Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rolling Block conversion to .223 (Read 14812 times)
RB Maker
Participating Member

Rolling Block conversion to .223
Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
New to the forum , saw a 2017 post on questions of converting a Rem Rolling Block to a .223 caliber
Before hand I apologize to all for the concept and I didn’t know all the “issues” ahead
First let me say I have been non professional smith guns for a long time and maybe to my discredit a mechinal engineer with metallurgy background
That said and certainly to the RB purists this is probably sacrilegious 
I did create a working RB in .223
Used a Tippmann Armory receiver, a Green Mountain /5” barrel machined to a tapered octagonal shape
First issue was to modify the bottom center extractor for the rimless .223 case
Tippmann sends a .357 extractor but it is too short, so welded to length and filed to fit
Next bigger issue is the tolerance of the rolling block mechanism just does not lend it’s self to a short high tapper case as proved in the actual firing
The chamber was head spaced to go no go gauges and round chambers ok
But on firing the vet slight clearance of the breech roller to the hammer roller is just enough to cause the shell move back a very few thousands and caused case separation
The only way I solved this was to make a stepped button on the breech face that had a .003 step pressing on the case head
This solved the case rapture
Also had to make this button any way as the original firing pin was way to big and repaired the primers
Made a smaller go and hole in the button to match
So far this has worked have 100 plus rounds thru it
Materials for the barrel and receiver are rated to 52,000 psi
Will see if long term use holds but definitely a good plunger a shoots a 1.5” group at 100 yd

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rolling Block conversion to .223
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
you can also skydive with a lead parachute Sad   best   art

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I'm an engineer also, and this reminds me of something someone told me a long time ago.  "A smart man can calculate and logically talk himself into doing something very stupid".   

The rolling block action is not suited for a high pressure round.  It showed you that by the case stretch, and you did a work-around that made it even less safe; fixing a symptom, but leaving the original problem in place.  The biggest problem with a rolling block action and higher pressure is that it has no provision for handling gas leaks safely.  It vents right into your face.  Your "button"  made that gap even worse.  It did stop the immediate problem of case separation, but if you have a case separation or primer rupture, it will vent even more easily into the shooters eyes.

There's hundreds of different .223 rifle models out there.  Why would a person have to pick one of the most unsuitable actions to make one on?  If it's just to have a single shot classic .223, Browning and Winchester Miroku high walls are plentiful and easy to find.  I have one and it's an excellent shooter, better than any rolling block would ever be, and this is from a real rolling block lover.

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Figured I’d get flak
It was not case stretch , measured that
No doubt it was head space issue by the breech roller taking up the clearance needed by the hammer roller
And the materials are well suited to handle the “high” pressure which isn’t that much for these steels
Maybe for original stuff

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
I remember a rolling block chambered in 6 PPC for sale at Etna Green years ago, some people just like to play with fire.  Ledball

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Strongest metals made, can't make up for poor geometry. If the pins don't fail, the action cast might.

One thing that can help the thrust on the breech would be to take the taper out of the chamber. You just won't be able to feed that thing as fast as the taper was designed for. 

IP Logged

oldman46
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
It's not what the rifle in question is made of but the design itself. stackable tolerances between the hammer,breech block and both the hammer and breech block pins come into play. Yes the hammer locks the breech block in place upon firing, but at those pressures for which that action was never designed for, sooner or later something will fail. And as ssdave pointed out that action has no gas handling capabilities at all. Everything comes back to the shooter.Frank

IP Logged

RB Maker
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I agree with Oldman that this is not a well suited pairing of case geometry and the mechanical tolerances of the rollers
I just trying to make the issues known for anyone else doing something like this
It was said that either me and or the idea was stupid and in some respects I agree but not for the reasons stated
Seems those that haven’t tried can offer negatives based on their on perspectives and believe others can’t do this
I get it but for those taking the conservative approach can make this work safely
If you do this take heed from experienced hand as seen here it is not the best setup
So I have what appears to be the only RB in the world in .223
Enough said

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 7:41am
Print Post  
I think I can picture what a stepped button looks like. If the action can close and function with a .003" button, maybe the headspace wasn't measured correctly in the first place? I'm not a fan of the .223 idea, but once a solution was needed to try, why not set the barrel back? I'd worry about the gas handling like others have mentioned. Could be interesting to see a slow motion video of what the action does on firing.

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Read the original post
He refers to a Remington RB BUT,
He is using a TIPPMAN Rolling Block, not an original..looks like a Liability Waiver form has to be signed before they will sell an action..their claim is action will hold 52K

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 9:54am
Print Post  
RB Maker wrote on Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:43am:
I agree with Oldman that this is not a well suited pairing of case geometry and the mechanical tolerances of the rollers
I just trying to make the issues known for anyone else doing something like this
It was said that either me and or the idea was stupid and in some respects I agree but not for the reasons stated
Seems those that haven’t tried can offer negatives based on their on perspectives and believe others can’t do this
I get it but for those taking the conservative approach can make this work safely
If you do this take heed from experienced hand as seen here it is not the best setup
So I have what appears to be the only RB in the world in .223
Enough said

I don't see the logic here? Nothing about this combination could be considered as "taking the conservative approach"? It's anything but conservative.
Just doing something like this doesn't make sense, and it flies in the face of everything written concerning Rolling Block actions and what is acceptable. An old saying comes to mind for me. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should do it."
And I sure hope that nobody else is encouraged to do the same, just based on you doing so.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I would offer the Pedersoli Rolling blocks as an argument. Their rifles are proof tested for sale in Europe.

They do advise against use of 45-70 commercial ammo that exceeds 40,000 psi, but not because of action weakness. Their concern is weak brass separating.

Below are the recommended max pressures for their rifles.

Smokeless Powder Cartridges
Calibers
BAR
CUP – PSI
30-30 Win.

30-40 Krag

38-55 Win.

357 Mag.

45 Colt

45-70 Govt.
29007(*)

8x57 JRS

9,3x74R

The asterisk for 45-70

(*) This pressure is allowable for modern made Pedersoli rifles in 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, -90, -100, -110, -120, 50-70, and 50-90. It may not be safe with other brands of replica arms and those mfrs. must be consulted for their data.

Proof testing is Max plus 30% of commercial ammo. The highest pressure round used by Pedersoli is 357 Mag. and would have close to the same thrust pressure on the breech at 46,412 CUP. as a 223 Remington with a max pressure is listed at 52,000 CUP.

If the rifle was proofed at 46,412 + 30% or 60,000 CUP, then a .223 in a Pedersoli action would cause long term damage but not likely catastrophic failure. 

It's pushing the limits but not necessarily stupid.

Pressure relief is another subject, but at least one member on this board solved that with a drill bit. Pedersoli  may have also addressed that safety concern.

To flatly say the rolling block action can not handle the cartridge is a bit of an over reach, if the action is upgraded correctly. Since the Tippman offers rifles in both 357 and 44 Magnum, it might just be up to the task.

Pedersoli owners manual pages 11/12 are relavent.

Pedersoli proof tests explained.

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
The ability and capability and suitability of an action to handle a cartridge is a lot more than a "can handle xxx psi pressure" question.

Just to start, what cartridge was the 52,000 psi for?  At Least Pedersoli had a pressure for each cartridge size.

Pressure is one factor, case diameter is the other major one.  Barrel/action ring bursting pressure and breech thrust use both factors.  Case shape matters to a lesser extent.

But, the absolute pressure handling capability combined with case size isn't really relevant, when the weak point is the brass case and primer.  Only if the action is designed to overcome limitations in the brass case can the action strength be the controlling factor.

In the case of the rolling block, the lack of rigidity in the breech block headspace dimension makes it susceptible to brass weakness.  And, it has no gas blocking/diverting capabilities to overcome that weakness.  Drilling a hole into the firing pin cavity can help avoid blowing the firing pin back into your brain, but it  doesn't divert any of the leaking gasses from your face and eyes.  That's the major weakness of the rolling block.

I too have anecdotal evidence that a person can survive firing a rolling block with an unsuitable chambering.  I would be willing to bet that I've owned and shot more rolling blocks than 99% of the people that read this.  I've seen several in .22 hornert, .223, .308, .30-06 and similar.  I've owned two rifles that were spectacurally mis-chambered.   

One was a 1905 smokeless action chambered in 7mm STW.  I bought it from the widow of the owner that commissioned it, he died before he picked it up from the gunsmith that built it.  I presume that the gunsmith fired at least one cartridge through it before delivering it.

I also owned a Pedersoli rolling block (one of the early, soft Navy Arms ones with brass triggerguard) that was chambered in .50 Alaskan.  I got detailed loading information from the original owner that built it, that showed about 120 rounds had been sot through it.  All of them heavy, smokeless loads.  Most were in the 50,000 psi range, (not CUP, PSI).  The last 10 were in the 65,000 psi range.  He said that recoil was too much, so he decided to sell it there.   

I did not shoot either; I sold the pedersoli with good information on safe, usable loads, and rebarreled the 7 STW to 7mm mauser.  But, both of them existed as monuments to the fact that a lucky owner can shoot unsuitable chamberings without damage.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I owned a #4 Rolling Block barreled and chambered to .25-35 Win.!!! I bought it to get the action because it was cheap. I was amazed that someone was stupid enough to not just barrel it in .25-35W, but also use the standard method of retaining the barrel. The slip fit with a lever to retain it was just nuts for anything but the original calibers a #4 came in.
My guess was it had never been fired since it wasn't converted to a CF firing pin yet. Guessing whoever "gunsmithed" the #4 got to a point where they finally thought better of their plan and quit. Thank goodness!

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
New to the forum...

This solved the case rupture.

Welcome.

It's an interesting project you have. Would setting the barrel back a few thousandths have worked as well, or were other parts of the finished rifle (such as sights) already in place?

You mentioned head separations. Did you film these to see how extensive is the gas blow back towards the face? My .30-40 rolling block scares me a bit, thinking about the consequences of a separation. I'm not getting significant stretching, though, and I do keep the pressures under 35 ksi.

While the 62 ksi of the .223 (European spec ammo) is daunting, there are a number of .22 Hornet rolling blocks out there, and those carry a 49 ksi spec (SAAMI) in relatively fragile brass. Uberti sells a No.2 clone in that.

It's certainly not a cartridge I'd have chosen for a No.1, but cheap factory ammo has its appeal. Do keep those safety glasses on.

How was the workmanship on the Tippmann action?

Karl

Karl
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint