barrel hot blued , undecided what to do with the action, would love to get it color case hardened but that's very expensive up here. Will likely just get the actioned blues as well.

Retreever

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint