Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 8.15x46 for deer (Read 22933 times)
rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 8.15x46 for deer
Reply #30 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
Rather than bumping up a charge by one grain and or choosing another powder, the poster has wisely made the choice instead to choose another rifle. From a ballistic standpoint, there is a considerable difference between an 8.15x46 and the 38-55. Also a considerable difference in the size of the intended game. Roe buck might weigh 75 lbs, a Mule deer or whitetail buck,  three times that weight. Perhaps let the intended prey weigh in on the choice!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #31 - Mar 17th, 2021 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I wasn't giving my example of using my Ballard Union Hill in .38-55 as a comparison to knock down power. I was using it as an example of using a schuetzen type rifle to hunt deer, since he mentioned some hesitancy to use his schuetzen for deer.
And bumping up a full grain isn't something I'd do if the charge was close, and I was trying to define a perfect load. But his load for the .32-40 using 7.5 grs. of Unique is so anemic he can easily go up 1 full grain, and not be putting anything into jeopardy. Once he's bumped it up to 8.5 grs. Unique, he can then begin to refine it slowly until it's what he wants. But as it is it's much to mild for deer hunting with a .32-40 and 175 gr. bullet.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

85lc

Reply #32 - Mar 18th, 2021 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
The Germans used this round for roe deer which are small deer.  The German hunting load for the 8.15x46r isn't as powerful as a 30/30.  It is more along the lines of a 32/40.

However, shot placement is very important and and if one is careful and takes close in shots, this round should be adequate for southern whitetail.  After all, deer are being killed with 357 S&W magnums and even 22 LR.

NRA Life Member, ASSRA Life Member, GGCA Life Member

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Again, BlackPowderLove stated that his rifle in question is a German schuetzen rifle from the early twenties. Unless one gets lucky, and the rifle fits, it would be from an offhand position, not a good or best situation for a hunting rifle regardless of cartridge. In my estimation even more so with the cartridge in question. To use the example of taking a large Mule deer buck at 140 yards with a 38-55 to justify the use of the posters rifle to do the same, albeit at shorter range, is not a credible comparison nor a wise choice. This is my opinion and may not agree with others, but is none the less, just as worthy of consideration. I do wish BlackPowderLove the best of luck on his deer hunt, but also pleased with his decision to use another and better choice of rifle and cartridge. Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #34 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Without seeing his rifle, and knowing just what it looks like, it's all speculation. If it's a full blown schuetzen rifle, it might be awkward to hunt with. I'd have hunted with my Aydt schuetzen rifle in the same caliber without hesitation. But mine wasn't one of the exotic stocked Aydt's, and actually even had sling swivels to make it easier to pack around.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #35 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Granted, it would help to see the rifle in question, but it was described as a German schuetzen rifle, and "very much a target rifle", hence my notations. As I always say, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #36 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I'd describe a Union Hill the same way, but I had no problem using it for hunting. 
I've used my .32-40's with a 170 cast lead bullet for deer also, and never had to take a 2nd shot to bring mule deer down.
Granted my .30-06 does a great job too, but even it can take a 2nd shot on rare occasion. Lots of variables involved in why a deer drops, even with a perfect shot placement, and the right cartridge, and gun.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Let's make this simple, you do things your way, and I will do them my way.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #38 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Mar 21st, 2021 at 4:32pm:
Let's make this simple, you do things your way, and I will do them my way.

??? Thought that was what we were talking about?

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
It was, I was just done.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

johnston

Reply #40 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
i,m  Elmer  i also think in big guns that shoot big holes

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #41 - Mar 22nd, 2021 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Until a big fire burned my traditional hunting area (1959 on ...) I used several rifles but settled on a handi-rifle in 30-30. LVR and good hunting bullet. Worked rather well!
Now we hunt family property in a muzzleloader only area so .50 cal, short range i.e. 50 yds.  Tree stand, area is too small for more than one hunter at a time, bounded on two sides by public trail so one has to carefully make certain that everything goes into the ground.

IP Logged

85lc

Reply #42 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
There is a nice article in Handloader about the 8.15x46r and comparing it to the 32/40 both in terms of target shooting and hunting deer.

NRA Life Member, ASSRA Life Member, GGCA Life Member

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #43 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Interesting in that you brought up the 30-30 and what I killed my first deer with when still a wee lad and in the 7th grade. Still a good choice now as it was way back then and so would the 8.15X46R be as far as I am concerned within its own effective range. Also reminds abit about going to Colorado to hunt and the care taker of the private land he allowed us to hunt on was a Native American. He used to joke about and shake his head at some of the firearms the out of state per-say elephant hunters would typically bring with them. He shot a 243 for everything including elk and bear and myself a 6MM Rem on a Ruger #1B so I could easily relate to him.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #44 - May 1st, 2021 at 11:54am
Print Post  
One last reply and then I will shut up. Many German Schuetzen rifles are not strong actions, with no high side walls to support the block. There are exceptions such as system Konkurrence.
Some not all of the Martini and Martini style actions are strong and the Meister is a true falling block. The tipping block actions are very common, some are good quality some are not. Great care should should be taken in attempting to make an 8.15x46 into a 30 30 power round. Why stress these old pieces of history.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint