Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 25 Maynard (Read 2410 times)
Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

25 Maynard
Mar 1st, 2016 at 10:36pm
Print Post  

Were any Maynard rifles made in 25 caliber from the factory?
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Re: 25 Maynard
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 12:39am
Print Post  
Yeah, I have one in 25-20 SS. Think it was the first factory rifle to be chambered in .25.

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 8:32am
Print Post  
The 25/20 Single Shot chambering was introduced in the Maynard. In the 1890 catalog is a report of O.M. Jewell's work with the new 25 caliber rifle. At a shoot in Lawrence, Mass June 21, 1890 he shot a 97 from rest and a score of 90 offhand. The shooting was done without cleaning and the offhand score was 4 points higher than any by a larger caliber.

I've seen 25 rimfire barrels marked "Rebored and rifled by J. Stevens Arms Co." or some such marking. I suppose they were reworked 22 barrels but because they were done by Stevens after they bought the assets of Maynard I guess they don't count.

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Thanks Guys!
Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. Let's Go Sonny!

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
In the 1894 Wimbledon Cup Match E.A. Leopold shot what was simply listed as a 25-40 Maynard. Mr. Leopold was a Maynard fan and shot many of them over the years. Research indicates that the cartridge was probably a 32-40 Ballard or Winchester, whichever you choose, necked down to 25 caliber. The cartridge was introduced in 1895 in the Marlin 1893 as the 25-36 Marlin which was nearly identical to the Winchester 25-35. 

Dr. Maynard had passed away and the assets of his company purchased  by Stevens by then. The origin of his barrel is not known but was probably custom made. It was probably called a 25-40 Maynard simply because Leopold was shooting a Maynard in a special 25 caliber.

No one would think of the 25-36 Marlin or 25-35 Winchester as a 1000 yd. cartridge these days for sure. The match conditions were quite bad with rain, wind and dark skies such that only 10 riflemen decided to compete. Mr. Leopold finished dead last of the competitors with a score of 55 out of a possible 150. That probably sealed the fate of 25 caliber cartridges in long range matches for many years.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Maybe a 25-06 in a heavy barreled bolt gun, but I can't see any BP era 25 cal making the journey out to 1000 yds and retaining ANY accuracy.   

At 200 yds, however, the 25-20 SS was quite popular for a while, and from what a guy by the name of Ken Meyer says, it works pretty good to this very day!  One of these days I'll finish my Ken Hurst engraved low wall with its Green Mtn barrel fitted and chambered by Charlie Dell in 25-20 SS.  That project has been simmering on the back burner since the turn of the century.  Embarrassed

Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint