Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) MVA sight question (Read 7407 times)
Roscoe
Participating Member

MVA sight question
Feb 29th, 2016 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
I received some very good information on my front global sight question on another thread and a have a question now regarding the rear sight.

I'm looking at the Baldwin and MVA mid range sights.  

Anyone have any experience with either sight?

Anyone know what distances these are made for?  In their write up about the sights, it doesn't tell anything other than, long range, mid range, etc.

I like the adjustable eye piece on the Baldwin, but the MVA doesn't come with one.  Can an adjustable eyepiece be added to the MVA?

I also noticed on the MVA sight it appears to be easier to read with the hash marks on a white background.  Whereas the Baldwin sights only have them made into the side of the sights.

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Re: MVA sight question
Reply #1 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
I have several of the MVA Vernier sights and have one of their Soule sights on order.  I think that the MVA are excellent sights for ease of adjustment and their quality is superb.  

They sell an adjustable eyepiece that has a wheel with a number of different-sized apertures.  This is a "Hadley" eyepiece, and I am pleased with my MVA Hadleys.  I have a sight with a Hadley eyepiece from another maker (not Baldwin) and both the MVA  sight and Hadley are superior to those of the other maker.

One nice feature of the MVA Hadley eyepiece is that there is a rubber O-ring inlet into the rear rim of the eyepiece to prevent the sight from marring the base, tang or stock when folded back.

I have no experience with Baldwin sights, so cannot comment on them, but I am so pleased with MVA's product that I probably won't try others unless they be on someone else's rifle.

As far as which height staff to choose, I'd give MVA a call and discuss that with them.  They'll take into consideration the distances that you want to reach, the length of your barrel, and perhaps other variables to suggest which staff height that would serve you best.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2016 at 1:11pm by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
MVA Schuetzen Soule Tang will make it out to turkeys for BPCR( 425+ yds) using there low mount front globe on A Highwall. So for Schuetzen you have plenty of elevation in a very compact sight........

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
The marks on the MVA staff are simply inches.  On a typical single shot these will work out to be pretty close to a minute of angle per 0.01" of sight movement.

The range you can reach depends on a lot of things.  My .45-90 highwall could easily reach 1000 yards with an MVA midrange.   My Shiloh in .45-70 could not.

For 200-220 yard shooting their schuetzen model is quite nice.  I have one on a CPA and it is perfect for the job.  It's also short enough that it's safe to leave on the rifle folded down if I'm using a scope.

Chris.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 10:08am
Print Post  
For most older caliber rifles, a midrange tang sight will get you to 400 yds, if you don't go too high on your globe front sight. (not global) A longrange will get most old calibers to 1,000 yds. and beyond.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
Anyone have any experience with either sight?
Yes and each is top of the line vernier sight
Anyone know what distances these are made for?  In their write up about the sights, it doesn't tell anything other than, long range, mid range, etc.
Long range has a 5" staff ... Mid Range has 3" staff.  Unless you plan to shoot at 1000yds or more - buy the Mid Range
I like the adjustable eye piece on the Baldwin, but the MVA doesn't come with one.  Can an adjustable eyepiece be added to the MVA?
Yes - it's called a Hadley cup
I also noticed on the MVA sight it appears to be easier to read with the hash marks on a white background.  Whereas the Baldwin sights only have them made into the side of the sights.
Your preference, like Chevy's Chrysler's or Ford's

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2016 at 4:15pm by »  

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Schuetzen staff will get you out past 200yd/m and works well for the intended purpose as well as .22BPCR, which is 200m. 
Mid-range is just what it says. Mid-range is out to 600yd.
Long-range is also just what it says. Long-range is out 1000yd. 
Obviously, or should be, that there is some latitude and each sight will get you some distance past the nominal max for each designated range.
MVA is the most popular tang sight in BPCR/BPTR, followed by Baldwin and Hoke. This is according to the statistics that the NRA keeps for the national matches. All are available with some form of Hadley eye-piece and all are excellent quality. Another sight of similar quality is Kelley. You cannot go wrong with any of them, though I prefer the Hoke.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2016 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Another sight of similar quality is Kelley.

Let's not leave out Lee Shaver or Distant Thunder verniers Wink

And if one wants to buy a cheaper vernier ... 

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 3:57am
Print Post  
"I also noticed on the MVA sight it appears to be easier to read with the hash marks on a white background.  Whereas the Baldwin sights only have them made into the side of the sights".

Steve will scribe the hash marks on either side of the staff, just ask him.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 7:41am
Print Post  
I am a big MVA fan. 

Boats

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 8:14am
Print Post  
MVA, Baldwin, Hoke, Kelley, Distant Thunder & Shaver are all excellent quality sights. 

The advantage that the Hoke sight has "for me" is that it is faster to adjust in timed events (BPCR) as it has 5 equi-distant marks around the elevation and windage knobs that are 1/2 MOA adjustments. If my spotter tells me up 1 it is easy to turn the knob through 2 marks for 1MOA up (or down or left or right). Much faster and easier than trying to read the vernier scale. Would be easy enough to do the same on the other sights and if I shot with one of them I would have my jeweler's files out and be marking them with 1/2MOA scribe marks to speed my sight movements. Also the reason I've gone from the stock Creedmoor rear sight mount on my 28" MVA scope to the "Unertl syle" B5 rear mount. So much faster to read those large white scales then the small vernier scales. Don't need bifocals to make sight adjustments.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 10:30am
Print Post  
I respectfully disagree on the Shaver sights Glenn.  I've owned two of the deluxe ones. I don't think they are terrible or anything, but they are definitely a step down from the MVA sights.  I would never consider another one when for a little more I could buy an MVA.

Chris.

IP Logged

derrickman

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I pretty well concur with jy3855 on the MVA tang.
I use the Baldwin front sight on all rifles but have added some inserts, my design, built by Distant Thunder.
All good stuff. You won't have any regrets.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2016 at 11:02am
Print Post  
I recently bought a canted front sight with some custom inserts from Jim at Distant Thunder.  The sights are great and Jim is a really good guy to do business with.

Chris.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 1:52pm
Print Post  

"One nice feature of the MVA Hadley eyepiece is that there is a rubber O-ring inlet into the rear rim of the eyepiece to prevent the sight from marring the base, tang or stock when folded back."

I have a Kelly Schuetzen that I like for the ease of adjustment and overall quality.  I cut a strip of 1 1/4" heat shrink tubing and shrunk it on the eye piece with a heat gun to solve the stock marring problem.  It doesn't look as nice as the brass but it works.  I did the same thing with the elevation knob to prevent scratching things up with the cleaning rod.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint