Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A.M.T. 1874 Sharps ? (Read 19780 times)
n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Re: A.M.T. 1874 Sharps ?
Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Was looking on Gun Broker under Other Manufactures for Single Shot Rifles and there is a AMT Stainless Bolt Action for sale.  Guess they made a bit of everything.  David

IP Logged

HawkeyeII
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
I would love to see your AMT Sharps pics. What was your interest in that one? Sharps, Caliber, Brand or ? I'm looking for the AMT sharps info., as what calibers, markings and such.
How they perform what be a plus on the info side too! Cheesy

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Hawkeye , Sorry it took so long to get these pics. I found this one on line a Cabellas , in Minnesota, I think?  AMT Sharps, 45-70, it has a 30 inch 1 1/8 straight barrel at 12 lbs 4 oz. There is no rear sight dove tail cut, I added the (cheap) tang sight so I could shoot it. I really doubt that it had ever been shot before. It shoots as accurate as my other 2 45-70's , a pedersoli RB and a custom RB, but of course I am no expert shot and only have shot this one a 200 yds.,,,If you need any more info just ask!, Ed
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2020 at 6:57pm by Longknife »  

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
This will work better!!! You will notice the nose cap is missing!!! Thanks to UPS!!!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Losing a cast-in-place pewter forend cap without, apparently, damaging the wood is a new low, even for UPS.   Cry

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

HawkeyeII
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
WOW! Very nice piece you got there. i'm trying to search out info on AMT/ARCADIA firearms. For a company to survive it needs to sell enough product but it seems like there are so few I don't understand how they stayed in business for more than a few months if that.
Did you try to replace your forearm cap? Would another brand/model fit or did AMT have a special size?
PM sent Longknife

IP Logged

Longknife

Reply #21 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Hawkeye, The nose cap was poured in place so I will have to pour a new cap and refinish the stock also. I was not too impressed with the wood work on this rifle. The forearm is too thick, shaped wrong and the nosecap was the wrong shape. I have since purchased a Shiloh Sharps (shown, compare the 2 fore ends)so now I know what they are supposed to look like and will be re finishing the wood work in the near future. The action seems to be as tight and functional as my Shiloh, I'm happy to find out that my AMT Sharps has a Sharon barrel....Ed 

IP Logged

HawkeyeII
Participating Member

Reply #22 - Nov 3rd, 2021 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
I know it's been a long while but wanted to know if anybody out there has one of these and wanting to discuss some details about them. I can also be emailed any info you are willing to share.
Thanks
warcraftmapeditor@gmail.com

IP Logged

ScrapMetal

Reply #23 - Nov 4th, 2021 at 3:32am
Print Post  
HawkeyeII wrote on Mar 11th, 2020 at 11:35pm:
WOW! Very nice piece you got there. i'm trying to search out info on AMT/ARCADIA firearms. For a company to survive it needs to sell enough product but it seems like there are so few I don't understand how they stayed in business for more than a few months if that.
Did you try to replace your forearm cap? Would another brand/model fit or did AMT have a special size?
PM sent Longknife

According to this old "for sale" post on iCollector.com, "AMT IN THE EARLY 70'S TRIED TO GET INTO THE SHARPS STYLE RIFLE FOR A VERY BRIEF TIME. "

The quote is from this .45-125?

and there was also a .50-140?

FWIW

-Ron
"For the Horde"

IP Logged

HawkeyeII
Participating Member

Reply #24 - Nov 5th, 2021 at 1:58am
Print Post  
I'm hoping to find more info about this odd brand/model of rifles. That second link you posted  makes it seem it was a prototype, which I believe it isn't from research I found so far. The calibers are interesting as well. Looking to get one of these, I already have a sharps.

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #25 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Carol Watson Orange coast Auctions on November 20, 2021 has an Arcadia Sharps Serial number G.L.R.000001. 32in octagon barrel cal 45-120 Marked Sharps rifle Mfg./ Arcadia cal. Buckhorn and blade sights. Est 1800-2400. Pictures in on line catalog.
Garman and Boardman had a gun shop in Arcadia in the 70s and while there Dave asked if i wanted to see the factory and we drove over and spent some time looking around.

IP Logged

HawkeyeII
Participating Member

Reply #26 - Nov 7th, 2021 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Any pictures? Nowadays that always happens but back then it was rare to do. I did see that auction, would like to know why the serial number having initials story. It looks like factory stamped, what do you think about them? Seem like these rifle were always kept on west coast area where they were located.
Any inside stories about them you remember?

IP Logged

Tom_Trevor assra life no.71
Oldtimer

Tom Trevor

Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 12:08am
Print Post  
No pictures back then. Just think a phone was on the wall with a cord attached!! Dave later told me that they were ten years early in the project. He passed a year or so ago and  gunrunner auctions sold a lot of his items  and what looked like leftover parts.

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 4:17am
Print Post  
I remember seeing an AMT Sharps at a gun show in Salt Lake City circa 1976-8. As I recall it was extremely expensive (relative my being just out of the Navy and a gunsmithing student at Utah Tech.). I found it interesting but at those times everyone wanted a Hawken mountain rifle. The Movie Jeremiah Johnson came out in 1972 and that fad went on for at least 10 years. I ended up completing a couple of Green River Rifle Works kits during that time. C. Sharps/Shiloh rifles were just catching on and the prices were much lower than the AMT as I recall. No idea at this point about delivery times. I eventually got a Shiloh after a two year wait (promised at 9 months) and could never make it shoot well. Eventually discovered it had a trombone shaped bore. It was an adventure getting the barrel cut since I was back in the Army and without access to a shop. The big name custom shop that did the work over-cut the sight slot and sent the rifle back to Germany looking like I might have done the work at the craft shop on base. Eventually got a custom sight made that fit the dovetail......

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

HawkeyeII
Participating Member

Reply #29 - Nov 8th, 2021 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Yeah them phone didn't move to much! I did see a rifle Dave made that was real fancy, that was just going to be much out of my price range for sure. I heard Dave ran the shop but Harry Sanford had his finger in there somewhere. Would like to know the business details of how that was done as well. Some rifles as you see pictures above used A.M.T. in the brand so Harry was doing something, I also know Harry offered these types of rifles as unfinished "kits". I don't know how unfinished as in the legal issue with serial numbers on the receivers or not. Were they a hunk of metal that needing any real metal work or not, meaning 80% receivers loophole. The picture I seen had showed everything in pieces, wood stock unfinished, receiver I think was in the white along with the barrel being unattached (IIRC). Maybe somebody has one of these kits and can fill in the details.
What about them "Green River" kits, how did they come? Serial numbers? stock finished, metal finish? More info please.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint