Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trouble with Forester case trimmer (Read 3618 times)
JWL

Trouble with Forester case trimmer
Feb 16th, 2016 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I cannot get this trimmer to trim cases to any  consistent length and the case mouth is not level. What am I doing wrong?

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Re: Trouble with Forester case trimmer
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
How is the fit of pilot in case mouth?  Are you making sure case head is fully seated in collet?  Is stop setscrew tight?

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Just what I was going to ask. It sounds as if you don't have a pilot or the correct pilot and it is allowing the case to wobble. 

Here is what works for me:
- place the base of the case in the collet and slide the pilot into the case mouth.
- push the cutter blades up tight against the case mouth and loosen the collet to allow the case to seat fully into same and then tighten. This step insures the case is straight in the trimmer.
- pull the cutter blades back just a bit to allow you to turn it as you feed it into the case to do the trimming.
Works like a charm.
BTW - if you purchased used there is a chance that you need to have the blades sharpened (sending mine in tomorrow after 4yr of use). Think Forster charges $9, which includes return shipment.
If you are still having trouble post a pic of your set-up and we'll trouble shoot for you. 
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2016 at 9:03pm by SSShooter »  

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
You can also touch up the cutter with a fine stone or order a new one for not too much money.

JS

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Measure your rim diameter. A few years ago I was trimming some 40-65 brass and it was coming out different lengths. I tracked it down to the collet being different distances because of different rim diameters!! I bought an RCBS that holds the rim against the tool head. Yes, there could be a difference in rim thickness, but the back of the cartridge to the front end is always the same.

IP Logged

Irascible
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Forster used to resharpen the cutters for a minimal fee. They may still do that?

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
I have problems with my Forster case trimmer when doing the large rimmed cases. Thinking about buying a better trimmer. 

Joe.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

JWL

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions. The cutter head is sharp and 8 have checked the rim thickness for variances. I tried your suggestion Glenn and I am now getting consistency. Also the pilot was a bit small, I have a tighter one in now and everything is working much better. Jim

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2016 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
In my Forster case trimmer, the collet does not move, the mouth of the collet abuts the inside of the collet housing.  Only the collet clamp moves at the case head side.  So with my Forster trimmer, cases with slightly different diameters will not be trimmed to different lengths. 

IP Logged

SSShooter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 6:52am
Print Post  
jy3855 wrote on Feb 17th, 2016 at 8:25pm:
In my Forster case trimmer, the collet does not move, the mouth of the collet abuts the inside of the collet housing.  Only the collet clamp moves at the case head side.  So with my Forster trimmer, cases with slightly different diameters will not be trimmed to different lengths. 

Exactly. If you are getting length variation then you may have a piece of metal stuck in there or something. Mine works great for everything from .223 thru 40cal, which is my largest case.

Jim - glad it is working for you. I find the biggest drawback to trimming is having to chamfer the case-mouth. I haven't found a good outside chamfering tool. The one on my RCBS work-center is likely worn-out and needs replacement, which this thread has reminded me to do. Still trying to figure out a way to build that 44-70, but 38 & 32cal rifles keep getting in the way. Wink See you at the May regional at Friendship.

Glenn - 2x CPA 44 1/2 w/22LR (Shilen ratchet-rifled & Bartlein 5R rifled), 38-40RH & 38-55WCF (Bartlein 5R rifled) & 40-65WCF (GrnMtn 'X') barrels
GTalk  
IP Logged

Hayface

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:33am
Print Post  
I've been using a Forester for as long as I can remember and never had a problem with it with any caliber until I attempted to set it up as a dedicated case trimmer in a small import bench type drillpress.  To make a long story short, it turned out that the stop collar that limits downfeed on the drillpress was the culprit.  Even if you have used this setup before, I would suggest careful scrutiny of the spindle and downfeed limit device.  I replaced the flexible stop collar with a much more rigid shop made part and now all is good. 

Hayface

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2016 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Glen, this is kind of sad to say with all the chamfer tools on the market but the easiest chamfer tool I have found is the cheap little Lee tool. It lists for about $4. So far its about the nicest tool I have found to chamfer the outside of the case neck as  the neck goes inside of the tool  and there are no prongs to stab your finger if you miss.  If I have a lot of cases to deburr I just chuck the tool up in the lathe and run it slow and its very quick.
Sam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint