Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Javelina Hunt (Read 11667 times)
LONG RANGE
Senior Forum Member

Re: Javelina Hunt
Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Jerry, I enjoyed your story of the javelina hunt very much. I remember hunting those crafty little piggies back in the early sixties and I never even saw one. We would find an opening in the brush where they had been and you could even smell them but we never got a shot. I also appreciate your story about food or lack of it. Been there and it ain't pretty.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2017 at 2:13pm by LONG RANGE »  

IP Logged

Chris C
Senior Forum Member

Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
My brother, lifelong avid hunter, has shot a couple here in Oklahoma.  Only thing he could make out of them that was even halfway palatable was sausage.......doctored all to hell with strong spices to cover up the taste.  Says he won't bother to mess with one again.  Said they reminded him of when he was in the Boy Scouts and his Scoutmaster conned the boys into roasting acorns and eating them for breakfast............but the that's another food story.

Chris
IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Here is a small herd enjoying my garbage. I am well familiar with them lust filled and otherwise Wink if you dont get into the scent glands the meat tastes fine. You wouldnt know what you were eating. Most people (90+% ) get into the glands when they are butchering and the taste and smell is terrible.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Guess there's a reason they're nicknamed "skunk pigs"!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
Zack, you have my sympathy, having to put up with 'em at home, if they're even half as bad as we've been told. Yikes! My only experience with anything similar was feral pigs over in California, and it tasted very good indeed. Tough to put down with a shot to the shoulder- like Jerry mentioned. One in the shoulder and the SOB was back to eating in about twenty seconds! One behind the ear and he was dinner.
Vall, I never heard 'em called skunk pigs, but it seems an apt term, given all that's written here. 
We're gonna like this new section, I bet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint