Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mule deer with a Ballard Union Hill (Read 7921 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Mule deer with a Ballard Union Hill
Oct 25th, 2017 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
About 10 years ago I decided to start hunting with my old Ballard rifles. The first choice was my Union Hill in .38-55 because it had always provided such great groups at the range. Of course opening up my gun case in camp provided more chuckles and puzzled looks, but I'd sighted it in with 255 gr. cast bullets and consistently hit the 8" 150 yd. dinger at my range, and felt comfortable it would bring down a buck if I had the opportunity at a shot.
The area we hunted was open rolling hills, so shots at 150 yds. are deemed close shots, as often it's tough to get closer with no cover except terrain. Opening morning we headed up to the ridge top and my brother and nephew headed East, while I headed West with my niece's husband to check a draw I'd taken deer from previously.
We approached the draw cautiously, as the gentle slope is thee only cover, and you can't move more than about 5-10 steps without checking the draw for deer, or they'll see you first and bolt. We continued over the edge until we thought we were close to seeing the bottom, but no deer were spotted. I suggested we sit down and watch the draw in case something was farther down, or something might enter as we watched. Barely got sat down when does began to exit the draw on the opposite side! It seems we weren't far enough over the edge to see the bottom, and as we watched we saw about 14 does slowly move up and over the ridge on the other side.
When the last doe had moved out, my hunting partner put his scoped bolt rifle down and said, "Well I guess we should head out?"
As soon as he mentioned leaving I caught a glimpse of movement coming up from the draw, and saw a pretty nice buck trying to sneak out! I was sitting down, and shouldered the Ballard and began to zero in on the buck through the midrange vernier sight. I set the rear trigger as I heard my nephew say, "Look at that buck!" I touched the Ballard off and he dropped like a rock. As we were celebrating with high fives, he began to kick and tumbled all the way to the bottom of that draw!
We sat there for a few minutes to ensure he was done, and I asked my nephew to laser the distance, as I guessed it was close to what I'd been shooting at the range's 150 yd. dinger. He told me it was 140 yds., so right at my sight in distance!
Lost my PB image we took at the kill, so these are all I have now.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Del J
Participating Member

Re: Mule deer with a Ballard Union Hill
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Nice buck and great rifle. Thanks for posting.
                  Del J

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Thanks for sharing Vall Loved the story as well as the rifle being used. 

JLouis

" It Is Better To Now Have Been A Has Been Than A Never Was Or A Wanna Be "

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Hey Vall, A really neat story and the rifle just makes it so much better. Thanks for posting it. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks also for sharing the hunt story and the picture of the nice buck. I like pinpoint accuracy, but I always figure that good real world accuracy is no where near cutting edge match accuracy, nor does it need to be. I'd also guess that you didn't feel under gunned or feel the need to hot rod the 38-55. Sorry to drift a bit with the extra comments, and nice rifle too.

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Great story and pictures Vall. Nice buck, taken with a vintage rifle. It can't get much better.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Nice rifle and buck!

That looks like kind of rifle that would have been carried in soft leather (buckskin?) cover back when such rifles were standard in western USA. There are many pics here in Denver of hunters with such rifles and dead muleys or elk. Hunters were well dressed in latest late 1800s hunting clothes, including cartridge belts filled with long BP cartridges, with their horse beside or behind them.

Longest distance I ever killed a deer or elk was about 150M, also one shot with a short-case 7mm loaded to original 7X57 specs for 173 gr bullet. One shot and elk ran away with tail dropped -- ran maybe 75M. Nosler 175 grain Partition bullet penetrated about a meter of elk, making nice hole in heart, one lung and liver, and was not found. Yes, late 1800s rifles and loads are all that are needed, if placed  well. Never needed more.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
craigd wrote on Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:31pm:
Thanks also for sharing the hunt story and the picture of the nice buck. I like pinpoint accuracy, but I always figure that good real world accuracy is no where near cutting edge match accuracy, nor does it need to be. I'd also guess that you didn't feel under gunned or feel the need to hot rod the 38-55. Sorry to drift a bit with the extra comments, and nice rifle too.

My load was the 255 gr. cast leaving the muzzle at around 1350 fps. Pretty mild load, but that load has taken several deer in my 1881 and 1893 Marlins, prior to using it in the Ballard. It replicates a BP load pretty closely.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
JerryH wrote on Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:44pm:
Great story and pictures Vall. Nice buck, taken with a vintage rifle. It can't get much better.

JerryH

Wish PB hadn't messed up my account, as I can't find the original image on my zip drive or computer from the field. That buck weighed 130 lbs. at the butcher with no head, hide, guts, or lower legs. Butcher said it easily was over 200 lbs. on the hoof in his estimation.

IP Logged

ballardhepburnmich
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:00am
Print Post  
That is a proudsome deer and an even more proudsome rifle.
Lee

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 11:35am
Print Post  
ballardhepburnmich wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:00am:
That is a proudsome deer and an even more proudsome rifle.
Lee

Thanks Lee! 
The area we hunt never gets wide racks, or racks with mass. So this one is  one of the better I've gotten over the 30 plus years of hunting the area.

IP Logged

rustyrelx
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
Now ya gotta try the 40-85.
Don

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
rustyrelx wrote on Oct 26th, 2017 at 12:29pm:
Now ya gotta try the 40-85.
Don

I may Don, but likely not on deer. We decided we're done with deer here in Oregon, and will concentrate on elk in the future. I think the .40-85 with a 335 gr. cast bullet should make a great elk cartridge!

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
I think you're right this is a fun forum that was added to the board. If you like the 38-55, you don't have to write it off. Here's a freezer elk that a buddy took with a rifle of mine. I'm not the best at picture taking or saving, but I stumbled on this from about three seasons ago.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2019 at 1:24pm by craigd »  

IP Logged

rmc
Participating Member

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
craigd,
That apears to be a Bullard single shot is it?
rmc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint