Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1885 Oct-Round barel (Read 4926 times)
OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Re: 1885 Oct-Round barel
Reply #15 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 11:00pm
Print Post  
You know marlinguy I have often wondered about that. The early Ballard Long Range Ballard's were/are definitely different than the later ones. Clear straight Grain wood and little or no Engraving not like the later one's with High Grade wood and Engraving. And what seemed to me very long Barrels. I had a Mid Range A-1 Ballard and never shot it. The early ones tend to be the rarest as few were made before they started embellishing them. FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 1885 Oct-Round barel
Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Fitz,
I also have one of the few Ballard #7 non engraved Long-Range rifles. Mine seems to have pretty nice wood, but as you noticed it isn't as high end as the later A-1 Long-Range rifle's wood. 
I believe with Marlin taking over Ballard production in 1975 that they were rushing to capitalize on the Creedmoor fever spreading across the US then, so it was faster to get the first #7 guns out without the highly embellished wood and engraving. They quickly dropped the plain #7 Long-Range, they are not often found today.
The plain #4 1/2 Mid-Range is just as rare, as Marlin did the same thing with them and replaced them with the engraved A-1 version pretty quickly.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint