Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winchester 85 Low Wall 32 WCF at auction ??? (Read 5844 times)
zeke

Winchester 85 Low Wall 32 WCF at auction ???
May 3rd, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
      Hello again:

At the same auction Sunday, there is a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in 32 WCF to be auctioned.

The rifle has a 28" barrel, a curved buttplate and the sights are blade front an V notch a rear that is on the barrel I have not seen the bore but the wood and metal shows some age/wear/neglect.  The metal has a dull mottled appearence that looks like it may not be too bad.  Let's say, pre rust pitting.  The wood has been slathered with varnish in the past and now cries our for a refinish.

A low wall in 30 WCF??? 

Again, what would be a fair amount to bid on this rifle?

Tia,

zeke

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester 85 Low Wall 32 WCF at auction ???
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
That's a worse idea than your other one. Way too much cartridge for a low wall. Yer fu..., uh.... messing with us here?

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
zeke wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 5:54pm:
      A low wall in 30 WCF??? 

You mean rechamber it?  .308 bullets in a .312 bore?  Well, that's one way to reduce pressure!  Gas cutting around the bullet would be awesome.

IP Logged

zeke

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
     Hello:

The gun is samped Winchester 32 WCF on the flat on the top of the action.

No, I have not been messing with you!  I would really like to meet somebody who could teach me about the older rifles. There are usually an expert in attendance for just about every type of firearm.  All on has to do is to find them and then convince them to share their knowledge.

Be well,

zeke

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
32WCF is 32-20, can be chambered in small revolvers also.
30WCF is 30-30, a much larger cartridge and considered too much for an original low wall.
Plenty of folks here will help you, but we need more info to help.
Pics would help us for value too.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Zeke, 
If it will help you any, back in Jan I sold an antique
Win Low Wall , cal 25 wcf (as in 25-20 ss) for $1000
with about 80 pieces of brass worth maybe $100.
It was Nice exterior, some light spots on otherwise lots of blue on barrel, good shootable,but not real shiny bore.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Well, the .32 wcf is an ordinary round in a low wall. If it's in good shape, it'll be a fun gun. I'm not thrilled by that round, but many love it. 
Now the .30 that you talk of is also what most call the .30-30, and is pretty potent for that smaller action. We argue here about whether the .32-40 is an acceptable thing in this little rifle. But the .30-30 is a lot more pressure and well beyond anything the factory ever offered. Don't do it. Your face and fingers will thank you. The guy at the next bench, too. 
You should get some reading done. Books are best, internet is useful if you trust it. Be glad you found me, I'm honest  Roll Eyes.Good luck. Me, I'd buy that .40-70 if I could foot the bill.
(wow, once again, while I was typing, you guys all came in and told the same as I was doing- do I type slow or what?)

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
what. Grin
Aaron
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2018 at 8:26pm by Rebel »  

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
zeke wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 5:54pm:

Again, what would be a fair amount to bid on this rifle?

No original finish on metal, wood requires refinishing, unknown bore cond., cartridge not excessively popular, no options. Not above $700 if you really want it, & I think $600 would be a whole lot more palatable.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
sounds about right.
Careful on those auctions, by the time you pay 20-25% fee and shipping, and maybe FFL fees from your guy, that $600 quickly becomes $800.
Some auction houses don't have their own FFL, and some ship through a service, that can be even more $'s.
32-20 is fun to shoot. If it's to keep, go on, but if you're thinking of resale, there's no margin.

Aaron

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2018 at 8:28pm by Rebel »  

IP Logged

George Babits
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
I disagree on $600.  That would be a really good price in a 32-20 with a decent bore and sights.  I recently bought a nice LoWall in 32-20 for $800 and think that was about the right price.  The 32-20 is a great little cartridge for plinking and small game.  You can shoot it for about the same price as 22 LR.  Several years ago I grabbed a 25-20 SS LoWall at a gun show for $450.  That was missing the front sight and one of the trigger plate screws, but still a very low price.  The bore is dark,  but it shoots great.  Don't believe prices you see on this reflector.  Most of the people here are un-reconstructed tightwads, myself included!

George

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Really hard to talk value with the tiny bit of info from the OP.
So a low(er) evaluation seems safe.
Once again, $600 from an auction is about what you paid, figuring all the fees.
Aaron
I bought a 98% BSA International MKII at auction last month for $600, going to end up costing me $800
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2018 at 11:12pm by Rebel »  

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
George Babits wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 9:05pm:
I recently bought a nice LoWall in 32-20 for $800 and think that was about the right price.

Maybe it was; but would you call the gun in question "nice"?  If so, what's "mediocre"?

IP Logged

only1shot

Reply #13 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:49am
Print Post  
  Hi all:
I bought a Low Wall last year from a dealer on Guns International. It was originally a 32 rimfire that was re-lined to .32-20.
The receiver was re-color case hardened as was the buttplate. The #1 octagon barrel was re-blued and there is a Lyman tang sight installed.
The dealer didn't know what caliber it was (he thought it was a 32 long colt). The butt stock and forend were refinished.
I ended up with the winning bid of $975.00. Mine was the only bid. The rifle was manufactured in 1894, so there was no FFL paper work to contend with and only $25.00 shipping cost.
For $1000.00, I ended up with a new/old Low Wall. The action is nice and tight and the barrel liner is not visible from the muzzle end.
I think the main reason for no one else bidding on the rifle was the serial number.
The first three digits are 666, a true DEVIL rifle! I looked at lots of Low Walls on auction sites and most for under $1000.00 were very rough and with poor bores.
I figured with all the work done on this Low Wall, this was a great deal. Most important, I am really happy with my Low Wall.

Keep them all in the x-ring,
         Bill.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 4th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
only1shot wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 8:49am:
 I think the main reason for no one else bidding on the rifle was the serial number.
The first three digits are 666, a true DEVIL rifle!

So, completely refinished from stem to stern had nothing to do with it, combined with the dealer's stupid error in the caliber?  I should think a 2nd yr. production gun would have brought a premium, especially if the ser. no. was something memorable, like "3 of a kind," because I know that many Winchester collectors are absolutely queer for unique ser. nos.   That is, on guns in original cond. 

Being "completely happy" is naturally for you the most important consideration, but there's generally a good reason (which doesn't include idiotic superstitions!) when an auction item attracts only one bid.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint