Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Caribou on Adak (Read 5404 times)
Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Caribou on Adak
Oct 29th, 2017 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
In another lifetime, I was invited to go on a caribou hunt on Adak. Adak, site of a former USAF base 1200 miles from Anchorage, Alaska. In its day, the base probably supported 6000 military and their families. Modern barracks, duplexes and triplexes, a fine school with swimming pool and weight rooms; fire stations and even a McDonalds. The year round population today is under 200. No more quarter pounders with cheese. 

Allegedly the military introduced the caribou as an emergency food source as well as a recreational opportunity for residents. No natural predators on that island. Only the caribou, rats (didn’t see any) and maybe a few foxes left. It’s a surprisingly lush place and the ‘bou thrive. 

With a friend and his two daughters, we boarded a commercial flight out of Anchorage on Thursday with the intent of returning on Sunday. Alaska Airlines flies out there those two days each week. If the weather is OK they land. 

We chartered a boat to take us about an hour down the coast, pitched a couple tents and watched caribou wander around up the mountains about at cloud level as we ate supper. 

Friday we hiked up. A long way up for an old guy with a bad hip.  I watched with her younger sister as Amanda and her dad hiked higher and her effort was rewarded with one shot. 

Saturday as we finished breakfast I told them I was going to hang out in the lower regions and wished them luck.  Figured I’d find a sunny spot out of the breeze and soak in the tranquility. As I peeked over the second or third ridge I spotted a caribou with the same idea.  Quickly dropping back, I got out of my pack and adjusted the Baldwin mid-range for a hundred yards hoping the caribou had not moved too far off during my preparations. He stood wary staring right at my position as I poked the old Pacific in his direction. The .45-70 BP load still does fine. 

It was pretty overcast on Sunday as we drove around with our host awaiting (hopefully) our flight. We could hear it circling as he stopped to chat with a guy sitting in his truck on a hill overlooking the airport. Getting back in the vehicle he told us we had to get to the airport as the guy told him the plane was going to be landing right away. I was curious how a guy in his truck on a hill would know that. Our host said that guy is the air traffic controller.  He’d looked at the overcast and radioed the plane that it was safe to land. So when you hear “We’ve been cleared for landing,” you’ll know.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Caribou on Adak
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Nice boo and a great rifle to take it with.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
Very cool story! Love the gun, and I'd love to hunt caribou some day too! That's a nice one!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
That Ballard is almost as nice as a Farrow.
Lee

IP Logged

Statesrights
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 7:24am
Print Post  
And a lot heavier to pack uphill.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
That's a nice story and a nice bull. How did it do in the skillet? I've had some caribou that was excellent and some that wasn't. I flew to Alaska in '75 to hunt with my wife's uncles and cousins. By the time I got some meat back to Oregon I figured it was about $400 a pound. It was a good thing it was some good meat.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint