Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington #2 block conversion (Read 2993 times)
Bigskybob

Remington #2 block conversion
Aug 11th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
It seems like I can remember seeing a photo of a jig for holding the breech block for the milling, etc. process.
Need to get to .32WCF from .32RF
Thanks 
Bob

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Remington #2 block conversion
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I'd like to do the same, or from 32RF to 32 Colt.
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Bigskybob

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Not much for Remington modifiers out there at the present

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2017 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Midway has a video about doing it, saw it on TV.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:02am
Print Post  
I watched the video and he forgot about explaining how to get the angle right.I have done more than a few of these conversions and getting the angle for the new firing pin hole is very important.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Read Mr. Single Shot's Gunsmithing Idea Book by Frank DeHass.  I use his technique with a jig mounted on one of the sides of my mill vise.  Be sure to locate and drill as described in DeHass' book.  I have done several like this, all successfully.  I can provide pictures and  info if you give me a pm with your email address.  This site has limited picture size capacity and chokes when I try to load my pictures.  Good luck with your endeavor.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) IMG_2617.JPG (Attachment deleted | 0 Downloads )

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Here's another pic

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2017 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
I will assume that you use the jig pin as a pesudo firing pin bore locator to hold the pin bore (old) in alignment with the quill which then is moved to the new FP location and drilled. 

Still not sure how that sets the new FP position running true to the old pin bore as much as possible

Also assuming the jig is a tad thinner than the block so that the jig is held by set screw in pic and the block is free to float to center of the vice jaws when clamping for drilling......am I seeing that right?

I'd love to see a hand sketch of the setup.

IP Logged

fishoot

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2017 at 1:03am
Print Post  
Yes, the jig is narrower than the block.  It is narrower than a block for a number 2 or number 1 roller.  I frequently reface the block as described in DeHass' book.  Points of the jig are for alignment of entry and exit points for the drilling operation.  The top pin is replaced by a drill bit and the bottom pin is removed when the firing pin tip diameter is to be drilled.  The block has to be removed and the lower pin removed at the end to finish the drilling.  The drill used to do the first part of the drilling operation can be used to locate the block in the vise.  I just put the block on the drill bit and clamp the vise down.  Drilling the exit hole requires a homemade drill mounted in a shaft matching the firing pin diameter to finish the hole.  De Hass' book covers most of this.  The part left out is aligning the block with the drill and vise.  That's why I made this jig.   I know its probably hard to visualize this procedure.  Maybe next time I will document the procedure step by step with pictures.  I hope I have helped and not just confused you.

IP Logged

corerftech
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Please document your next effort! That would be fantastic!
You did clarify considerably, thank you.

Mike

IP Logged

RBKenn
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
If anyone would rather not tackle that yourself, forum member Curt Hardcastle, 575.574.8825 does a very sanitary conversion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint