Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle .44 rimfire (Read 19784 times)
GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ball & Williams Ballard sporting rifle .44 rimfire
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Vall,
It appears to have been a nickle finish at one time and the age old question is do I refinish it with nickle or leave it be... It can be stripped but there's a lot of rusting and a couple of blisters, the lettering is faint already so there won't be any polishing - I don't want to restore it, just less maturity. (as with all guns I own, it will be used but not abused)  The wood has some shrinkage and the butt stock isn't original so it doesn't fit real well, a tiny bit of inletting and it should look a little better.  I'll leave the finish on the wood and barrel alone as it has the right amount of "crust" on it.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
As rare as an assumed original nickel finish is on the early ones, I'd carefully clean the receiver but otherwise leave it alone.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the .44 rimfire Ballard club!  I'll have a closer look at mine and see how the bore compares to yours for twist.  Sadly I haven't had a chance to do anything with mine yet, I suffer from the same affliction as many folks on here ... WAY too many projects!  (And I still keep buying more!)  Haven't had a chance to try out the Old West heeled bullet mould yet, it's been way too hot here lately and with the multitude of forest fires we have burning in BC this year we have heavy smoke drifting over to Vancouver Island which really affects my breathing.  It's starting to cool off a bit and we're supposed to be getting a Pacific Ocean wind soon that may help to clear off some of the lingering smoke we have.

On a happier note, I was monitoring another Canadian online auction yesterday and I won another one of these .44 rimfire dual ignition Ballards for a shooting friend of mine!  It is a bit rougher than my example, but hopefully it will be a shooter too.  With two of the same guns needing bullets and ammunition fabricated hopefully the two of us will finally get our rears in gear and cast some bullets and make some more adapter cases and we'll get out to test them at our local range ...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

GT wrote on Aug 25th, 2018 at 8:15pm:
Al,
I've been considering one one of these for for quite a while, Merwin and Bray - Ball and Williams - pushed the button last week and it came in last night.  Mine isn't quite as nice as what you have - needs a little TLC and a couple of pieces made for it the trigger is broke off where it just begins to thin up, nipple is replaced with a plug, and the rear sight is missing but it's a simple project compared to a few of my others.  
I haven't had a lot of time to check it close but it looks to be around a .440 groove diameter (had to bump up a round ball to slug it ) not as good a reading as I like.  Mine is a 5 groove, left hand twist, close to 1:28" with wide lands and narrow grooves, is this close to what yours is?  I'll do chamber cast and double check bore diameter before making a mold... 

Have you shot yours yet, been awaiting a report.   Wink
Thanks for the nudge...
Regards,
Greg

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
PS: I'm wondering if the hole that was drilled through the buttstock was added for a swivel of some kind to use a sling?  I see that a sling stud has been added under the barrel.  Just something else to puzzle over ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
GT wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 11:38am:

It appears to have been a nickle finish at one time and the age old question is do I refinish it with nickle or leave it be... It can be stripped but there's a lot of rusting and a couple of blisters, the lettering is faint already so there won't be any polishing...

Nothing looks worse than a deteriorating nickel finish. (Why is this so common--was the nickel plating just too thin, improper surface preparation, etc.?)  Reverse-electrolysis is the only to strip the nickel without damage to the underlying iron, but if "there's a lot of rusting" already, it might not matter so much, esp. if you've ruled out polishing.

Wish I could remember the name of the metal refinishing outfit in Florida (where crooks of every kind outnumber orange trees) that utterly ruined a nickel-plated Marlin Ballard receiver I sent them by stripping it with acid AFTER promising they used reverse-electrolysis!!!  These rotten bastards advertised in the SS Exchange, & when I told Bret Boyd about it, he said he'd cancel their future ads; it didn't happen, so I wonder how many other guns they destroyed.
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:55pm by Redsetter »  

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
The hole through the wrist apparently houses a metal tube or perhaps a partial "bolt" that's been drilled and tapped.  If the wrist were cracked, I'd vote for the latter as half of a fairly elaborate repair.  But since you didn't mention any crack, I assume whatever it was meant to do, it was not strengthening the wrist.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 2:09pm:
PS: I'm wondering if the hole that was drilled through the buttstock was added for a swivel of some kind to use a sling?  I see that a sling stud has been added under the barrel.  Just something else to puzzle over ...

Could also be as simple as someone made it a wallhanger and did the hole to use as a means to secure it to the wall so it wouldn't be taken down easily, or knocked off.
Saw a few that way, and often one side of the gun's finish on metal and wood is darker than the wall side.

With the lever shape and pin in the frame to align the lever, it appears it might be a Brown Mfg. Ballard?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 5:15pm:
Could also be as simple as someone made it a wallhanger and did the hole to use as a means to secure it to the wall so it wouldn't be taken down easily, or knocked off.

Sounds like something J. M. Davis, founder of the (in)famous Davis Gun Museum in Clairemore, Ok. might have done, as he sure as hell loved "wall-hangers."

But since this relic already has the lug for a swivel installed in the buttstock, drilling the hole for attaching it to the wall makes as much sense as anything else.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  

With the lever shape and pin in the frame to align the lever, it appears it might be a Brown Mfg. Ballard?

Why only Brown?  Earlier makers used the same arrangement.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #24 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Redsetter wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

Yes, but I can't see a tang, and if it has no tangs, it's either Brown or Merrimack; others had top and bottom tangs. And the smaller loop on the lever looks more like the Brown, but could be an earlier Merrimack. And buttplate looks like a Brown, but might be a replacement.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:49pm:
Yes, but I can't see a tang, and if it has no tangs, it's either Brown or Merrimack

Look at the top photo--upper tang is visible.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately the auction house didn't take any photos of the other side of the action so we're not sure of the manufacturer until it arrives, BUT it is only a few hundred serial numbers away from my Ball & Williams Ballard so it MIGHT be the same maker?  Mine is serial #15885 and his is serial #16182, both are dual ignition octagon sporters in .44 rimfire, and both came from the Ontario region so I guess it is possible that these could be two guns out of one lot of guns shipped to a distributor in Canada?  No way to know of course, but it is interesting to speculate ...

marlinguy wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 8:49pm:
Redsetter wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 7:49pm:

Yes, but I can't see a tang, and if it has no tangs, it's either Brown or Merrimack; others had top and bottom tangs. And the smaller loop on the lever looks more like the Brown, but could be an earlier Merrimack. And buttplate looks like a Brown, but might be a replacement.

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #27 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Oh ... and yes, it does have tangs ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Were there period tang sights that mounted in a dovetail instead of being screwed on?  I'm thinking that is why it has the extra dovetail on the rear of the action?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Aug 26th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Reverend Al wrote on Aug 26th, 2018 at 9:47pm:
Were there period tang sights that mounted in a dovetail instead of being screwed on?  I'm thinking that is why it has the extra dovetail on the rear of the action?

YES!  This has--or had--a rare pre-Marlin Ballard tang-sight!  Why the hell would anyone remove it...except to sell separately?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint