Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Stevens Martini (Read 1800 times)
ArtS

New Stevens Martini
Aug 26th, 2022 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
New user here. Bought a strange Martini on GB recently. You may have seen this. It is a small frame commercial Martini (not Cadet) fitted with what looks to be a stevens barrel in 25.20 SS. Barrel is exactly 26", marked "1" under the fore end. Fore end is stamped "J.A." inside. The action carries only Birmingham View proof marks (pre-1904). Only makers marks are an "H" on the front of the frame and a "G. H" as well as two other marks (unreadable) on the tang under the lever. Front of frame carries a 5 digit serial number. 
From all this, I can come up with no other likely scenario than that this was a trade action barreled by Stevens, either in the US or by someone representing Stevens in England who then shipped it to the US. If it had been barreled and sold in England, it would carry proof marks. Even most English export guns were proofed. The same if someone in England or the US rebarreled an existing rifle with an existing barrel. Really doubtful that someone in the US could obtain a trade action, and if so that they then used a used barrel.

I would like to hear any comments. Not being a .22 and not a military frame, it doesn't seem to fit the mysterious Bisley models.

IP Logged

ArtS

Re: New Stevens Martini
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Here are some pictures:

IP Logged

ArtS

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
And the rest.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
This is very interesting.  First and most importantly, this is NOT one of the fabled Stevens Bisley Martini-actioned rifles.  Second, it is a genuine Stevens barrel.  Third and weakest, I think the front sight is a Marbles Vickers-Maxim which despite what it's name sounds like is an American sight.

It's also a very elegant-looking little rifle; I hope you enjoy it.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Looks like a Martini that needed a new barrel, and someone had a Stevens barrel installed on it. Or they just wanted a more common caliber, and put the Stevens barrel on it.
If the work was done at Stevens they marked the barrels to indicate a rebarrel, or rebore done at Stevens.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Very nice rifle and find. I am curious to know the width across the flats, and the length of the octagon portion of the barrel. Also the diameter of the barrel at the transition from octagon to round, and the diameter at the muzzle. With this info maybe it can be determined whether the barrel was a barrel from a model 44/44 1/2 originally.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Aug 27th, 2022 at 8:19am:
Very nice rifle and find. I am curious to know the width across the flats, and the length of the octagon portion of the barrel. Also the diameter of the barrel at the transition from octagon to round, and the diameter at the muzzle. With this info maybe it can be determined whether the barrel was a barrel from a model 44/44 1/2 originally.

Wouldn't the #1 on the barrel indicate a fairly lightweight barrel?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Yes, but I have at least three 44 1/2 barrels that are mis-marked from the factory, a #3 that’s marked a #2, and a couple of #2’s that are marked #1. The barrel on the martini, if it was originally a 44/44 1/2 barrel, appears to have been turned down to a smaller diameter starting at the transition from octagon to round.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Aug 27th, 2022 at 11:17am:
Yes, but I have at least three 44 1/2 barrels that are mis-marked from the factory, a #3 that’s marked a #2, and a couple of #2’s that are marked #1. The barrel on the martini, if it was originally a 44/44 1/2 barrel, appears to have been turned down to a smaller diameter starting at the transition from octagon to round.

Those are not the only mis-markings on Stevens barrels.  I have a .25-20 SS marked & chambered barrel that has a .251" groove diameter and a twist for the .25 rimfire cartridge.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2022 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Of course back in their glory days Stevens would rebarrel your action for you… just about any action.  A friend who knew virtually nothing about single shots showed me his “unusual” Stevens rifle… it turned out to be a DST Ballard action with a Stevens factory rebarrel.  I wish I’d had the money to buy it from him!!

Froggie

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2022 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
It ain't English. The action is a Francotte. These were imported into England by the Braendlin Armoury.
A popular Rook and Rabbit action. This one was retailed by Rodda and is marked for both 360 no 5 and 380 long,
Fred

IP Logged

Crown-C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2022 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Fred; That is a handsome and classic looking rook rifle!

Richard
Crown-C Ranch in the Flinthills
NRA Life Member
ASSRA Member # 10366
Member & Founders Society, Cody Firearms Museum
Veteran

IP Logged

kensmachine
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2022 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
let's see the front of the forearm

IP Logged

Aussie_Hunter

Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Interested in Fred Boulton's comment that the action is a Francotte, I have had a  few of them (just bought another in 297/230) and all have had the Francotte trade mark on the left hand side of the action, which it would appear  this  rifle doesn't. It is a lovely  looking rifle though,well bought.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2022 at 9:48am
Print Post  
There the issue is whether the rifle was directly sold by Francotte, or supplied complete rifles or parts to the gun trade, where the 'finisher/retailer' would have put on his own markings.
Like the Westley Richards ZAR 'improved martini' rifles, which were built by WR on Francotte actions - but marked Westley Richards.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint