Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Gunstocks & Humidity (Read 7594 times)
desert-dude
Senior Forum Member

Re: Gunstocks & Humidity
Reply #15 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Impregnation with a monomer -> polymer is usually done by pulling a vacuum to degas
then returning to normal pressure to push the monomer into the voids in the wood 
left by degassing.

IP Logged

Rek
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Just for completeness I'll post this quite informative link, being a discussion of how some guys use vacuum setups to finish their  single shots for under water use:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I didn't know for example that the finish is supposed to enter the wood as the vacuum is released, not so much when the bubbles are coming out, as the returning air pressure then pushes it in.

SSShooter wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:41am:
You could use schedule 80 PVC pipe with round (not flat) end-caps and your shop vac (assuming you have a 1/2hp or so). Best to vent out doors to get rid of the vapors you'll be pulling off. If you get fancy with the vac pump it will start getting expensive.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2017 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
This table (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) shows flatsawn walnut will move 0.0027 inches/per inch/per % of moisture change.  A 50% change in ambient humidity should change the wood content less 10%.  Should be less than half that with normal wood sealing and reasonable storage conditions.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

KFW
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:20am
Print Post  
.22-5-40
I can really sympathize here, I moved from Michigan to New Mexico a few years back. my whole collection showed signs of significant shrinkage in a short period of time. 200 yr old antiques and contemporary builds that where heavily sealed all where affected. several articles ie a 1790 blanket chest and a violin all split. now living in Montana....humidity here is about in the the middle of the last 2 extremes.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
The best you can hope for on wood shrinkage is to have it sealed.  That will slow the process, hopefully keeping the movement even minimizing any damage.  You can't stop wood movement.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint