Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens stock finish (Read 6846 times)
possible

Stevens stock finish
Jul 7th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I have a CPA rifle butt stock that I would like to finish, as much as possible, like the original Stevens stocks.
Does anyone have an idea of what the Stevens company might have used on their rifles?

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens stock finish
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Talk to Paul Shuttleworth.

IP Logged

.22Hepburn
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2015 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Talk to Paul Shuttleworth.

IP Logged

possible

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 7:59am
Print Post  
CPA recommends Tru-Oil; so I guess that means that an oil finish will suffice.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Most of the old original Stevens I've owned had a pretty shiny finish. I see a lot of them with satin finishes, but I always figured they were refinished. 
Many old gun makers used a oil finish, but started out with a dip in varnish to seal the raw wood first, and this sped up the oil finish process a lot.
I've gotten best results with Minn Wax Wipe On Poly, which I started using when Permalyn Sealer got too expensive. It gives a wonderful finish, that's durable, and easy to touch up if damaged. It also can be gradually built up, so you can watch it as you apply coats, and stop when it reaches the level of sheen you want to achieve. It comes in gloss or satin also, so getting the perfect look is easy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Would second Minn Wax Wipe On Poly. First coat or two does not build up and can seal the inletting. May have to use wet/dry sandpaper a time or two before the pores are filled. Nice tough finish. Polish to suit.
Chuck

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
How are you guys applying the Minwax?  Brush, hand, wax??

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
I have had good luck using Tru Oil to touch up Stevens stocks and with 0000 steel wool to clean the stock. What I do is wipe it off immediately with a clean cloth. This prevents build up and ending up with an overly shiny finish.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
    The appearance of a stock finish film has a lot to do with its refractive index, and how it matches the refractive index of the wood fiber cellulose.   Tru-Oil is similar to a real linseed oil finish or a high-oil varnish (which is a good match to the wood), while the polyurethanes are not.   As a result the polyurethane lacks the appearance of depth that you get with the oils.  You can get a nice polish, either shiny or matte, but it still looks kind of "flat".

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
I'm curious as to how well a polyurethane will adhere to a base coat of linseed oil used to bring out the color and grain of the wood.  Does the poly chemically bond with the oil or does it require a mechanical bond i.e. sanding?

JS

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Oil-based polyurethane sticks just fine to linseed oil w/o sanding.  (Avoid the water soluable Varathane.)

I refinished the Douglas Fir floors in my house by sanding them to bare wood, applying a really wet coat of Watco's Danish Oil Finish (essentially linseed oil with some dryers and other stuff) and then laid the poly right on top.

Eight years later and the floors still look fine.  The finish has never peeled or worn through.

Should be just fine on a gunstock.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Poly will not stick to anything with stearic acid in it, like some of the sanding sealers. Comes off in strips. Guess how I know.
Chuck

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
I apply Wipe On Poly with a brush on new stocks, as it will really soak in the first few coats, and needs plenty of saturation. But I've also applied it with just an old T shirt, and it works equally well. I make sure I wipe off any excess after it's set for a few minutes, as excess will increase drying time between applications.
I wet sand with WOP between coats, which eliminates the raised feathers in the grain. Normally on new wood I do between 8-12 coats, but I do two a day. One in the morning, and another before bed. 
WOP will cover almost any existing finish, without reaction. But I always apply a small area as a test, and check it later in the day to see if it might stay tacky. If it's dried, then I proceed as usual.
I have used it touch up repairs I make in stocks, and it works great to blend existing finishes in after repair. Unlike other poly finishes, WOP can be easily repaired if it gets dinged or scratched, and not have to strip the whole stock to do so. It's as good as my favorite old Laurel Mountain Permalyn Sealer, but a bunch cheaper.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I've always used either a good spar varnish or Tru Oil.  What irritated me for years was spending 25 or 30 bucks for a quart of varnish and have it get too thick to use after I'd opened the can.  It only takes a couple of ozs to finish a stock.  So I canned it.  I used 4 oz jelly jars and a hot water bath.  I have several jars that I canned in 2012 that are still as good as new.  It does take a little heat from a propane torch to get the lid loose.  The Tru Oil lasts a whole lot longer when I just poke a small hole in the foil seal instead of removing the whole seal.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint