Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What to do with a Low Wall (Read 3342 times)
n.r.davis
Oldtimer

What to do with a Low Wall
Jun 23rd, 2020 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Got my first Low Wall.  Stevens 25-25 barrel cut down to 25-20WCF.  Action has a factory center fire breach block in good shape.  It is a flat spring action.  Action is soft and reading the article about Winder Muskets I am thinking that I would like to Case Harden the receiver.   Either that or properly Heat Treat the receiver.  Any suggestions on the Heat Treatment and making a 25-20 WCF out of it before I blow my head off doing something ill advised.  Undecided. David

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: What to do with a Low Wall
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
If it's a flat spring it probably isn't one of the 'soft' ones. How did you determine that? Curious.
For that matter, are the cut down ones really untreated? Mine seems to be hanging in there pretty well for a hundred plus seasons- no wear anyhow. Still a .22, so it hasn't seen any dire pressure excursion.

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Not very professional, I took my 3 corner scraper to it and there was no resistance, felt the same as mild steel when I deburr.  Serial number on one list puts it as 1905.  The Breach Block and Hammer are hard but not the Finger Lever.  Hopefully going to be a fun Winter Project.  David

IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2020 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
OK, a couple of questions.  First, you say the barrel was "cut back" to 25-20-WCF.  It sounds like you are saying the barrel was set back, threaded and chambered for 25-20 - correct?  If so, why are you saying you want to make a 25-20 WCF out of it - it already is?

Second, how did you determine the action is "soft"?  If it is a flat spring it is not a Winder - they all have coil springs.  Hardening should not be necessary unless you are going to a cartridge well beyond the modest strength of the low wall.  I recall a DeHaas bolt thrust curve that indicated the low wall was was capable of handling 25-20 WCF, 218 Bee and 22 Hornet.  The 257 Magnum was "on the line" of the upper limit.  Based on this it seems you should be fine with a 25-20 WCF without metal treatment.

IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2020 at 10:07am
Print Post  
1is enough, Thanks for mentioning Bolt Thrust, I can go to SAAMI for Chamber Pressure but that is only part of the equation.  2nd non Professional test: I took a Prick Punch with a 4oz Hammer and easily made a mark on the Receiver but not the Breach Block.  The barrel that came with it can be screwed on by hand with so much slop it makes a Hardware Store Bolt feel like a Class 5 fit.  It may be a candidate for lining as the rest of the barrel is fine.  I assume the #1 stamped by the serial number on the barrel is the weight.  I'm a Machinist, though sometimes I even doubt that, so these finer points of Single Shot Rifles elude me.   Lips Sealed. David

IP Logged

1isenough

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
David,

A couple of more thoughts.  First, regarding the loose barrel fit, I have had good luck wrapping a turn or two of cotton thread around the tenon to get a tighter fit.  Not around the threads, but right at the end where the tenon relief meets the receiver.  Works pretty well for me, for loose fit or over-index issues.   

Second, be sure you know which type of barrel tenon you have - small or large.  I believe most versions with the flat spring like yours have a small tenon.  The Winder version has a large tenons, like the high wall.  Once you know which tenon you have, you can check ebay.  You may find a caliber you would like to try, or a better fitting barrel to line.  I have a low wall Winder and I have picked up several large tenon 22 short barrels that I have lined in 25-20 WCF, 32-20 WCF and 357 Magnum.   

Great little rifle.  Good luck with yours.

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Or get you a good barrel blank and do one yourself. I bought an air gaged Douglas 30 cal machined it half octagon/round and with the help of one of our other members chambered it in 30-30 wesson (necked down 357 max case) Fun and cheap to shoot except for the dies. But after you get dies it is fun to play with.Or 38 Ballard xlong etc. Loaded down 357 Max case. You have options my friend. Good luck......

JMH

IP Logged

desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Some of the winders will respond decently well to heat-treating as they are approximately 1522 alloy. Mine is ser no 133xxx. If yours happens to be mild steel i.e 1008 then all you can do is case it. I520 with a decent case and quench in oil should be a pretty tough action, but still needs to be respected as a low-wall. 
In my opinion they are among the most graceful of the single shots. I have no idea when the change over to the high Mn steel occurred. Or even then if is was consistently 15xx steel from a given ser no on. 
Anyway enjoy it. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint