Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Stevens Model 52 (Read 18596 times)
arlon
Participating Member

Stevens Model 52
Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
This is an interesting old rile for me. Probably my favorite. It has a lot of family history. Acquired by my G Grandfather in Cibolo Texas in the very early 1900's. Schutzen matches were popular in the area, Cibolo is only a few miles from New Braunfels. I have record of him shooting a State Rifle Match in New Braunfels reported in the Houston Post on May 14, 1904. 

There is a partial bullet box with a piece of paper wadded up in it as a spacer. The paper is dated April 3, 1904. Maybe this was the box he was pulling bullets from the match. Fun to ponder. 

I also have his old shooting box that had a few boxes of 330 gr paper patched bullets, simple reloading tool, primers an some old sporting ammo (have a regular model 44 in 38-55 also). 

Here are a few pics. Not sure what the limit is here on photos. Hope I don't go over it. Ahh. Limit is 5! (-:} More on a reply then.

IP Logged

arlon
Participating Member

Re: Stevens Model 52
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
See if I can add a few more images...

IP Logged

arlon
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
And the match scores. G Grandfather is highlighted. 

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
wonderful rifle and to have the family connection is really special.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Yes a wonderful rifle and very neat accessories too! The re-decapping tool with the case in it looks very much like a Ballard tool. 
The condition and case colors on your rifle's receiver look like it was well cared for! Looks like someone wanted to make it easier to use for benchrest and cut the prongs off the Swiss buttplate. That's fairly common to find that done, or even another flat buttplate installed.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Beautiful rifle!  Also, on the presumption that likely several someones here can answer these, first, is the de- and re-capper a Ballard or just a Ballard look-alike?  Second, is the front sight a Stevens or someone else's?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

arlon
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 4:59pm:
Beautiful rifle!  Also, on the presumption that likely several someones here can answer these, first, is the de- and re-capper a Ballard or just a Ballard look-alike?  Second, is the front sight a Stevens or someone else's?

Bill Lawrence

It looks like one of the bullet boxes is marked Ballard, hard to tell. I have not noticed any marking on the capper/decapper tool. 
Also a tall brass funnel was in the box. 

The front sight on the rifle now looks like a replacement. I have the original but I guess G Grandfather liked the super fine post/dot more than the reticles for the one with the bubble level. 

Here are the front sights that he had. One is on a .22 model 44, one loose (one I thought was original to the Model 52). 
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2017 at 5:23pm by arlon »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Ballard re-decappers weren't marked with Marlin markings. Simply the 2 digit caliber by the hole the cartridge case slips through. Since these tools were likely made for Marlin by BGI, it's possible they sold them to others also.
The Ballard box of patched bullets should have a "JM Marlin" name on the box. I have a like new box, and pretty sure they were made for Marlin by UMC.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Very nice!

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Arlon, my rifle lost its prongs like yours. I feel for you there. But, beyond that your rifle has seen better love for its life than my ol' shooter. Great stuff to have from a grandpa. Thanks for letting us share it with you. Treasure it.

IP Logged

arlon
Participating Member

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
calledflyer wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 6:03pm:
Arlon, my rifle lost its prongs like yours. I feel for you there. But, beyond that your rifle has seen better love for its life than my ol' shooter. Great stuff to have from a grandpa. Thanks for letting us share it with you. Treasure it.

LOL, yea sometimes I wish the prongs were there but then when I stuff it in the safe, I'm glad they're gone.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Years ago I purchased an 1881 Marlin lever action repeater with the small Farrow Swiss buttplate, and someone had cut the prongs off. Since it was serial numbered to the gun I didn't want to put a repro on it, so I fixed it instead.
I bought a repro buttplate and cut the prongs off it. Then I drilled and tapped the buttplate and the prongs I cut off with a 10-32 tap. I threaded a 10-32 stud into the buttplate, and then threaded the prongs onto the studs and tightened them until they aligned correctly. Then I used my oxy-acetylene torch and gas welded the prongs to the buttplate. Once it was done I shaped and polished the weld and had the buttplate refinished. It looked proper, and retained the serial number.

IP Logged

willsweptline
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Wow. Not only to have the gun stay in your family for that long, but to have all of that with it. Amazing.

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Arlon. Thank God you appreciate your Grand Fathers Gun and his Life!  PLEASE do not go to Las Vegas and visit Pawn Stars, so you can "Party" ...I will be pissed!

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
That is downright beautiful !!! The history that rifle has is awesome. Treasure it. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint