Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hunting with a set trigger (Read 10697 times)
frosty_bacon
Participating Member

Hunting with a set trigger
Aug 3rd, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Curious what weight people have their set triggers adjusted to when hunting. Do you use the same weight at the bench and in the field? What about in cold weather?

Cheers,
Frosty

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Re: Hunting with a set trigger
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
I have a number of rifles with set triggers, only 2 that I have hunted with. A bolt action and a muzzle loader. Since those are both used in cold weather conditions I have them set as  or about as heavy as they can be. And to be truthful, that isn't really all that heavy. FWIW my target rifles are set on the heavy side as well but thats just me, I kind of like to feel when the finger touches the trigger. I am sure others will have much different opinions. For the most part I think its an individual thing, go with what your comfortable with.
Sam

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
I've hunted with several Ballard rifles with double set triggers. I prefer light triggers, and don't shoot with gloves on, so I leave mine set light. Never had any issues with light triggers and hunting, or issues with cold vs. hot weather on my gun's triggers.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I personally would not even attempt to use my set trigger for hunting purposes. It is down to a few ounces and it is just not safe for myself to use in a hunting environment. It is soley meant to be used for benchrest competitive matches and nothing else. For my hunting rifles it would be a couple of pounds with no over travel and a very crisp let off and how I do my own. I also don't care for a two stage trigger or any prior free movement to the trigger when I am starting to squeeze it off.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:11pm by JLouis »  

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

yamoon
Oldtimer

NRA Life, ASSRA , GGCA,
MCA

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
I have several German Schuetzen rifles with DST set very light, obviously I don’t hunt with them. I have  a couple of hundred plus year old Mauser sporters with DST that I hunt with. The triggers are set light. I hunt from hides so there is generally time to remove my glove. 
Mike

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
What is the old saying about opinions?
Hunted for years with set triggers. Would not be without them, but only the two lever type.
Quick shots in the timber, not set, three or four pound pull.
Longer shots, usually prone, kneeling or on a rest, set the triggers.
For a hunting rifle, pay as much attention to unset pull as the set pull.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Since the flintlock came into use for hunting, double set triggers have been used. Same with percussion hunting rifles. The Sharps buffalo rifles had double set triggers, German hunting rifles have double set triggers. Ballard hunting rifles like the Pacific have double set triggers. Most hunting rifles have DST. Jeager rifles had DST. 

For hunting I would use double set triggers. Set light, same as when target shooting because that's what I'm used too. 

You cock the hammer and set the trigger just before firing at game, not when you're busting thru brush.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Winchester 71

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 12:35am
Print Post  
I go along with Westerner........I'v been a Outfitter for a very long time and if I found a client running around in the brush with a hammer back his hunt would be over............had a USFW agent in my rig with a round in the chamber and the muzzle banging me in the right side of my chest with muzzle up and his undercover hunt was over at that point.............

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Yes, it's nice to have double sets on a hunting rifle; but whether I set them depends on the circumstances.  And I'd bet it was the same 'way back when Westerner was a boy as well.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 4:02am
Print Post  
I had a German percussion hunting rifle when I was little. Dad let me use it anyway.  Beautifully engraved. Inlaid in gold on the top flat was Kormann. Shot a lot of Injuns on the Zenith back then.  It had double sets. 

My bolt guns all have single stage triggers set very light.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2020 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
Set triggers aren't unsafe for hunting. You don't walk around with the triggers set, or hammer cocked, so no difference between set triggers and a single non set trigger until you get ready to fire.
I have to cock the hammer before each shot anyway, so once I cock the hammer, I set the trigger. Then I'm ready to zero in on game, and touch it off. Can't see where the unsafe part of this is?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I hunt with set triggers. Same a target shooting.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

BlackPowderLove

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I like set triggers.  I have never seen an issue with them hunting.  I can see that a VERY light trigger like on my old German Schuetzen may be a bit light but I would rather that than an overly hard pull.

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”
IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Aug 3rd, 2020 at 11:17pm:
Since the flintlock came into use for hunting, double set triggers have been used. Same with percussion hunting rifles. The Sharps buffalo rifles had double set triggers, German hunting rifles have double set triggers. Ballard hunting rifles like the Pacific have double set triggers. Most hunting rifles have DST. Jeager rifles had DST. 

For hunting I would use double set triggers. Set light, same as when target shooting because that's what I'm used too. 

You cock the hammer and set the trigger just before firing at game, not when you're busting thru brush. 

Huh, never really thought about it, must have been obvious and always taken it for granted, but you have a very, very good point. 
Cheesy

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

record holder.

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2020 at 12:03am
Print Post  
"Huh, never really thought about it, must have been obvious and always taken it for granted, but you have a very, very good point. Cheesy"

Well, it just stands to reason......

Bill Tyler quote from The Mountain Men.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint