Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The family is expanding! (Read 2578 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

The family is expanding!
Dec 15th, 2021 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
With the addition of the 25-35 and 32-20 BCR choked barrels the family is now at 4. The action is the Stevens 44 1/2 factory engraved and originally RF. The oldest member is a .219 Donaldson Wasp that was put on the varmintized action back when using a Hauck R2 Lovell barrel. Then came the 6mm/30-30 and now the 32-20 and 25-35 barrels. Top to bottom are the 32-20, 25-35, .219 Donaldson and the 6mm/30-30. The first 3 share the forend.

IP Logged

Cbashooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: The family is expanding!
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2021 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Beautiful.

My CPA is back getting a 25 Krag barrel fitted to my action as well as a new 33-40 added.this is to go along with 45-70 and 348 barrel it came with!

Love these things!

Good idea using the Airgun base on the rear base

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 7:50am
Print Post  
great shooting outfit   art

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 11:14am
Print Post  
That airgun base solved the problem of using that scope with the target bases on the 25-35 and 32-20 for load development. More power than the MVA and less fuss than the Lischert. Easy on and off and easy to adjust the eye relief without messing with the rings. Going back a few years to when I first got the rifle, here's another option I had for scope mounting using the target bases and modified Warne rings but that scope now has special rings mounted for the special rail on the 6mm/30-30 barrel. This picture also shows what the stock looked like back then in old varminter pattern for scope use and comparing with the new pic you can see how I had to cut it down for tang sight use.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2021 at 11:32am by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Always been one of the biggest pluses for the Stevens 44 1/2. The ease of switching barrels on one action just makes for a very neat setup for a multi barrel set!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Yes, a big plus! But now my CPA is getting jealous - it only has 3 barrels: .22 LR, 32-40, and 38-50;-)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Nice setup !! 
Both the Steven's and CPA's are also to me the easiest for one to add a new barrel too and I have now done several for friends.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Longdistance1
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
NICE!!
LD1

IP Logged

mqabbi

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Brilliant. Thanks for sharing

IP Logged

northwoodneil

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2021 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Great setup and a nice piece of walnut that you have there.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2021 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Thanks, I'm very happy with it. Got out to the range today to just blast 100 rounds through the new 25-35 barrel to break it in (or really to get fully formed cases). Although I don't intend to shoot jacked bullets in it, I thought for the break in part I would shoot some I had surplus (and I didn't have to deplete my cast ones). So I went through the shoot /clean regimen for a while without seeing any need for it. I hate to just blast away with the same load for that many rounds so I had picked a few mild loads with different powders from a manual. I was shooting off a sandbag at 100 yards and even with the 10x I could tell that I had to be really careful in my aim and hold. Eventually I got around to shooting loads with 87 grain Sierra bullets. They were looking not too bad and then I shot 23 grains of Varget. That looked good enough that I was more careful when I shot the 5 with 24 grains and only blew one shot. The first 4 went into .4 inches and the blown opened it to .6. When I'm satisified I have worked up a good cast load I may have to come back and get serious with a target scope and a really steady rest and play with 24 grains plus and minus a couple of tenths. I have a feeling that the BRC barrel is going to be really good.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2021 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
What cast bullet are you using?  I just cast 125 or so of my 118 grain tapered bullet but am fixed loading with seating just 0.15 or so.  Have only shot a few with 9 grains of Buffalo powder but it looked promising.  I am trying just to use powders that I don't use in anything right now until we are able to buy powder again.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

CptCurl

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 6:53am
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

That good old vintage Weaver scope will serve well also.  I murdered a lot of groundhogs with one like it back in the '80s.  It was on a "varmintized" Sharps Borchardt in .225 Win.

Curly

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 22nd, 2021 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Tom, I only have two moulds that I will be trying in it. One is a 120 grain MOS straight (actually casts a little lighter) and the other is a Lyman 257325. I've pulled the 25-35 barrel off to finish bluing it and put the 32-20 barrel on because I want to get it ready for pistol cartridge cowboy. Curly, the Weaver is now on the 32-20 for load development. However, I have one obstacle to overcome. When swapping barrels I noticed that I have a broken firing pin:-( I can't find my spare and have written Gail for a couple more.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2022 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
New firing pins should be arriving shortly from CPA. Gail is sending a replacement for my broken one and I ordered a second one as a spare. Having a spare anything usually means I will never need it;-) Now shifting to the reloading section.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint