Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Wurfflein Rifle (Read 3763 times)
Welldone

Re: Wurfflein Rifle
Reply #15 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Wow. That helps a lot. 
Model No. 20 is closest.
This rifle doesn’t have a barrel mounted rear sight nor does it have the extra trigger guard loop.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
So maybe a 25 with the checkering sanded off?

IP Logged

Welldone

Reply #17 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
It’s closer to a 20 than a 25.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
What about the trigger guard loop?

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
High or low serial number?
No forearm indicates early run models
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2021 at 4:39pm by »  

IP Logged

Welldone

Reply #20 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
HELLO!!!!!!!
This rifle is listed on also on Gunbroker
Item number 914562882
Plenty of pictures.
Let’s see what everybody thinks.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
25 with the checkering sanded off

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #22 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Looks like a #20 to me. Nice old rifle. Nothing buggered bad. Wood is showing age. 32-40 is a good caliber. I think it's worth 1500.00. 

Having said that, bore condition is always questionable. If the bore is badly worn or defective. 1000.00. Bore condition is what I would be worried about.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #23 - Nov 2nd, 2021 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
More than one expert has declared that it’s often hardest to find an antique gun, especially a better model, that exactly matches the catalog description.  In the case of the Wurfflein rifle under discussion, I'd say that's the case.  Nor is that surprising, for William Wurfflein, like most top-grade gunsmiths even today, was more than willing to build to a customer’s specifications.

First off, please note that I’m hampered by the gun having at some point been very improperly “cleaned”.  Still, my best guess is that except for the shop-designated Off-hand Butt Plate, which looks to be nickel plated as usual, the action, barrel, etc. were blued.  Also, without actually examining the gun personally I won’t assert that there originally was checkering on the stock or the forearm.

In a nutshell, my guess is that this rifle is a No. 25 “Special” Mid Range Target Rifle, base priced at $45, and here given these money-saving customizations  :
     1.  A Beach substituted for a wind gauge front sight;
     2.  A plain fore-end and a butt stock with a little figure substituted for those with “fancy curl”;
     3.  An Off-hand butt plate substituted for a Swiss;
     4.  Checkering of the stock and fore-end omitted.

Other notes:
     1.  As for the “.32" caliber (Wurfflein never seemed to stamp his barrels), a seller’s update says it’s a .32-40 .  That would be nice.  But it might also be a .32-35 (also available for this model) - i.e., a chamber cast will be needed.
     2.  The seller calls the bore “very good”, which, unfortunately, can mean anything from “shootable” to “yes, you can see daylight through it”.
     3.  The seller asserts that the rifle “locks up tight”.  Since it seems to have suffered from poor storage and poor maintenance rather than use, I’ll tentatively accept that.
     4.  The vernier tang sight is a very nice extra, worth an easy $300-$400 by itself.

Finally, the seller's starting bid is $1500, so I assume $1650 is his unadvertised “Buy-It-Now” price.  To my mind, that’s a maximum "from pictures" valuation, but not an outrageous one.

Bill Lawrence
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2021 at 4:20pm by MrTipUp »  

IP Logged

AZshot

Reply #24 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I'm sure most noticed it sold the next day off Gunbroker.  Giving out info on an active listing does that sometimes.  Not saying someone here got it or not, but it's possible.

IP Logged

Clint
Participating Member

Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Howdy, I know I haven’t posted here much, but I do read a lot and thank you all for your great info and insight!  I know too that I am late coming into this thread, but last fall I acquired a Wurfflein No. 2 Sporting and Gallery Rifle myself and have become fascinated with all things 'Wurfflein'.  (I also owned two modern Knight KP1 Wurfflein rifles and 4 barrels prior to finding my No. 2.)  I have been perusing the internet for a couple of months now collecting/saving every photo I could of every original Wirfflein cartridge/shotgun arm I could find, and whatever Wurfflein literature was to be gleaned as well.  While I am certainly no expert of Wurffleins, I do agree with some points made by MrTipUp, but do tend to have my own perspective sometimes.

I have done stock refinishing, recheckering, new checkering for well over 30 years now and handled many stocks refinished by others.  After looking very closely at the photos posted on GB, I can see no evidence that there was ever any checkering to begin with to sand off.  I only see originally uncheckered, but perhaps stripped, lightly sanded and refinished, wood that has shrunk back a little over time.

As far as the correct model designation for this rifle, #5284, I would tend to agree with Welldone and westerner, in that it appears to me to be closer to being a Model 20 Mid Range Target Rifle than it does a Model 25 'Special'.  With all due respect to MrTipUp, what would be gained by stripping down a Model 25, given the omissions listed by him, over adding extras to a Model 20?  From my perspective and from the standpoint of frugality, in this case it would seem more logical to me to start low and add on rather than start high and take off, thus ending up with the same end result for a bit less money. 
(To be continued in my next post:)

IP Logged

Clint
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Jan 15th, 2022 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
(:Continued from my last post)
Both the 1889 and 1894 catalogs I have seen photos of show the same prices for all rifles and extras.  Starting out with a Model 20 at $30.00, if one upgrades from the Improved Graduated Peep Sight ($3.00) to the Improved Vernier Mid Range Peep Sight ($4.00), that adds $1.00.  If no Open Rear Sight is ordered, that takes off at least $.50 (who knows what the cost savings of not having to cut the dovetail slot in the barrel is).  The Globe and Beach Combination front sights are both $1.00, so that is a wash.  The butt plate shown on #5284 is the standard one provided on most of the basic models, so no extra charges there.  The butt stock on #5284 is a step or two above basic wood, but not nearly as fancy as some stocks I've seen photos of, so adding anywhere from $3.00 to $10.00, let's say $4.00 to be added here.  That brings the total cost with changes/upgrades to $34.50, if I'm not mistaken in any respect.

Compare that to starting with a Model No. 25 'Special' at $45.00.  This model already comes with the Improved Vernier Mid Range Peep Sight, so no price changes there.  Going from the front Wind Gauge Sight ($3.00) to the Beach Combination Front Sight ($1.00) saves $2.00.  Ordering the wood with no checkering saves between $3.00 and $6.00, so let’s assume a $4.00 savings.  All butt plate extras are shown at $1.50 to $2.00, with no reference that I have seen anywhere as to what the standard metal butt plate was called (is this the Off-hand butt plate referred to by MrTipUp?), or what it costs by itself.  I will step out on a limb here and assume that if $2.00 (for the most expensive butt plate add-on) is deducted, this would leave the cost of the standard metal butt plate.  So, deducting these down-grades amounts to total a savings of $8.00, resulting in a price of $37.00 for the stripped down Model No. 25 ‘Special’, compared to $34.50 for the upgraded Model No. 20.  I know it amounts to a difference of only $2.50, but which way would you go?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint