Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 32-40 Rolling Block & whitetail doe (Read 4806 times)
singleshotsam
Oldtimer

32-40 Rolling Block & whitetail doe
Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Took this nice doe last season with a Remington #1 1/2 rolling block. The rifle started out a a 32 rim fire, converted the block to center fire and rebuilt the action along with new precision axle pins. Also trued the face of the receiver and breech block. My old friend Al Story of BRCO gave me one of his 32 caliber blanks, after having CPA machine it octagon to match the original barrel contour it was fitted to the action and chambered in 32-40 M&B. There was not time to finish the exterior of the barrel prior to the hunt and I plan to leave everything else original. A Unertl Small Game 3X was mounted and loads tested. I have not found the cast load it likes yet but the Hornady FTX 165 grain intended for the 32 Special gives me 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Turns out accuracy was not a concern, this doe and two other came by my stand at 40 yards and offered a perfect broadside shot. The FTX performed perfectly. Meat in the freezer.

SSS 

right click on "open link in new tab" to reduce size and upright photo
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:13am by singleshotsam »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: 32-40 Rolling Block & whitetail doe
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I like Rolling Blocks, and the slightly smaller #1 1/2 is a real favorite! They don't show up often though!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Flatlander
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Gotta love them rollers!!!! They do get the job done.

Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
SSS,

How well do you like the strap on cheek piece? I have a 45-70 RB I built that needs some help in that regard.

JS

IP Logged

singleshotsam
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:56am
Print Post  
JS,
I actually prefer the leather add on cheek piece available at Shiloh but it is not as tall. When using a scope with stock with considerable drop it is not high enough for me and the nylon one shown from Springfield Armory for the M1A comes with 3 inserts allowing the shooter to adjust for scope height and personal preference.

SSS

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
The leather one from Shilo definitely looks better. BACO sells a leather one but I'd need to call them to get an idea of the hight.

JS

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Check out this custom maker (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) He makes them to your specs.

I have two comb riser units that he made, one for original Win Low Wall and one for modern Win High Wall, both for scope use. Both continue to give excellent service. I also use them on modern turnbolt hunting rifles. I now use them slightly rotated to provide better cheek support with offset scopes (left eye, right shoulder).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint