Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Deer season down here in Oz (Read 4146 times)
Spud
Senior Forum Member

Deer season down here in Oz
Apr 16th, 2021 at 2:12am
Print Post  
Well, despite the terrible bush fires we had through our region last year that burnt out a lot of prime deer country, the season has got off to a terrific start. I headed out to my local spot up in the hills earlier this week for a few days chasing Fallow deer to kick off the season. The bucks usually start croaking (yes, they sound just like big frogs) about now. The boys were hard at it & I was lucky enough to take a nice spika with the Ruger No.1 in .303 Brit and a stag with an old Winchester '95 also in .303.
Here's the spika with the Ruger....as I've said before, this rifle is about as modern as it gets for me and shoots well in the .303. This deer has the typical fallow markings and I reckon spikas are the best eating.
Spud

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Re: Deer season down here in Oz
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 2:45am
Print Post  
I'm sure people won't get too upset if I include a photo of the Fallow stag with the Win '95 even though it's not a single shot. This carbine version is a great rifle in to carry in the bush and the standard sights are OK to use with old eyes except in real low light conditions. The .303 chambering was popular here in Oz & NZ but I suppose it would be rare over there in the USA. This rifle was made in 1921 and and has been here for most of it's life.
This fallow is the other variety that we encounter with the darker melanistic colouring.
I saw this stag chasing a doe early in the morning but lost him in some thick timber near the crest of a hill. I returned to the same area later the same day and sat on a well used game trail hoping he might reappear just before dark after an afternoon snooze. Everything went according to plan and the wind was in my favour as I heard a twig crack up the trail and saw a dark shape moving down the trail. At the flash of an antler I eased the hammer back to full cock and sighted on a gap between the trees. I suppose his mind was on those girls down in the valley as he sauntered down the trail and into view. He never knew what hit him!
The freezer is now well & truly filled with venison.
Spud 

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 5:21am
Print Post  
Congratulations on your successful hunts, nice deer and rifles!  Smiley

IP Logged

degoins

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:48am
Print Post  
Very cool!!! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Yes, both deer and guns are great! Congratulations!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Good on ya!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Nice going. It is also good to see that the land, and what lives on it is recovering. We get some big fires here in the western US, but I know you were really up to it last season.

IP Logged

Fritz
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Congratulations on a great hunt Spud. Out of curiosity what weight was your Fallow deer?

YIM  
IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Fritz,
I'd estimate that the stag weighed about 120 lbs and the spikey probably about 90-100 (he had a good layer of fat on & was in great condition for a young animal). When they are on good feed the older stags can get up around 150-175. I cooked up some of the backstrap from the stag today and it was pretty good.
Thanks for the comments guys.
Spud

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I bet if that 95 could talk it would keep us all entertained for awhile!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Tom, I reckon you're right. I purchased that rifle from the owner of a big cattle station (ranch) up in Nth Australia. It had last been fired back in the 60's. Despite the worn finish to the action, the bore is in excellent shape and the wood hardly has a scratch on it. Previous owners had taken good care of it.
Spud

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
One time up in Colorado in elk season, an old ranch foreman gave me his 95 in 30-40 and his ammo and said go get an elk. Fortunately, I didn't see one on that day. I told him his ammo looked kind of old (it had the old domed primers) and if he would loan me the rifle I would make him some new ammo tailored to it. So, at home, I took it to the range and shot his old ammo up to get the brass. I say shot, but it was more like pull the trigger, wait for the hammer to fall, wait, wait, boom! I've seen much faster response from a flintlock! And that's why I was fortunate not to have seen an elk that day; between the click of the hammer falling and the boom, the elk would have been in the next county.

IP Logged

Sam Menard

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Congratulations, those are fine animals.  Incidentally, I had a discussion with a fellow this week who told me that Ruger produced a Number 1 in the .303 caliber.  Until then I wasn’t aware of that fact.  I don’t suppose that there was much interest in that combination outside of the Comminwealth.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Used to pack into the wilderness here in Ca. and about five miles back. One of the older fellows in our group shot a 8MM that he brought back from the war and worked on it. No doubt the best shot in the group and we hunted at and above the timber line so shots were always quite long. He had always used his Iron sights and he always got his game every year. He was finally talked into putting a scope on it by the group. The next year he missed every animal that he shot at and the next year the scope was already back off. The sights on the 95 brought that back into my mind as you just don't seem them being used that much anymore. Used to be most everyone had buck horn sights put on and what I also used to shoot my first deer and that is going back over 51 years ago now.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

hornet

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2021 at 10:35am
Print Post  
As a friend said GOOD HUNTING Smiley
Max

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint