Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) 1885 Oct-Round barel (Read 4925 times)
march41

1885 Oct-Round barel
Aug 25th, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
I am not up on orig Win 1885s.Did they offer oct to round in #5 or #6 on their sporting rifles.I have been trying to find the best books on this rifle.I have a C.Sharps I would like to rebarrel.  Thanks,for any help.Bob. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 1885 Oct-Round barel
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Actually, #5 is the largest "offered" in the catalog (damn few of which were produced), which isn't to say someone insisting on a #6 would not have had his fantasy fulfilled.  (Don't know that such a monster has ever been reported.) No reason, either, to think that the half-round option couldn't be applied on any wt. brl. if the customer paid for it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Serial number 62033 shows in Winchester records as having a 34" number 6 weight barrel, in caliber 32-40 and weighing 15 1/2 lbs.!! Shipped Dec. 7, 1893.
According to Madis' The Winchester Book, he examined a #7 weight.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Val I believe there was a barrel recorded from the factory being even larger. I just need to figure out where I read it and I do have both of the Winchester Books.

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

march41

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2018 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
The rifle I have now is an #4 30" full oct.Rifle without sights is 11.2lbs.I want it a bit weighter for bench shooting. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:57am
Print Post  
I had a High Wall in .22 Short with a 30" #4 weight full octagon barrel. That was a tank, but it sure did shoot well!

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Bob I think that one of Campbell's books has a picture of a #6 barrel.   I haven't seen a #5 or #6 in half octagon. 

I have two non-original rifles with #5 octagonal barrels.  One built by C. Sharps in .45-2.6" and another built by Steven Durren in .38-55.

The #5 barrel definitely adds some weight, but not as much as you might think.  My C. Sharps 1885 has a 32" #5 barrel and extra fancy wood and it's still under 13 lbs.

Chris.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
I have a 1885 with a #5 full Octagon barrel 32" Long. The Receiver looks to have had the inside lip modified so the Octagon corners would clear. It is a Blued Rifle and I have not removed the Forend to examine it closely. It is a 38-55 with as far as I can see a bright Shiny perfect bore. I have not shot it but have plans to when I cannot heft a Rifle this heavy and wish to shoot from the Bench. Regards, FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
OLD TUCK wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:23pm:
It is a Blued Rifle and I have not removed the Forend to examine it closely.

Jeez, how could you not...with something as (apparently) rare as this?

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
redsetter, well let me tell you of an experience curve. My first really nice Schuetzen is a Hi Wall in 38-55 with a #4 full Octagon barrel. In my excitement to look it all over I wanted the Forend off. Deluxe Checkered. Removed the Screw and 
tried to pull it off. It was stuck, grasped it tightly and pulled. It came off and the Forend collapsed in my fingers. Bunch of Fancy Checkered splinters. Been really conservative ever since. I still have over 40 years later pieces of the Forend. Used it a few years ago to have another one I bought repaired. 
It had a piece split out at the tip. Gave both of them to a guy that does really nice wood work. He sliced out a piece from my old one and fitted it into the new one so well you cannot see the repair on the outside. You can see it on the inside. SOoooo! when I need to see what has been done for the #5 to clear I MIGHT? try to remove the Forend  I was young and working as a Toolmaker Machinist. Hands were strong. Have learned to handle Fancy wood very carefully. Regards, FITZ.
OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
OLD TUCK wrote on Aug 27th, 2018 at 11:08am:
redsetter, well let me tell you of an experience curve. My first really nice Schuetzen is a Hi Wall in 38-55 with a #4 full Octagon barrel. In my excitement to look it all over I wanted the Forend off. Deluxe Checkered. Removed the Screw and 
tried to pull it off. It was stuck, grasped it tightly and pulled. It came off and the Forend collapsed in my fingers. Bunch of Fancy Checkered splinters. Been really conservative ever since. I still have over 40 years later pieces of the Forend. Used it a few years ago to have another one I bought repaired. 
It had a piece split out at the tip. Gave both of them to a guy that does really nice wood work. He sliced out a piece from my old one and fitted it into the new one so well you cannot see the repair on the outside. You can see it on the inside. SOoooo! when I need to see what has been done for the #5 to clear I MIGHT? try to remove the Forend  I was young and working as a Toolmaker Machinist. Hands were strong. Have learned to handle Fancy wood very carefully. Regards, FITZ.
OLD TUCK. Smiley

Well, with that sad experience, I understand your reluctance.  What I'm reluctant to do, unless there's some really critical reason for doing so, is remove a buttstock on any action with long tangs, because of the way old, oxidized, oil can "glue" the metal to the wood, & cause splinters to tear out as the two are separated.  If I've got to do it, & it seems obvious the stock probably hasn't been off since the gun was built, I tap repeatedly on a block of wood held against the side of the wrist until I see some evidence that the wood is loosening its grip on the metal.

Do the same with forearms, & luckily never had problems with one of them being stuck.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2018 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
One thing I have come to understand is that Wood not on an Action or Barrel will shrink over time. I have had  Octagon Forend's that do not want to go back onto the Barrel they came off of. Same thing with Butt Stocks. so now I try to keep them on where they came from if I can. Not necessarily bolted up tight but in place about 90%. FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
The grain or quality of the wood can have a big affect also. Very high end presentation grade wood, with lots of good looking burl, can be very fragile. It can suddenly pop or crack with no apparent harm done to the stocks. I've seen quite a few beautiful old stocks that cracked along the figure in the wood, and although they can be fixed, it's tough to fix them and not have the repair show. 
There's a reason a lot of old shooters preferred very plain, straight grained wood. It's was very stable, and less likely to have issues. Not pretty, but pretty doesn't necessarily relate to shooting well.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Yes, marlinguy. That is why the Sharps Rifle Co. preferred to use English Walnut for their Long Range Rifles. The English knew the History of the Wood they sold. From when and where
it was cut, and it's Drying time. Sharps felt it was the most reliable Wood available at the time. Not sure about other makers at the time but Sharps specifically called it out in their literature. I have 2 1/2 Sharps Long Range Rifles. The original wood is nearly perfect with respect to splits or cracks. the 1/2 rifle is a rifle I bought at Auction because it was all Long Range from the Face of the receiver to the Butt Plate. But had been 
Re Barreled to a .219 Improved Zipper. I had an Original Sharps barrel in .45 X 2 4/10 with a bright Shiny Bore. So mounted it. Have an Original Long Range Fore End with that wedge mount have yet to make up the stuff I need to have to complete the restoration. Will never fool anyone as the Caliber
is stamped on the Barrel and Long Range Rifles were not. And the English were also wise to the Benefits of Straight Grain Wood. FITZ. OLD TUCK. Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Marlin also use English walnut on some higher end Ballards, and deluxe repeaters too Fitz. But they used some special order American walnut also, and it had that lovely honey color to the deluxe wood.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint