Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) J. Stevens Marksman Rifle (Read 13166 times)
Retreever

J. Stevens Marksman Rifle
Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Just bought this rifle at an auction. Taking it to the range tomorrow. I don't know a lot about these rifles I just liked the look of it and it was a decent price  Wink ($280.00USD)

Apparently at some point it was re-barreled to .22 Hornet. Everything appears right and tight the opening action works solidly. The scope is a Belding & Mull 3X and a unique feature to me is you can adjust the elevation and windage at both the back and front mounts.

Also if anyone knows what the stamp marks on the underside of the action are that would be great.

I'd really be interested in any information from the founts of knowledge in this group about either rifle or the scope.

Regards, Roger

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Re: J. Stevens Marksman Rifle
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Someone made that up from a .44 shot 101 featherweight shotgun,centerfire,which was indeed based on the marksman. Please be careful, I would only shoot light loads in this rifle!!! Not a strong action due to the take down using a sleeve,with the barrel being a slip fit and not threaded,unless whoever built this rifle beefed it up.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I may be incorrect, seeing the 32 stamped on the bottom of the action,your rifle possibly started out as a .32 rimfire Marksman converted to centerfire,rather than a .44 shot 101 featherweight.
Has the firing pin been moved and sleeved?

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Nov 6th, 2020 at 4:42pm:
I may be incorrect, seeing the 32 stamped on the bottom of the action,your rifle possibly started out as a .32 rimfire Marksman converted to centerfire,rather than a .44 shot 101 featherweight.
Has the firing pin been moved and sleeved?

Sureshot I'll get you a pic of the firing pin.

Retreever

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Regardless of whether it started out as a rim- or center-fire action, it's still a Marksman, which was primarily offered as one of Stevens' better boy's rifles.  Or let's look at it this way: Even factory-loaded .22 Hornets proved to be too "hot" for the Model 44, a stronger action than this one.  Therefore, I'd want to shoot it only with very light loads, if at all.

The good news is that the Belding & Mull scope, while not seen that often, is potentially a very good one and is certainly from the same period as the rifle.

All-in-all, in my opinion, not a "varmint rifle" by any means but still potentially a nice outfit for rambling in the fields and woods after small game.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2020 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Double dittos.   Frank deHaas opined that that the Marksman  might be OK for light .38 Special loads, (circa 8000 psi).  The Hornet is typically loaded to three or four times that!   The barrel is so skinny where the chamber is that I'd start thinking about hoop strength.  

If it were mine, I'd ditch that barrel immediately and fit something more appropriate, such as .32 Long Colt.  Or one of these "micro" .22 or .25 centerfires that some people are playing with.  

---------------

A cursory run through Quickload suggests that a 45 grain cast bullet and 2.0 grains of Red Dot or Bullseye in the Hornet case would be safe, and yield MV comparable to .22 HV rimfire ammo. 
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2020 at 10:12pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Nov 6th, 2020 at 8:18pm:
Regardless of whether it started out as a rim- or center-fire action, it's still a Marksman, which was primarily offered as one of Stevens' better boy's rifles.  Or let's look at it this way: Even factory-loaded .22 Hornets proved to be too "hot" for the Model 44, a stronger action than this one.  Therefore, I'd want to shoot it only with very light loads, if at all.

The good news is that the Belding & Mull scope, while not seen that often, is potentially a very good one and is certainly from the same period as the rifle.

All-in-all, in my opinion, not a "varmint rifle" by any means but still potentially a nice outfit for rambling in the fields and woods after small game.

Bill Lawrence

Thanks for heads up Bill. I have a couple of questions. Regards the B&M Scope any idea where I might find a 'user manual' and any idea of the value.

In regards to lighter loads, I don't have the budget to re-barrel it so looks like this is my only option if I want to shoot it - what would constitute a lighter load. I use black powder for 45-70 would that be an option for hand loading 22 Hornet ammo?

Retreever

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Hi All, well needless to say I was disappointed to read that this new toy is unsafe to shoot. I don't really have the resources to fit another barrel or actually know anyone who could.

I did take it to the range and remote fired it , wound up putting 50 rounds through. No visible damage but just not worth the risk. I guess it could fail at any time. Took some additional pics after finished shoot but damn it looks nice.  Grin

Retreever

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Fifty rounds of commercial ammo?   Lucky man.  

Black powder of course.  

My bolt-thrust calculator yields numbers like these for the cartridges that the Marksman was originally built for
400 lbs.  .22 LR High Velocity
550 lbs.  .32 Long rimfire
700 lbs.  .25 Stevens rimfire

800 lbs.  .38 Special wadcutter target loads

800 lbs.  .22 Hornet loaded down to 1900 fps w/35 grain bullet.

1800 lbs.  Approximate commercial Hornet 45 grain load - 2600 fps.  

These are only engineering calculations, not much tested in the real world for lack of instrumentation.  But you see where we're coming from.

Quickload says a load of 3.5 grains Unique behind a 45 grain bullet would yield in the neighborhood of 800 lbs. thrust.  MV comparable to .22 magnums. 
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2020 at 2:56pm by uscra112 »  

<div class=

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Reloading 22 Hornet to 22 LR level is very easy and works well. I do it with cast bullets. Not to mention it is very inexpensive to do;-)

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Nov 7th, 2020 at 2:04pm:
Fifty rounds of commercial ammo?   Lucky man.  

Black powder of course.  

My bolt-thrust calculator yields numbers like these for the cartridges that the Marksman was originally built for
400 lbs.  .22 LR High Velocity
550 lbs.  .32 Long rimfire
700 lbs.  .25 Stevens rimfire

800 lbs.  .38 Special wadcutter target loads

800 lbs.  .22 Hornet loaded down to 1900 fps w/35 grain bullet.

1800 lbs.  Approximate commercial Hornet 45 grain load - 2600 fps.  

These are only engineering calculations, not much tested in the real world for lack of instrumentation.  But you see where we're coming from.

Quickload says a load of 3.5 grains Unique behind a 45 grain bullet would yield in the neighborhood of 800 lbs. thrust.  MV comparable to .22 magnums. 

Yes, commercial ammo. 

I currently reload 45LC with Trail Boss and 45-70 with Goex ffG Black Powder or Triple7 depending on the gun (antique or repro). I'm thinking Trail Boss for the 22 Hornet reloads, what do you think?

Retreever

IP Logged

Retreever

Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Nov 7th, 2020 at 2:40pm:
Reloading 22 Hornet to 22 LR level is very easy and works well. I do it with cast bullets. Not to mention it is very inexpensive to do;-)

Thanks, can you tell me where I would find load data. I currently reload with Trail Boss, Goex ffG and Triple7. What about Trail Boss for the 22 Hornet? What weight bullet?

Retreever

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I don't know about Trail Boss in a Hornet sized case, just that it can build pressure very fast. For bullets, I use Lyman 225438 (essentially a copy of the 22 LR bullet) at 44 grains and Lyman 425415 at 55 grains. Both are gas check but at light loads will be fine without them. You could tumble lube them easily. I would think around 3 grains of Unique would work good for you.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Again just going by the Quickload model, about 3.0 grains of Trail Boss.  The 35 grain V-Max for a modern jacketed bullet would be my choice.

I am a little in awe that a Marksman stood 50 rounds of 30,000+ ammo without loosening the headspace up, at a minimum. 

<div class=

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #14 - Nov 7th, 2020 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
  Me too, that is impressive!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint