Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hunting in the early 1870s (Read 9606 times)
oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Hunting in the early 1870s
Oct 14th, 2019 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Just started reading an interesting book called Sporting Adventures in the Far West by John Mortimer Murphy published in London in 1879. The book recounts Murphy's adventures hunting and observing nature in our West over a period of 7 years. Included are grizzly bears, black bears, cougars, gray wolves, prairie wolves, buffalo, moose, Wapiti (elk), mule deer, black tailed deer, white tailed deer, pronghorn, Rocky Mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and a host of smaller animals. Being a Brit, of course he mentions express doubles (and uses Brit spelling) but says that the Winchester (1873 I would guess) is quite handy and good for the second shot but had jammed on him enough times to make it questionable for constant use. He says it has recently been improved (1876 my guess). He then says, my emphasis added "THE MOST EFFECTIVE WEAPON THAT I EVER USED WAS A 50 CALIBRE SPRINGFIELD RIFLE WHICH WAS RESIGHTED SO THAT ITS POINT BLANK RANGE WAS 150 YARDS." He goes on to talk about bullets, including explosive ones which he dismisses as being possibly as dangerous to the carrier as the game, but has a good word in "favour of the hollow bullets" as they are "certainly superior to the solid in making a large wound  and in paralyzing the game." Then he adds "they have the fault of want of very deep penetration unless they are fired at short range and with high charges of powder, one hundred and twenty grains at least being required to give them force enough to kill large animals at a distance of one hundred fifty or two hundred yards." There you have it from an onsite reporter when every day was hunting season.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Hunting in the early 1870s
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 9:17am
Print Post  
In the Cody museum they have Buffalo Bill's actual buffalo rifle.  In terrible condition, it having been traded away at some point and then horribly abused.  What is most interesting in this context is that it's a plain old Springfield, nothing exotic at all.

<div class=

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Sounds like a nice read Chauncey! I'll have to see if I can find a copy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2019 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Mine is a first edition but I see that they have facsimiles on Alibris for $20.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Yes I found both hardbound and paperback copies available at reasonable prices.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Old Soldier
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Cody's rifle was a 50-70 I believe. Plenty of thump there. Custer also had a 50-70, his was a roller.

"White man have very strong Medicine. Shoot today maybeso kill you tomorrow." Esa-Tai Commanche warrior

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2019 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Oct 15th, 2019 at 10:41am:
I'll have to see if I can find a copy.

This work is in the public domain.  If you don't mind reading it online, it's available from google books for free at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
One trick back in that time was to put a primed case in the chamber, then pour a load of powder bigger than the case could hold down the muzzle and seat a bullet on top of it, muzzleloader fashion.

But OTOH exaggeration (putting it politely) in the hunting and shooting press wasn't invented by Elmer, he was just carrying on a fine old tradition.

<div class=

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
But remember, he was a Brit and was probably referencing express loads he was familiar with. He didn't have one of those with him on the frontier. He certainly didn't have hollow point 50-70 ammo with him.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
While exaggeration wouldn't surprise me, out west thing are wide open. Five hundred yards is a long shot, but some folks may have been used to lobbing a lot of lead at extended ranges. They may not have thought it was practical to work the wind and do a half day sneak on one bedded animal. Maybe?

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 12:07am
Print Post  
When I read the paragraph I had assumed he was making a general statement about the exploding projectiles and not saying he was using 120gr of powder in the 50-70. Until i read the above comments I hadnt thought the statement odd. On the subject of Elmer Keith I tend to believe that he understated his exploits rather then embellished.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Hell, he was there!

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 12:33am
Print Post  
I would agree with Zack T, I met the man, and spoke with him at length. In my estimation, the man was the real deal, and then some. But, I must admit, I wanted to grab his hat and make a run for it!!!!!!, but thought better of it, as I figured he would let me get out there, four to five hundred yards, and then lay me out with his 44 Magnum Smith & Wesson. Even I can spin a good yarn. The year 1978, NRA convention, Salt Lake City.  Krag

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 3:54am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Jan 8th, 2020 at 7:09pm:

And Custer claimed kills over 500 yards.
Was this writer of the period a good story teller proposing a Sporting Adventure fancy tale?
I detect a bit of exaggeration - although I have not yet read the book.
r

Lots of guys tip over rams at 500 meters.  500 yards hitting the real deal instead of steel seems reasonable. 

A cousin's friend in Southern Idaho shot a deer with his .338 Winny Mag at some unknown distance.  My cousin gave up hitting that buck's pal  with his .300 Winny Mag.  He asked his pal where he held to hit the buck.  He said he used the the bottom of the scope for elevation.  Not very responsible or sportsman like in my book.  The deer didn't move when they were shot at.  I doubt if they heard the shots  Shocked

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2020 at 4:01am by Schuetzenmiester »  

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

rodneys
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 9:05am
Print Post  
yeah but as I understand it he was not shooting at a individual amimal at those distances but what we call flock shooting. and or course no mention of his misses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint