Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic White Tail And Rifle That Got Me Started (Read 3872 times)
Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

White Tail And Rifle That Got Me Started
Oct 27th, 2017 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
About 16-18 yrs ago, I wanted to get into blackpowder hunting as using a .270 from a deer stand, the shots tend to be a little easy. I saw this original Sharps at a firearms show and thought this would be something fun to hunt with. It is a parts gun but in excellent shape.  A true 69' action with an earlier lockplate with a newer barrel.  The barrel was probably a Remington with 7 grooves that they sold in the 1890's. It was in 45 2 1/10th but I had to have the rim cut a little deeper as it would not close on a modern 45-70 case.  That rifle purchase got me into BPCR and now schuetzen.
This little guy came through the brush fairly fast so I gave a little grunt and he stopped right where I could get a decent shot.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: White Tail And Rifle That Got Me Started
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Unfortunatly I did not get into Cast Bullet shooting until my hunting partner passed and it is only on a competitive level. All though I have taken a nice Colo. Mule Deer Buck and a nice Ca. Wild Pig with my Ruger 1B in 6MM Rem I just don't consider it to be the same as what you good folks have accomplished with cast bullets. I am also amazed at how many tree stands are being used accross the country. Out this way when hunting in Ca. I have always hunted Deer in open country and it always being above the Timber Line so I find it too to be quite interesting.

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:07am
Print Post  
John, next weekend about a half a million Minnesotans will take to the woods. Most will be in the north half of the state hunting from tree stands but in the south it will be huntIing with shotguns and slug in the open areas.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Good looking Sharps! Sure doesn't look like most parts guns, and appears it shoots well!

Same here in Oregon as far as tree stands go. Even in wooded areas I never see anyone using a tree stand. Always thought it was a Midwest or Eastern thing.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Mizura
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Old Win,
Nice deer you have there young man!

Jim

two wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1