Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pope? (Read 1997 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Pope?
Apr 19th, 2021 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
posted on the Schuetzen group on FB

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Re: Pope?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
There are two or three Stevens ad-bearing envelopes that feature the same shooter, in one pose clearly testing a rifle at the factory.  Tradition has long held that the man is Pope, and there's certainly a strong resemblance, plus he isn't the generic figure that appears in other Stevens ads, and typically in other makers' ads, for that matter.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

ledball
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Maybe this is Fred Ross.  Ledball

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
ledball wrote on Apr 19th, 2021 at 8:23pm:
Maybe this is Fred Ross.  Ledball

My thoughts also.  Any comparison in illustrations in Shooting and Fishing or in the Peters .22 rimfire adverts of the same period?

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, none of the three Stevens ad covers show the shooter's full face, so we can't tell whether the shooter has a beard and mustache (Pope, habitually) or just a mustache (Ross).  However, the shooter in the ads is always wearing the same or similar hat to the one here.  That hat - indeed the pose - reminds me very strongly of the photo Schuetzenbob posted here of Ross shooting offhand, post # 21 in the "Fred Ross" thread of "Collecting Single Shot Rifles" on 02/03/2019.  Unfortunately, I'm not computer literate enough to repost that photo.  Nonetheless, I am happy to entertain the possibility, maybe even the high probability, that the shooter under discussion is Ross rather than Pope.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2021 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
MrTipUp wrote on Apr 19th, 2021 at 10:34pm:
Unfortunately, none of the three Stevens ad covers show the shooter's full face, so we can't tell whether the shooter has a beard and mustache (Pope, habitually) or just a mustache (Ross).  However, the shooter in the ads is always wearing the same or similar hat to the one here.  That hat - indeed the pose - reminds me very strongly of the photo Schuetzenbob posted here of Ross shooting offhand, post # 21 in the "Fred Ross" thread of "Collecting Single Shot Rifles" on 02/03/2019.  Unfortunately, I'm not computer literate enough to repost that photo.  Nonetheless, I am happy to entertain the possibility, maybe even the high probability, that the shooter under discussion is Ross rather than Pope.

Bill Lawrence

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Ross is shooting off his fingertips and doesn't have a high combed stock. Different from the original pic.

IP Logged

MrTipUp
Frequent Elocutionist

Quality is to a product
what character is to
a man

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 10:21am
Print Post  
And why does that matter?  Don't forget that the envelope's main purpose is an advertisement for Stevens products.  Second, who says Mr. Ross only shot one rifle and in only one way?

Also, for what it's worth, should you ever attempt to buy a nice example of one of the aforementioned envelopes, be prepared for severe sticker shock.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2021 at 10:25am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Apr 20th, 2021 at 1:09am:
Ross is shooting off his fingertips and doesn't have a high combed stock. Different from the original pic.

Ross is also shooting his Ballard in that picture. But later being a Stevens employee in the barrel shop he did shoot Stevens rifles.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint