Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Optical Peep Sight (Read 16776 times)
ratseye

Optical Peep Sight
Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I know that most guys here must know about this but I just discovered it and I think it will be a great help for my old eyes. It is a Gehmann adjustable iris peep sight but what makes it fantastic is it also has a 1-1/2 power adjustable diopter lens built in. I can't see the front sight anymore much less the target through my regular peeps but this is amazing. I am able to focus everything in and see it crisp and clean. The one I purchased is for a Parker-Hale 7A that is mounted on an old Martini Cadet in 32-20 WCF. Here is a picture of the sight and if it warms up a little I will try to get to the range and shoot it. 

[/img][/img]

IP Logged

sportslube
Oldtimer

Re: Optical Peep Sight
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Do you know the gehmann numbers of the set up?
Bill

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
The adjustable focus of the lens is a great modern improvement, but Tom Martin (pen name "Trim Nat") was making an eyecup for tang sights that held a lens back in the 1880s, I believe. (I have one marked "pat applied for," but no date.)  Of course, the lens had to be ground to the individual shooter's prescription, but that's no more trouble than having shooting glasses made, which is what I use in order to see the front sight clearly. But the sharper the front sight, the blurrier the target, & there's no fix for that...except a scope.

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Sportslube, the Gehmann number is PH-530 which I think is the standard model. Mine came with an adapter for the Parker-Hale base. I bought it through Creedmoor Sports in Alabama. It was special order for that mount but only took about two weeks from Germany. They were very helpful all around and I would buy from them again. 

Redsetter, I knew about the ones from back in the Schuetzen days and that is what sent me looking. I have an implant from an eye injury that keeps me from seeing even with glasses but the combination of focus and iris seems to do the job. It's like I have a teenage eye again. And that is with no prescription glasses.  That's why they call me "ratseye".

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Question:
Is it allowed to have a lense in the rear or front sight when shooting "Iron sight" class in ASSRA and ISSA Schuetzen?
NRA HiPo and probably small bore rules specifically allow a Single lense (no compounds) in front OR rear sight, but not in both front and rear. 
tx
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
I have one of those as well.  I found that the sight picture overall is much better if I use just safety glasses and not my prescription glasses.  You may find a different solution.

Dave

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2018 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 5:16pm:
...................... Of course, the lens had to be ground to the individual shooter's prescription, but that's no more trouble than having shooting glasses made, which is what I use in order to see the front sight clearly. But the sharper the front sight, the blurrier the target, & there's no fix for that...except a scope.

Actually there is another fix, at least for some of us. For many decades my master eye has been only good enough to aline the front and rear sights -- forget about the target. My solution, which goes back to late childhood, is to shoot with both eyes open. Bad right eye aligns front and back sights, normal left eye looks at target and brain melds them into single image. Even worked very well for wingshooting. Worked fine for me until recent years, when ability to meld vision from both eyes has become a sometimes thing. 

But, my best fix is scopes off-set for use with left eye. Or just to shoot revolvers and use left eye.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 12:32am
Print Post  

Is it allowed to have a lense in the rear or front sight when shooting "Iron sight" class in ASSRA and ISSA Schuetzen?

Yes you are allowed to have a diopter lens in either the front or rear; but not in both, because that would be making it a telescope.

With the adjustable diopter you can focus so both the front sight and the target are sharp.

However you are better to back the focus off so the front sight is sharp but the target is not as sharp.

This forces your eye to continue to concentrate on centering the target; as opposed to focusing back and forth from the front sight and the target.

This slight out of focus adjustment will cut your group sizes to a third the size.

Advice provided to me by Lones Wigger; former  top US shooter, former Olympic Coach and only shooter in the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame as well as a member of the USA Shooting Hall of Fame .

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:51pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:40am
Print Post  
I had given up shooting competition with iron sights and all my serious rifles are scoped. I shoot with both eyes even scoped but it doesn't help all that much anymore. It is better with this sight and just safety glasses than with prescriptions. I think the big help will be in load development. I think I can shoot something that looks like a group now. I'll report as soon as I can get to the range. Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 10:44am
Print Post  
ratseye wrote on Nov 24th, 2018 at 7:40am:
I think I can shoot something that looks like a group now.  ratseye 

You are not alone! Cry

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:00am
Print Post  
svartkruttgris#369 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2018 at 11:24pm:
My solution, which goes back to late childhood, is to shoot with both eyes open. Bad right eye aligns front and back sights, normal left eye looks at target and brain melds them into single image. Even worked very well for wingshooting. Worked fine for me until recent years, when ability to meld vision from both eyes has become a sometimes thing. 

"Worked fine for me until recent years."  Recent years--that's the problem.  Shot with both eyes open for decades, after training myself to do it with a pistol; now...the aggravation of trying is just too great.  In fact, I must resort to wearing an eye patch.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:11am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Nov 24th, 2018 at 12:32am:
With the diopter you can focus so both the front sight and the target are sharp.

Don't see how that's optically possible, though if the muscles controlling the eye's lens are flexible enough (i.e., young enough), the illusion of sharp focus can be created by the eye's rapid re-focusing between front sight & target.

But as you pointed out, a slightly blurred target can be advantageous for aiming. 

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  
[quote author=645352455342425344360 link=1543005715/10#10 date=1543075259

"Worked fine for me until recent years."  Recent years--that's the problem.  Shot with both eyes open for decades, after training myself to do it with a pistol; now...the aggravation of trying is just too great.  In fact, I must resort to wearing an eye patch.
[/quote]

To my surprise, after losing ability to shoot with both eyes open some years ago, I got it back recently to a usefully degree with rifles that have enough drop in stock to allow holding head much more vertical and facing forward, at least offhand or from some rested positions. Do that as deliberate SOP now with revolvers. Have not gotten back to anything consistently satisfactory for wingshooting.

Found out that gunsmith I use had to go to positions and rifles that allowed quite vertical, facing forward, head position to get back a large measure of his previous abilities.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Retired Ex-Shooter

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Don't see how that's optically possible

It will be very obvious if you ever try it by playing with an adjustable diopter.
Maybe someone can lend you one and you can test it.

I have been using a Gehmann adjustable iris c/w an adjustable diopter since 2005.

Using it I was the International Schuetzen Benchrest Champion even though I had cataracts at the time.

I have an adjustable diopter with my Gehmann adjustable iris with colour filters and dual polarizer.

I also have an adjustable diopter with my Gehmann adjustable iris with only a dual polarizer.

Found adjusting light and focusing with the adjustable diopter was all I needed to improve my declining eyesight that comes with age.

I no longer use the colour filters or the polarizer.

The big knob closest to the sight is for adjusting the diopter.

I watch the wind with my left eye and sight with my right eye - so I always have both eyes open.

I have always mounted my sights high so my head is vertical and I always have the same Point of Aim.

As we age and macular degeneration occurs; we may need to adjust how we look through the sights to use the best part of our eyesight that remains.
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2018 at 3:53pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

ratseye

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Dave, I saw those you mention with all the bells and whistles but bought the basic one because I had no idea as to how effective it would be. Now that I see the improvement I have to ask, are the other features worth the money? Since you can pick and chose, which give the most additional help and which not so much? Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint