Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hunting with a set trigger (Read 10700 times)
JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hunting with a set trigger
Reply #30 - Jul 9th, 2021 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Interesting in how things change and back the day all if not most flintlocks to be able put food on the table or for sale had set triggers. Kind of reminds of Truck Drivers now days and only about 1 in 10 can actually manually shift transmission through the gears and rest now use automatic transmissions. When I first started out I had two sticks one for the main and the other one for the axillary. I can still use both set triggers for hunting and two sticks in a truck.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

BillyJack
Participating Member

Reply #31 - Jul 2nd, 2022 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
I hunt with my Shiloh Sharps 45-70 using set triggers. However, my front trigger will fire the rifle without being set by the rear trigger. Without being set the front trigger is very similar in weight to my other hunting rifles. So my answer is "yes I use set triggers, but i don't usually set them".

IP Logged

Hartford Tommy
Participating Member

Reply #32 - Aug 23rd, 2022 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I too hunt with set triggers.  I have encountered no issues with using them.  Just takes a different mindset and approach.  I guess I prefer single set for hunting, just  one less to manipulate.

IP Logged

Hartford Tommy
Participating Member

Reply #33 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 11:43am
Print Post  
I too use several rifles with set triggers, mostly Ruger #1s with both Canjar and Kepplinger triggers.  I do not use gloves when shooting so no issues.  As noted in a previous post it just takes a different mindset.  The Canjar is also excellent not set if needed.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Nov 9th, 2022 at 11:36am
Print Post  
I have been hunting here in Germany for more than 35 years now. While it is true that many old German rifles are equipped with set-triggers that is not the case today. In fact most of the new rifles I have seen over those 35+ years have had single triggers. Many Mauser type rifles (98 mil actions) rebuilt since WWII have been fitted with double set triggers but often the gunsmith did not open up the trigger guard to make room for a gloved finger, in fact in many cases there is hardly room for the trigger finger. I once owned a Mauser 66 Stutzen in 6.5X57 that oddly (for it's vintage) had a single trigger. That rifle leads me to believe the shift to single triggers on German hunting rifles was happening in the 1970's/1980's.

That said, on my original Mauser sporting rifles (not converted military guns) with double-set trigger I like them to be at about 2lbs. The single shots I hunt with all have single triggers and I like those at about 4lbs.

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint