Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Winchester 1885 and Unertl 15x Uv mounting w/o d (Read 10302 times)
Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester 1885 and Unertl 15x Uv mounting w/o d
Reply #30 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 12:27am
Print Post  
Rebel wrote on Feb 22nd, 2018 at 11:03pm:
Take your last cheap shot.

Thanks for the invite, & here it is: turning an interesting & useful discussion into an asinine travesty is my definition of "bad for the forum."

IP Logged

BudHyett

Reply #31 - Feb 26th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Any action taken with epoxy will require a very clean surface for effective bonding. As several replies have noted, the cleaning and surface treatment will show as a different spot from the rest of the barrel. 

Before the days of true pistols scopes , a project to bond a Weaver K4 with a Litschert Long Eye Relief adaptor to a Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine required us to remove all the blueing. This was a noticeable bright spot. And, after several cylinders of full- house loads, the scope popped off the barrel. 

Despite the added cost, consider a new barrel for shooting since you can set it up as you want. When done, you can reinstall the original barrel. The cost of a new barrel and installation will probably be equivalent to a custom scope mount solution.

Country boy from Illinois living in the magical Pacific Northwest
IP Logged

pmcfall
Senior Forum Member

Reply #32 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
I've glassed the bar with scope bases on several rifles.  Only takes degreasing, no harm to bluing.  Never had one come off, however, the largest caliber I used in this arrangement was a 38-55.  I think the application on pistol is in a whole 'nother thing.
Phil

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 10:47am
Print Post  
pmcfall wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 9:47am:
  I think the application on pistol is in a whole 'nother thing.
Phil

Certainly is on high-power handguns--just to prevent the scope from sliding in the rings requires an extra ring and/or rosin, Locktite, etc., inside the rings.  However, an epoxied mount has stayed on a Ruger .22 I have for over 30 yrs.  Not that I've used it a great deal--quickly found that even a 2.5X scope was too jittery except from a rest.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint