Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New guy also high wall question (Read 5040 times)
Foxdog

New guy also high wall question
Feb 26th, 2016 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Hey new to the forum looking forward to learning more about single shot rifles.  But ive got a question, last year I picked up a pedersoli 1885 high wall in 45-70 from taylors co. Ive mainly plinked around with it and hunted quite a bit with it. Im shooting 405gr federal ammo fairly low pressure rounds.  My question is what commercial ammo can I shoot up to with this rifle.  Taylors said all commercial ammo is fine. But there is some real hot loads out there.   
Thanks

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: New guy also high wall question
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
I believe that the load they are talking about is the jacketed 300 gr one @ 1800 fps.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
In my experience, everything being commercially loaded is done with the Trapdoor Springfield in mind.  This being the case, I wouldn't worry about putting any of those in even a high wall copy, and the Uberti is a good quality copy from the standpoint of steel used and strength.  You really should invest in some reloading tools and a bullet mould or two so you can really enjoy your rifle to the max.  Even a basic Lee Loader will do a good job for you.

Froggie

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I would certainly avoid the really hot stuff from Garrett and Buffalo Bore.  Some of their ammunition is loaded to much higher pressures.

Chris.

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I have something like that only in .30/40.  I think it will stand up to a lot, but why?  Best thing I did with mine was to put a buttstock from a Winder Musket on it.  Much easier on the shoulder.

IP Logged

Foxdog

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Not wanting to shoot hot stuff for the sake of it. I do hunt with this rifle alot and the Remington 405gr has been more than enough to put meat on the table. But a friend sold a 45-70 lever and gave me two boxes one corbon 460gr  1650 fps 2780 ft/lbs the other 430 gr hsm bear load. Just trying to find out if I should even contemplate using these rounds.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I would consult with Pedersoli.  If I remember correctly the Pedersoli Sharps is supposed to be limited to 29,000 psi, or maybe CUP.   

Perhaps the highwall is proofed higher, but some of the hot loads for Marlins run at 40,000 CUP, which will give you a 400gr bullet at 1800+ fps.  The heavy duty stuff by Garrett and Buffalo Bore are not far from those specifications.

Back before I got into precision shooting with cast bullets my idea of fun used to be shooting heavy .45-70 loads out of my Marlins and Ruger #1.  Some of them would make my eyes water  Cheesy.    The closest thing I get to these days is shooting my long range black powder rifles.

Be safe.

Chris.

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
I am "almost" certain that Pedersoli says 28,000 PSI (they also use CUP interchangeably with the same numbers???) for the Highwall. Those Buffalo Bore rounds are for Marlin 1895s or stronger and IMHO they are about max for the Marlin so I would be hesitant to shoot them in the Pedersoli Highwall although I have known someone who did with no problems. Still I think they may be a bit outside the Pedersoli's safety range.

The advice to load your own is good advice indeed, safe loads can easily be found that are above the factory Remington, Winchester, etc BP equivalent ammo without pushing the limit with ammo such as the Garret and Buffalo Bore. Besides with the obscene pricing of factory ammo for the 45/70 simple plinking can get extremely expensive in a hurry at $1.50 to $2.00+ a pop!

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2016 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
FWIW,
I have used some rather "awesome" loads in my Orig 1886 Win lever gun( ser no. is year of 1891), which the loading books qualify up to 29000psi
385 gr Cast bullets clocking 1750fps.   Lyman lists 48 gr 3031 for 400gr bullet weight for this kind of velocity. Believe me, it is plenty stout and hunting accurate. Over a period of 18 years of exclusive use, my '86 has killed Very Well on big bucks here in WI. Always one shot one kill. Bullet always passes thru no matter the angle.
I don't know for sure, but seems as tho that recently made Pedersoli should be able to handle such loads. 
BUT, better check with them...... I express NO Warranty on loads other than my own personal experience

beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 1:12am
Print Post  
If those 2 boxes were mine, I would pull the loads, dump the powder, sell the bullets or give them away, and keep the cases.  Leaving that stuff around means that there is a big chance that someone would shoot the loaded cartridges in an old rifle.  They are a disaster waiting to happen.

IP Logged

Radkins

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 9:09am
Print Post  
The Highwall is an inherently strong design and capable of withstanding some very heavy loads but that of course depends a great deal on the type of metal it's built from. The older originals were noted for their strength and in the larger bores such as the 45/70 the shooter's shoulder will give up before the rifle action does! Probably the Pedersoli is built of at least equivalent steel, and likely better, than the originals -almost certainly better than the very early ones built before the turn of the century. Still those Boffalo Bore and Garret loads might be pushing the limit and result in a loose action even if no catastrophic event occurs so I personally would not use them. Factory Remington, Winchester, Hornady, etc rounds are suitable for everything from plinking to hunting anything on this continent with maybe the exception of the big Alaskan bears but if even more thump is wanted handloads can provide a middle-ground between the BP equivalent factory ammo and the really heavy specialty loads from those specialty ammo loaders, besides those those Buffalo Bore, Garret, etc would just plain hurt!     Cry

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Quote:
The older originals were noted for their strength and in the larger bores such as the 45/70 the shooter's shoulder will give up before the rifle action does!

The above is always the key to the 45/70. I always loved the stories about the Cavalry guy's switching out the carbine rounds for the rifle rounds. Smiley

I believe that everyone should own and shoot a 45/70, especially if he/she is into single shots. There can be nothing wrong with a cartridge that's been around since 1873!!! I have three 45 Colt caliber pistols, too. I love that year!

When I started this game, I wanted one real bad and had one built that year (1985) and I still have that one. I've always been a "hot rodder" and saw the Lyman loads for the Rugers, as well as others. The top loads of Rx7 are the ones I liked the best Smiley One reason that I like the Rx7 loads, is that you can load the cartridge like in the BP days but, in the RUGER, ONLY.

They kinda reminded me of the 458 Win Mag and I had visions of Elephants and Brown Bears running through my head Smiley

Another reason that I like the 45/70 is that it separates the men from the boys and it makes me young again Smiley

Now after the torn rotor cuff surgery, I can shoot again. I'm very happy about that, too Smiley

You can see by all the Smiley Faces, just how happy the 45/70 makes me Smiley Smiley

Frank

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2016 at 10:46am by frnkeore »  

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint