Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Talk to me about 38-55 Single Shot (Read 13875 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Talk to me about 38-55 Single Shot
Reply #60 - May 1st, 2021 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Here is the link to the CPA Web site and Gail Schuttleworth is the owner and a real nice Lady. Her contact information is also located there.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #61 - May 1st, 2021 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Retreever thier profiled and polished barrels are so nice that I decided not to even blue my own as shown below. So much so I had to be real careful while doing all of my own machine work to the blank. So I just wrapped it to keep it protected and when done I didn't even have to touch it up when completed so I just decided to leave it unblued. The picture doesn't really show just how nice the barrel actually is. It is basically bead blasted after polishing and thus leaving a real smooth and very nice mat finish to it that is actually ready to be rust blued.   

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2021 at 2:40pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #62 - May 1st, 2021 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
I have several 38-55’s in various actions. The fastest twist is 1:14 which handles 370 gr slugs with no issues out to 500M.  Most of the others are 1:15 twist, which seems common for this caliber, and those barrels will also shoot these heavy projectiles with no difficulties.   
The drawback I have experienced is in heavy wind or where the backstop doesn’t permit good spotting.  I don’t have opportunities to shoot past 600 yards so I don’t concern myself with the longer distances.
My wife was consistently knocking over rams at 500M using a Uberti HW in 38-55 with 350 gr slugs. It has a 1:15 twist. 
Great cartridge.
Mike.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #63 - May 1st, 2021 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
I like the 38-55. Have used it a lot but other than black powder schuetzen I don't have much use for it.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #64 - May 2nd, 2021 at 6:23am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 1st, 2021 at 2:09pm:
Here is the link to the CPA Web site and Gail Schuttleworth is the owner and a real nice Lady. Her contact information is also located there.

Hi JL, CPA being in the US is a problem , US Export regulations adds significantly to the cost for us Canadians that's why I am looking closer to home.

Retreever

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #65 - May 2nd, 2021 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Retreever I did not realize you were out of the country. You might want to try contacting Ron Smith who is also in your Country. But his RKS gain twist cut rifled barrels are abit expensive but you do get exactly what you want. 

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #66 - May 2nd, 2021 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 11:24am:
Retreever I did not realize you were out of the country. You might want to try contacting Ron Smith who is also in your Country. But his RKS gain twist cut rifled barrels are abit expensive but you do get exactly what you want. 

I'm also in Canada and bought a barrel from Ron and he said he wasn't interested in doing the octagonal profiling.   

It's difficult enough up here to get good gun smithing that the last RKS barrel I bought came from Gail at CPA.  It's a beautiful gain twist barrel and they machined it to a #4 Winchester profile.  The quality of the work is excellent.  I think I could blue it with no polishing whatsoever.

One of these days it's going to go onto a Meacham 1885 action that I have ready to go.

Chris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #67 - May 2nd, 2021 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Chris how hard and expensive was it for CPA to ship into your Country and for it to finally get to you.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #68 - May 2nd, 2021 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 1:47pm:
Chris how hard and expensive was it for CPA to ship into your Country and for it to finally get to you.

It wasn't cheap, I think a little over twice the price of the barrel blank directly from Ron, but I knew the profiling work would be done properly, and RKS 32 cal gain twist barrels can be hard to get so when I it listed on CPA's site I ordered it. 

I had to pay for an FFL to handle the import/export.  I used Prophet River Firearms in Alberta to deal with the paperwork.  I think it was $50 + shipping if I recall. 

Chris.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #69 - May 2nd, 2021 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
I just had a look at the CPA web site.   RKS gain twist barrel blank $475.  ( for half the price you can get a different brand ).   Contour to octagon + polish $270.

So that's pretty much what I paid, plus the shipping and $50 paperwork.

I've got to get the barrel fit to the action and chambered yet.   
I've only owned one other RKS barrel on a .32-40 and it was probably my most accurate cast bullet rifle I've owned, but I sold it as it was a Ruger #1 and I want to focus on traditional style rifles.  Interestingly that barrel had 8 lands. 

Chris.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #70 - May 2nd, 2021 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Many RKS barrels are 8 groove. Gramps started doing only 6 groove barrels after he turned about 75.  When he asks me how my barrel is shooting, I tell him it shoots perty good for a barrel with two grooves missing.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #71 - May 2nd, 2021 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
My 28 inch Douglas pre-profiled and polished half round to octagon was under 400.00 and the full octagon is indeed abit more.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #72 - May 2nd, 2021 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on May 2nd, 2021 at 4:19pm:
Many RKS barrels are 8 groove. Gramps started doing only 6 groove barrels after he turned about 75.  When he asks me how my barrel is shooting, I tell him it shoots perty good for a barrel with two grooves missing.

Thanks Joe, I didn't know that.  My Ruger #1 with 8 grooves was built in 1990.  I have two recent RKS barrels from CPA that are 6 groove.  I have a .38-50 that I'll have to take a look at.  Maybe it's 8.  It shoots pretty well either way.

John when I bought my second CPA I picked a Douglas XX barrel as I remember seeing some targets you posted.  I'm quite happy with the barrel on that rifle!

Chris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint