Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Global front sight & insert (Read 3514 times)
Roscoe
Participating Member

Global front sight & insert
Feb 28th, 2016 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I'm just getting started in shooting with the vernier style sights.  My current rifles are all scoped and I thought I would have one set up with a Baldwin or similar style.

The current plan is to use a global style front sight with an insert.  Wearing prescription glasses, what is a good insert to use?

IP Logged

Ciao998
Senior Forum Member

Re: Global front sight & insert
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Almost everyone uses an aperture front insert that is large enough to see a ring of white around the colored scoring rings.

John

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I liked a bead on a post on offhand back in the days when I could see irons sights.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
what is a good insert to use?

Roscoe, I wear prescription glasses also.  
Starting point:Had the optician set the long distance reading bifocal at 10mm high (keeps the head high with no bent neck) on the stock and in the office used various strength pieces of optics so a small object in the office was crystal clear at a distance of 30" ... focal plane on a rifle  When looking through the ocular on the vernier a clear front sight is the objective.

What insert?  Candidly they all work and personal preference usually determines which one.  I favor the lolly pop circles that is graduated in the set of inserts that shows a small amount of white around the bullseye - distance dependent ... I shoot a lot of BPCR NRA targets with black bullseyes.  If you are a 6:00 hold shooter, the rectangular post works well out to 200yds.  For 100yd shooting my favorite is the pin head aimed at the center of the bullseye.  Look at the 1st two insert cards on Lee Shaver's website and you'll see which ones I've discussed
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2016 at 5:17pm by »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Depending on your eyes, some like a peep aperture, and some like a post. I prefer a post, and the farther the distance to the target, the narrower the post is that I use. For extremely long range shooting I prefer a post width of about .040".

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Round bulls eye targets I use a aperture with a lot of light around the bull.  Silhouette target no distinct aiming point I use a post and bead. You will find you switch the front sight insert often depending on ambient light conditions.   

Rear Aperture, adjustable for light, I check before every single shot. Some days bright light then clouds will change it dozen times in a match. The Rear Aperture is the most critical part of your outfit. Must open and close easy and precise.  75 % of sight picture is Rear Aperture

On the front lot will depend on what you can focus, I shoot some 10 M Air rifle offhand indoors with High School and College competitors. Bulls eye target almost all use a flat top post same visual width as the black bull.  Young eyes perhaps they get a more precise aiming point. When I use a wide post I get lateral disposition, more than with Post and Bead.

If I had 16 year old eyes, would never miss a iron sight shot, think all of us senior shooters the same. Only way around it is tinker with sight picture using sights and glasses.

Boats

IP Logged

John Boy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Roscoe ... follow up.  Put a Hadley Cup on your vernier.   

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2016 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Jim at Distant Thunder will make any front sight insert you want at reasonable cost. I have a couple trying to improve my sight picture. All great ideas at the time. Keep coming back to large Aperture front for bulls eye post and bead for Silhouette

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint