Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballard A-1 Mid-Range (Read 5276 times)
.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Ballard A-1 Mid-Range
Jul 7th, 2015 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
I was finally able to bring this rifle out to range for first time over the holiday weeekend.  As I posted earlier in year, it is an original J.M. Ballard A-1 Mid-Range with a very near mint bore...chambered for what I had thought was a .40-70 Ballard..more on this later.  Brass was Betrum from Buffalo Arms Co.  Since I last posted, I picked up a Lyman 406150 S.C. mould.  Using 30-1 lead-tin, it drops a 330gr. round nose at .405" dia.  My bore slugs .404, with a groove dia. of .4094".  This bullet is a nice snug fit in bore when chambering.  Dropping 70grs. Swiss 1 1/2
FG & a .06" fibre wad I only seated a portion of bullets base band in case..just enought to ensure bullet straightness.  I also loaded some Brooks Postel 300 & 350gr. bullets of 20-1 alloy sized .409.  I loaded more of the Brooks because I was sure they would be the more accurate..being nearly groove dia.   Lube for all bullets was SPG.  I only have a 100yd. range and took some time picking out a front sight appature that gave good target definition.  First up was the Lyman 406150.  I was pushing 1 damp patch thru after each shot, drying chamber & leaving bore damp.  I was quite surprised when all 5 went into a 1 1/8" group.  I could hardly wait to try the larger Brooks..but the accuracy just wasn't there...while I might get two shots close..most groups were 3"+!  What gives?  It wasn't until cases were washed & dried and measurements taken I found the answer.  The case mouth had opened to a whopping .425"!  It seems my advertised .40-70 was in fact chambered for the heaver "everlasting" Ballard .40-63 case...something even a chamber cast wouldn't have detected.   Having had excellent service from Rocky Mtn. Ctg. Co. in past with a .25-25 Stevens, I will put in an order for the proper sized case.  And here is where I would like your help...I would like to shoot P.P. as well as G.G. bullets.  I have a Tom Ballard adj. P.P. mould & have come up with a bullet .4045" over patch.  This is a nice snug push thru bore.  I can also size G.G. to either .409 or .410 dia.  I am wondering for P.P...as well as that Lyman 406150 if I should specify a .405 I.D. and for G.G. a .409" I.D.  Or do you think I should go a bit larger for bullet expansion?  I do have reloading dies to size case..but would prefer not having to size at all.  I also plan on having a large pistol primer pocket cut instead of large rifle.  I will not be using smokeless in any form in this rifle.  What do you black powder experts think?

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Ballard A-1 Mid-Range
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Ballard A-1 Mid-Range
You have something very special in your Ballard mid-range. You should get years of enjoyment shooting it. You didn’t say what sights are on the rifle so I assume it has something similar to the original tang peep and front windage globe sights. I also assume you intend to get your mid-range rifle to shoot as accurately as possible. In its day, it was a finely tuned instrument for target shooting and I hope you bring it back to its full accuracy potential. Whether shooting paper patch or grease groove bullets, my recommendation is you shoot it with breech seated bullets rather than fixed ammo.
 I have been shooting paper patch bullets for about 35 years and you might say I wrote the book for beginning paper patch bullet shooters. I have found best accuracy for target shooting is with breech seated bullets. The two paper patched bullets with which I have had the best accuracy in my 40-65 Ballard (Cody) are a very slightly over bore diameter cylindrical patched bullet and a tapered bullet with the patched diameters being bore diameter where the ogive blends into the body and groove diameter at the base.
I use a paper over primer wad, in the primer pocket. This is not to dampen the primer brisance but prevent stray powder kernels from getting into the primer pocket. I load cartridges full to the case mouth using a 24” (between about 18-30” will work fine) drop tube. A snug fitting card wad punched from either a juice carton, .03” veggie wad or file folder keeps the powder in place. I am particular to Swiss powder for its consistency, either 1F or 1.5F for a 40 cal rifle.
Set your breech seating tool so the plunger is flush with the case mouth and measure to ensure that is the same length as the cartridges your are using. Slide back the plunger and place an 1/8” felt wad in the in the tool, followed by your paper patched bullet. This will seat your bullet the appropriate distance into the throat, yet not leave an air gap between the bullet base and case mouth. 
You will work out a powder fouling mitigation routine that gives you the best accuracy. Make sense?

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Hello, RSW.  While I cannot be absolutly certain the sights on gun came from the factory..the patina on both match the rest of rifle exactly.  Front is a Ballard windage adjustable..I couldn't find any original Ballard inserts so I had Distant Thunder make up a complete set of inserts including 2 sizes of pin head post & flat top post, as well as appatures.  The rear tang is a Ballard Mid-Range vernier.  Both sights are very tight and precise.  It seems we think alike.  I have two Tom Ballard adj. P.P. moulds with cup base.  One is a straight sided and the other is tapered.  In addition, I have a Fred Leeth adj. P.P. mould with a larger meplat with cup base as well.  The tapered ones patch up just as yours..with base nearly to groove dia.  I have been using a thin paper wad placed in primer pocket before priming for years..even in my .22 Hornet brass.  I have thought of breech seating..though I have always been curious just how acccurate these rifles could be with fixed..as they were originally shot at Creedmoor.  I made up a brass 36" drop tube & all charges are weighed using Swiss 1 1/2.  I might just try B.S...simplifies the ctg. case issue.  And of course bullet is fully supported.  I could probably spend the rest of my shooting life learning all the accuracy secrets of this rifle.  Thanks for reply.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 8:50am
Print Post  
You mention that your case mouths are now a whopping .425".  If you take a .409" bullet and add .020" for case wall thickness, that would take you to .429".  Most modern 40-70 SS chambers are about .432" to .434".  Could it be that your chamber is too tight and the brass doesn't have enough room to release the larger Brooks bullet?  Bob

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
RSW youv'e got me thinking now of B.S. P.P...Just wondering if you or anyone has tried the old Chase paper patch?  This would simplify patching..and insure patch seperation at muzzle.  There is mention of placing patch in B.S. & bottom edge of patch curls inward..this would insure bullet doesn't shoot thru patch..if that is even a concern with the quick obturation of black powder..but it sounds like seater has a radiused bottom edge in order to be able to curl paper?

IP Logged

RSW
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
My best accuracy with breech seated paper patched bullets has been with a regular double lap patch, applied damp. The sizing in the paper makes the patch adhere to the bullet well enough for light handling and breech seating. The patch extends about 1/3rd bullet diameter beyond the base and is folded over tight to base. Stand the bullets on base and allow patches to dry (some use a hot plate to speed drying, I live in the desert so for me, air drying is fast enough). Patches leave bullet at muzzle as I find plenty of paper shreds from sides and bases on the ground in front of firing position.
I have not tried Chase patches. The only shooter I know who ever used them was years ago and he had about one out of three bullets fail to breech seat properly as the patch would slide back partially off the bullet base during seating. It also takes a precisely fitted plunger in your breech seating tool so the paper does not get between the plunger and inside case wall. Someone will probably jump in here a tell me how mistaken I am about Chase patches and they work perfectly. If that expert will share their secret to making them work, we will all be enlightened.
One further tidbit on breech seating PP bullets. My initial tests of rubbing a film of powdered graphite on patched bullet seems to eliminate some of my flyers. I wipe between shots with a damp then dry patch. I've been busy writing a book for about a year and have not had extra time to finish my shooting tests to confirm my initial results abut the graphite but it's something you might consider.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2015 at 1:26am
Print Post  
When I was shooting P.P. in my Shillen barreled Borchardt .22 Hornet, I was vibratory tumbling patched bullets in Moly for 1/2 Hr.  Running them thru .226 sizer put a shiny hard finish on paper.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint