Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winchester 85 Low Wall 32 WCF at auction ??? (Read 5843 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Winchester 85 Low Wall 32 WCF at auction ???
Reply #15 - May 4th, 2018 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Just pondering why you are looking to buy old guns and rechamber or change calibers on them? Seems kinda odd to buy good guns and then ruin them. You'd be better off buying guns with issues, or already reworked and make them what you want if you have the urge to change them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #16 - May 4th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
      Hello Marlinguy et. al.:

I am quite ignorant about old SS rifles.  For some bizzare reason, they get my attention.   

The local auction that I am referring to charages NO buyers charges, only state sales tax, 6%. 

The gun auction prices in this area are quite soft. There are very few hunters or target shooters in this area.   

I did fail to remember the case dimenions on the 40-70.  Isn't old age great?

I did buy an 85 in 32-40 in very good condition several years ago but due to loss of vision for three years, I have no fired it.  It is a very nice 85 and I have a ton of brass and factory loads for it.  I also reloaded some cast bullets but have not shot them.  I have about 10 rifles that I have not fired! Must get to this task. Lol  I just hope that my vision will permit me to use iron signts.  If not, there is no sense in keeping thes old rifles. So Sad!

Thanks for the replies, 

zeke

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - May 4th, 2018 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
zeke wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 10:24am:
  I just hope that my vision will permit me to use iron signts.  If not, there is no sense in keeping thes old rifles. So Sad!

That would be sad, and believe me I know about declining visual acuity. However, it's possible to keep shooting iron sights with some degree of impairment, if you substitute an aperture front sight (like a Lyman 17a) for a blade or bead.  Assuming use of a tang sight too, of course. The target can be remarkably hazy, but if centered in the front aperture, you'll probably hit it. With the shooting glasses I use, focused for the distance of the front sight, my target at 100 yds is just a big blur, but I usually hit it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint